585,708 active members*
3,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where can I go...

I need a little help with calculating the start points and/or end points of angles and arc blends. For instance: [hypothetically} a lathe part that has a 30° taper that blends into a .125 (G02) radius that might need to blend into a 1.25 (G03) radius. It isn't often but sometimes I'll get a part to program that will have some kind of radius to an angle on it and I don't have a CAD/CAM package to fall on. I was once taught how to 'find the triangles' and calculate the points using simple trigonometry. Unfortunately, after [almost] learning this six years ago, I haven't had a need to use this knowledge since. Can somebody here point me to some kind of tutorial somewhere that will help me teach myself these skills?

Thank you.

PR

Re: Where can I go...

hi / share your drawing, and i will post a video about building that inside CAD

if you like it, i may share the CAD, developed by razor blade and skidrow

win-win deal
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

One method is to make the drawing in AutoCAD, and extract the coordinates of the joints.

What control are you at? Fanuc has a option called "Direct drawing dimensions programming" which helps you with problems like this

The Machinery's handbook has been one book that i got to to solve problems in the past the newest go to for me is daft sight (free version) which is similar to autocad

Thank you for all the replies to this thread. The problem here is I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CAD/CAM. I am expected to make these calculations with nothing more than a pencil, paper and a calculator. My employer does not have a CAD/CAM package. Uploading an ITAR print to a public message board and waiting for a good samaritan to calculate the points for me is not an option either.

Quote Originally Posted by ProToZyKo View Post
    What control are you at? Fanuc has a option called "Direct drawing dimensions programming" which helps you with problems like this
    Thanks for the suggestion but I am at an older Mitsubishi control that does not have support for this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs60 View Post
    The Machinery's handbook has been one book that i got to to solve problems in the past the newest go to for me is daft sight (free version) which is similar to autocad
    Thanks for the tip. I will check my copy (27th edition) when I get a chance.

To summarize, I need to learn how to make these calculations at the machine. I've done some google searches but I haven't really been able to find anything that would help me. I've been working a lot of OT lately so my computer time is quite limited. I will continue my searching this weekend. If anybody has some links they could shoot me or has the time to help my one on one through this forum and/or via e-mail I would be quite grateful.

Regards,

PR

Ok. Post your drawing. Somebody will calculate it for you. In future, you may follow the same calculation method.

in classical sectors, there may be "standard trigonometric tables", and "tiny math dictionaries ( or guides, etc )", developed for machinists, that helps calculating common things

some write their own, and stick them to the back side of the control panel; ( cigarettes are sttored in the upper left corner; drinks after the grinding machine, behind the metalic wardrobe, etc )

on the mill i have excel templates, ready to calculate common stuff

I will check my copy (27th edition) when I get a chance
    what you need is inside the 1st edition

I was once taught how to 'find the triangles' and calculate the points using simple trigonometry. Unfortunately, after [almost] learning this six years ago, I haven't had a need to use this knowledge since
    where is that guy now ?

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/t...triangles.html

also, just like mr sinha said, please post your drawing / kindly

Okay, I'm sorry it took so long. Working 70+ hrs. I can't provide the actual print and the job is complete so I don't even have access to it for reference purposes. I have provided a (very) rough sketch that I managed to draw in MS-Paint. I apologize for the crudeness of the "sketch". I just need to know how to calculate Points 1-4. How do I make the triangles to trig out the points?

Thanks.

You can't determine the X coordinate of P1 and P4 from what you have there. And you need to know the Y distance between the start and end.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Web machinist is a $ cheap software that has a simple lathe cam and will do what you want and it will comp for the tool radius plus a lot of other good info. google it

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You can't determine the X coordinate of P1 and P4 from what you have there. And you need to know the Y distance between the start and end.
    It is a lathe part.
    X-coordinates can be determined, but not the Z-coordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrhyan View Post
    Okay, I'm sorry it took so long. Working 70+ hrs
    if you dont get into math and/or cad, you will be soon working 700+ i hope you get payed for those extra-hours ...

Very sorry about that. Thanks for the help. Lets say P1 is Z-.400. Do I need to provide a location for the center point of the arcs? Technically it doesn't really matter as the job in question is complete. All I need to know is HOW to make the calculations. If it will help at all, you can make up the points and just teach me how to create the triangles. I hope this helps a little. If we can't use my crappy Paint sketch I'll see if I can't google some kind of print or pull one of Peter Smid's sketches from the CD (if i still have it).

As always, I appreciate all the efforts of the community.

hy / in attach archive are 2 movies : one with using autoCAD to get the coords, and another with using classical trigonometry

i hope you find them useful

at post #8 i shared a link to online math

even if you master this calculations, there is no need to use them : is enough to understand them, and after that use a CAD or something, or get a paper with "fundamental trigonometic values"

kindly

ps : in the shared video, i have forgot to add formulas for a point; pls find attached the point G; now, my work, is completed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trigonometrie-5-638.jpg   01.jpg   at-last-my-greatest-work-has-been-completed.jpg