584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Lathe > Conversion of turn wizards code for a slant bed tooled lathe

Conversion of turn wizards code for a slant bed tooled lathe

I have a CNC lathe with tooling running behind the spindle on a slant bed. Is there a macro to use with the turn wizards to change the code for the rear side tool approach?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Conversion of turn wizards code for a slant bed tooled lathe

There is no difference between the slant bed and a normal bed lathe. Picture standing at the end of the lathe and rotating the carriage around the spindle axis. The cutting geometry is the same as is the axis move directions.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I agree to a point, but the movement in front is right to left. If you spin around it needs to be left to right when machining from the same end. I cannot get the set ups to accept that type of tool movement. I get error messages. Am I still missing something?
    Thanks for your help.
    Scott

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Z minus is still towards the chuck and X minus is still towards the spindle centerline. Depending on how you set your tools, the spindle direction could be CW or CCW.

Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks again Jim. After I replied to your answer I thought about it more and agreed you had to be right. I went to wizards and did an OD arc. All the roughing operations ran as you would expect. Then at the very end of the code the actual arc to clean up the piece runs backwards iinto the work rather than away. I remember now I figured this out once and changed the arc command to make it work. It is screwy this way with facing as well. Making the taper the wrong direction.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pancheau View Post
    ......... I remember now I figured this out once and changed the arc command to make it work. It is screwy this way with facing as well. Making the taper the wrong direction.
    Thanks

That is very strange. I would expect that if it did the roughing cuts correctly then it would also do the cleanup in the correct direction. Now I'm really confused.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I haven't got back to the lathe yet but I remember if it is a go2 arc you have to change to go3 and vice versa. Thanks again, I think I can play around now and make myself some notes and it will be workable.