584,857 active members*
4,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Chinese CNC Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Can you give me direction to where to buy chinese lathe headstock (maybe large spindle bore) ?
    Sorry for the late, we have no source for the lathe headstock.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

If anyone want 8-tool automatic turret head, this could interests you: https://youtu.be/EBXyO_Fw4GU

The problem with Bolton Tools is their terrible warranty service and service in general. Know that if it breaks or wears out you can never buy parts for it. I had been working with them to try and figure out what was wrong with my BT1337G lathe and while it was still under a year it had worn lead screw/nuts, a bad motor at first 2 weeks and several other issues. First the told me motor would take 3 months to get so o had to order one on my dollar in the states and the rest the had drawn out past the warranty period despite Daniel telling me he had ordered my prts. Another year went by and I called every month sometimes more and now 2.5 years later I have a machine that’s been dead against the wall I can’t even get rid of for free for anyone to pick up. If service matters to you and you want a cheap machine buy Grizzly. Otherwise if you plan to use the machine daily or even periodically than buy a used industrial machine. I have a gt27 lathe probably 20 years old and it machines to tight tolerances still today. It also cost me the same used as the Bolton did new and the size isn’t far different even though it’s overall capacity is less. Take it for what it’s worth but it cost me a lot of headache and frustration I could’ve avoided if I didn’t buy it. I also know I’m not the only one and I’m sure some have had good experiences but the real question are you willing to risk becoming a bad experience to save a few dollars??

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedIngen View Post
    Wow Bolton Tools have definitely increased their line of products since the last time I looked.

All of their lathes look really good at a pretty impressive price point. I see that they also offer Siemens 808d controller as well, which may be better than the GSK.

Smithy Machine Tools also does something similar and from what I gather they have decent reviews on their Chinese imported lathes. Perhaps Bolton Tools will be similar.

Hopefully someone else chimes in on Bolton Tools lathes, if not you can post your review after your purchase.

Not to forget to mention after the warranty was up I even offered to pay for the parts. Those parts maybe added up around $140 and yet they still never got them for me. I just wanted it fixed. They kept telling me they would call me back the next day and I never ever had a single call come the next day. Bolton tools completely blew me off over what probably cost $50 in warranty parts to them and they could’ve made $100 profit off me because I didn’t care about anything but getting that lathe running again. When it ran good it was great but maybe two handfuls of times I can recall it ran at its top. Been contemplating converting to cnc and even started it but after buying an industrial lathe I hadn’t anymore need. To fix it and sell would be great but if I have to convert to cnc just to find a buyer and then take a huge loss that’s hits wrong. Btw search online about other horror stories they do exist. Usually I don’t say much about stuff like this and would’ve never if it wasn’t heading into 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    The problem with Bolton Tools is their terrible warranty service and service in general. Know that if it breaks or wears out you can never buy parts for it. I had been working with them to try and figure out what was wrong with my BT1337G lathe and while it was still under a year it had worn lead screw/nuts, a bad motor at first 2 weeks and several other issues. First the told me motor would take 3 months to get so o had to order one on my dollar in the states and the rest the had drawn out past the warranty period despite Daniel telling me he had ordered my prts. Another year went by and I called every month sometimes more and now 2.5 years later I have a machine that’s been dead against the wall I can’t even get rid of for free for anyone to pick up. If service matters to you and you want a cheap machine buy Grizzly. Otherwise if you plan to use the machine daily or even periodically than buy a used industrial machine. I have a gt27 lathe probably 20 years old and it machines to tight tolerances still today. It also cost me the same used as the Bolton did new and the size isn’t far different even though it’s overall capacity is less. Take it for what it’s worth but it cost me a lot of headache and frustration I could’ve avoided if I didn’t buy it. I also know I’m not the only one and I’m sure some have had good experiences but the real question are you willing to risk becoming a bad experience to save a few dollars??

I have somewhere between 35–42000lbs total in equipment sitting in my home garage on a 4 inch slab and powered off a 100a main. Not difficult to use industrial equipment in a home environment and if you buy from a machine dealer they will possibly include a phase converter along with cad/cam in some cases. In my case they do. Also my used industrial machines have been better than anything Bolton sells. I’ve owned Bolton, Grizzly, Precision Mathews, Enco, Zay among the so called cheapies and those early days when I ignored everyone who said go commercial and at the time for some reason I couldn’t find the good deals everyone claimed existed or just worries about the size factor. Well I’m packed with little room to walk and the equipment. Heats the garage. Today everywhere I look industrial machines are ridiculously cheap and most fit through a 7ft garage door but “may” require an 8-10ft ceiling or if Sheetrock it needs to be removed above the z axis on a vmc for homing clearance. My ceilings are 9’ so not had an issue here and vmc’s clear a foot. So I would really ask yourself or anyone for that matter to reconsider used and be willing to go check it out and use an indicator. There is a significant difference in quality even on an aged or lightly worn machine.

Quote Originally Posted by zipfactor View Post
    I haven't been able to find much on the CNC lathes distributed by Bolton Tools / Toolots. As much as I hate to say it, I'm considering one of their machines for a number of reasons.

I could purchase a older used Japanese / Taiwanese CNC lathe, but there are a lot of pitfalls there regarding condition, potential for replacement of expensive eletronics, etc. Also, the shear weight of some of the turning centers and their power requirements really do not make it feasible for my shop.

I've looked at more supposedly reputable companies selling what appears to be very similar machines (for more than double the price) that provide "support", only to find people complaining of the terrible and non-existent support they provide.

Now I'm seriously considering one of their CNC lathes, specifically the Kimhoo TF8L lathe with the GSK 980 TDc control. I've heard decent things about the GSK control, just not much on the lathe itself. After looking around extensively, it seems that this same lathe or some re-badged version of it is distributed by many of the higher priced "reputable" companies. After speaking with them (Bolton), it seems they have most of the parts in stock. I've even called posing as a customer with the same lathe seeking a specific part, and they were very helpful.

Any thoughts on this lathe or input on Bolton / Toolots?
    - - - Updated - - -

Not to forget to mention after the warranty was up I even offered to pay for the parts. Those parts maybe added up around $140 and yet they still never got them for me. I just wanted it fixed. They kept telling me they would call me back the next day and I never ever had a single call come the next day. Bolton tools completely blew me off over what probably cost $50 in warranty parts to them and they could’ve made $100 profit off me because I didn’t care about anything but getting that lathe running again. When it ran good it was great but maybe two handfuls of times I can recall it ran at its top. Been contemplating converting to cnc and even started it but after buying an industrial lathe I hadn’t anymore need. To fix it and sell would be great but if I have to convert to cnc just to find a buyer and then take a huge loss that’s hits wrong. Btw search online about other horror stories they do exist. Usually I don’t say much about stuff like this and would’ve never if it wasn’t heading into 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post

Page 2 of 2 12