585,575 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with macros

Hi I was curious I am an operator/programmer been running manual and CNC's for the last 13 years and we are like a dying breed. getting harder and harder to find machinists. we have gotten so desperate we have taken people off the street to train them. and most dont even want to learn they are happy as a button pusher. we are looking for ways to make the machines more userfriendly we have to idiot proof everything there always crashing machines. I was thinking of macros are there any good macros out there for this type of use? anywhere i can get some examples. ive used them in the past for things like cutting balls for ball valves and they seem to work pretty good.

070406-1109 EST USA

afterburn25:

You need to be more specific. What do your operators do that cause crashes?

For example are they allowed or required to modify offsets, or tool parameters. If these are some of the problems, then you might limit the range that a particular parameter can have. Suppose we have and end mill with a nominal diameter value of 0.5". This will be stored in #100. The operator adjusts a some parameter to correct for wear. Let #500 contain this correct value that is used by the machine for determining cutter path. If the value in #500 is too large, like 1.5" when is should be near 0.5", then a crash may occur.

You can use
    IF [ [#500 - #100] GT 0.010 ] then GOTO error condition
    to prevent a crash.

If the defined value for the tool is greater than 0.510, then an error is generated.

This would error on the tool being defined greater than 0.010 over nominal size.

well the major problem we have is that they dont care give them a program and they hit the cycle start running at 100% rapid and they walk away they do this on an un proven program. not a whole lot i can do about it but i would like to know where i can go to get some macros.

070407-2122 EST USA

afterburn25:

In your program make the first moves towards the part with G01 and whatever slow feed rate you want instead of using G00 to approach the part.

In post #11 at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24028 there are some links to some macros.

You really need to study the HAAS manual in the MACROS section. Then create some of you own simple code to play with the capability.

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    070407-2122 EST USA

afterburn25:

In your program make the first moves towards the part with G01 and whatever slow feed rate you want instead of using G00 to approach the part.

In post #11 at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24028 there are some links to some macros.

You really need to study the HAAS manual in the MACROS section. Then create some of you own simple code to play with the capability.

Peter Smid has a pretty good book on Macros too. I've scanned it and am about to sit down and study it in the next couple of weeks. Sub programs and macros weren't taught to me in school so I ordered a couple of his books from Amazon. His presentation of the subject he is writting about is clear and logical, really easy to follow. Hope that helps
    Scott
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain