584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Coolant Going Rancid Situation

Coolant Going Rancid Situation

Im a Technician for a college and here we have two machines. Both hurcos, A VM1 and a TM8i. They are both nice machines, however we have a problem with our coolant going bad after about 2 weeks. I know that the coolant life is expected to be short when the machines sit for a long time without use. Sometimes they sit here without use for several weeks a time, the sometimes they are used like crazy for weeks. We have a skimmer on both of them, and it helps a little bit, but still not a solution to the problem. So im asking for advice on some ideas on how to help preserve the life of the coolant. Im not sure if theres some coolant types out there that would be good for our situation (we currently used Wallover ws8800), or if we need to add some things to the coolant to prevent it from becoming a science project and smelling like death. If anyone has anything to add to help then that would be great!

Re: Coolant Going Rancid Situation

Well I have been told by some "experts" what I do does not work.
    Well, I have had the same coolant ( soluble oil) for over 10 years and never drained it, only added due to evaporation.
    I use a black light on the tank . I do this where the coolant is returned and the sump is stirred up. I do not use the Hurco Sump, but use a separate tank ( 5 Gal )
    You have to be careful as the black light bulb ( 40 -60 watt) gets pretty hot and will explode if anything is splashed onto the hot bulb, The bulb is where no splashes occur and the raw coolant spread out returning to the sump and about 12 " away . You do not want to look at the light ! Cover the tank.
    If I have not used the coolant for awhile , it will go pink with bacteria. I turn on the sump pump and circulate the coolant for an hour before I run the Hurco.
    it is cleaned up by then . You may want to run it more often to have it ready for action at any time. Coolants go bad due to organics, make sure no food every gets in the system.
    The light is on when ever the coolant pump is running.
    Rich

If you shut off coolant flow to your work, you want to have a bypass and have the coolant flowing back into the sump to keep maximum light exposure

While skimming the coolant is important its equally as important to keep it aerated! We keep an aquarium pump circulating the coolant so that its constantly moving and all of it gets exposed to the air.

Good Point JG !
    When I fan out the returning coolant for maximum black light impingement the coolant is also aerated as it drips/flows from the fan shape plate into the tank

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Good Point JG !
    When I fan out the returning coolant for maximum black light impingement the coolant is also aerated as it drips/flows from the fan shape plate into the tank
    If he goes long periods without the machine being used then there needs to be something in the actual sump not just where the coolant returns from the spindle.

Certain coolants have better antimicrobial anti fungal properties. Semi synthetics usually have longer sump life. I personaly use Trim micro emulsion oil and have yet to have it go bad even sitting for a few weeks between uses. Its pricey but works well for me.

I use Rustlick Ultracut 375 R and I believe it's synthetic. It never gets rancid. I don't maintain it at all, just use it.

Hi, We are a new member so just read your message. We have a TM8i and we use Hangsterfers 500CF and 2 way lube oil from McInnes. The coolant hasn't got all the bacterias that most man made coolants have and we have a refractometer for checking our coolant, hope this helps