584,316 active members*
6,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Taig Micro Mill model 2019 Collet & cutter help!

Taig Micro Mill model 2019 Collet & cutter help!

hey all -

i'm a brand spanking new CNC person, and i've just received my Taig 2019 with ER16 spindle. i've installed the stepper motors, and set the mill up, but i don't have any collets or cutters yet. i'm trying to figure out which collets to get, and where to find a basic assortment of end mills. I'm building an airplane, and I bought the mill because there are a host of parts that i need to make, and it's cheaper to buy a mill and learn how to build the parts than it is to get someone to build the stuff for me. Most of what i'll be doing is either aluminum, or acrylic, and i also need a cutter to do text engraving. I'm having trouble trying to figure out which collets fit my machine, and also having trouble sorting through all the different types of cutters. Could someone give me a good starting point for this stuff?

thanks for any help!
    cj

You need ER16 collets. You can buy them from any Taig dealer in a few sizes, or buy a complete set from Enco, MSC, Usshoptools.com and about every other industrial supplier.
    Generally you will want at least the 3/8" and 3/16" collets.

As for end mills, you generally need a few different diameters and types depending on the jobs you will do. Again, you can get them from just about any industrial supplier. Make sure the shank sizes match the collets you do buy. Generally 3/8" and 3/16" shank are the most common shank sizes you will use.

Quote Originally Posted by conlimon View Post
    hey all -

i'm a brand spanking new CNC person, and i've just received my Taig 2019 with ER16 spindle. i've installed the stepper motors, and set the mill up, but i don't have any collets or cutters yet. i'm trying to figure out which collets to get, and where to find a basic assortment of end mills. I'm building an airplane, and I bought the mill because there are a host of parts that i need to make, and it's cheaper to buy a mill and learn how to build the parts than it is to get someone to build the stuff for me. Most of what i'll be doing is either aluminum, or acrylic, and i also need a cutter to do text engraving. I'm having trouble trying to figure out which collets fit my machine, and also having trouble sorting through all the different types of cutters. Could someone give me a good starting point for this stuff?

thanks for any help!
    cj
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Definitely agree with what he said. If you can, just get a whole set of collets, but even if you don't make sure you at least add a 1/8" collet to the two sizes recommended above. I noticed you said you were going to do text engraving, and the standard for engraving bits is always 1/8".
    Whtever you do, don't forget to pick up an eludium q37 modulator as well. The left-handed ones work better for the Taigs. You can usually find them cheap from any tool shop that sells good selection of billet stretchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    Whtever you do, don't forget to pick up an eludium q37 modulator as well. The left-handed ones work better for the Taigs. You can usually find them cheap from any tool shop that sells good selection of billet stretchers.

You're 6 days late

EM