584,879 active members*
5,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > successfully installed Full 4th axis on Fusion 640M.

successfully installed Full 4th axis on Fusion 640M.

I know there are some of you out there that wish they had a full 4th axis on their Fusion 640M controlled machine. I just finished installing mine on my VTC-200 and it was pretty easy. It works perfect.
    you need the factory mazak 4th axis add on parameters sheet to even have a chance to pull this of. I have this document and am willing to share it. gotta get it converted over to PDF file.

To date i have Installed a Renishaw MP700 Probing system, 4th axis, and switched my machine over to run from compact flash drives instead of hard drive. Your control will boot 33% faster running
    a CF drive in place of the HD. The control runs faster with less lag.

What you will need.

-Rotary table with correct servo

I bought a rotary table off another mazak that had the correct servo but you can really use anything as long as you
    have the correct servo on it.

-correct MDS drive for your servo and daisy chain cable.

I used MDS-C1-V1-10 drive (1KW)

-Mazak or Homemade cable
    The cable is kinda expensive to make. It was going to cost 800 in parts to do it right. I just opted to buy one from mazak for $1200 shipped. It had to
    be made and only took 4 days to get! gotta love mazak for that.

Pictures and info to follow soon. Just letting you guys know you can do this yourself and the machine is setup to support it.

Re: successfully installed Full 4th axis on Fusion 640M.

👍

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk

Hey!

Came across your post. We have a couple Mazak 640 Vert mills and a J600 3+2 axis. Would like to discuss how you added the Renishaw probe (Its on our J600 and I need to include in the processor). Also since you added the 4th, any help with driving the axis in Inverse Time (DPM) would
    be greatly appreciated... Interesting about using the flash drive as well. If our posts are to large we end up dumping to the HDD currently. Would be nice to read from the Flash!!!

Thanks,
    Scott

Hope to hear back...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter161 View Post
    Hey!

Came across your post. We have a couple Mazak 640 Vert mills and a J600 3+2 axis. Would like to discuss how you added the Renishaw probe (Its on our J600 and I need to include in the processor). Also since you added the 4th, any help with driving the axis in Inverse Time (DPM) would
    be greatly appreciated... Interesting about using the flash drive as well. If our posts are to large we end up dumping to the HDD currently. Would be nice to read from the Flash!!!

Thanks,
    Scott

Hope to hear back...
    You can plug a renishaw Omi into your 640
    To make a probe work. You can also wire in an
    OMM instead of an OMI. The Omi is the easiest.

I have a few tips for you on the probe install
    Once you start it. What models of machines with
    640 control do you have?

From what I know inverse time feed is an option
    That needs to be unlocked with a code.

Running programs directly from the flash cards is an option also. You can change machine over to run the operating system from a hdd to compact flash card but it does not increase the size of a program you can run. Your stuck using
    The tape mode for large programs.

Do you have a 5 axis Mazak with 640 control? I need a set of parameters from a 5 axis 640m mazak for my trunnion table project

5 axis trunnion

I might be able to help you with the 5 axis ladder. Does your control have windows 2000 on it? How do we discuss privately what I have and what I need?

Wow. this is a great topic. VTC300c 640m here. I would also like to know the juicy details of expanding the features of my machine. The HD is old and I was already thinking about replacing it before it crashes. Also, for debugging purposes, has anybody figured out how to deactivate any axis we choose? I know the MDS drives deactivate when the little switch is turned to "F", but the control still expects drives to be ready. So I get an error 22 when I switch a drive to "F".

What exactly are you trying to do? when you unplug the rotary table the control is smart enough to know the axis isn't there. the axis letter disappears from the screen and the machine runs fine. You never unplug/plug it with the power on.

Quote Originally Posted by stts View Post
    Wow. this is a great topic. VTC300c 640m here. I would also like to know the juicy details of expanding the features of my machine. The HD is old and I was already thinking about replacing it before it crashes. Also, for debugging purposes, has anybody figured out how to deactivate any axis we choose? I know the MDS drives deactivate when the little switch is turned to "F", but the control still expects drives to be ready. So I get an error 22 when I switch a drive to "F".
    Could you inform..what parameter need to change..?

Actually I did figure this out. Its a Mitubishi Drive disable procedure. All drives can be disabled and computer only thinks its connected to drives, or just individual drives can be disabled so the other drives can be exorcized. This is for the Fusion 640 control running MDS drives. Its a bit lengthy with pictures to make things clear so the procedure is best obtained from Mitsubishi. They freely emailed it to me so i guess they will send it to anybody. Email me if you cant get a copy from them. But here is the copy pasted text without the pics. The pics show how to route comm cable SH21 around the jumped out drive and how to remove the terminator connector from the drive daisy chain and put it on the HR353 board where Drives connected too.

MAZAK
    FCA640M
    Disabling Drives on Mills
    www.meau.com Mitsubishi Electric Automation, Inc. Page 1 of 4
    Purpose:
    This procedure explains how to disable individual or multiple drives on Mazak Machining Center.
    Overview:
    It will be explained how to disable individual and multiple drives on a Mill. This procedure is helpful when trying to determine whether a problem is being caused by the entire drive system or possibly, one individual drive. Once procedure is completed all wiring and parameters must be changed back to original setup.
    Tools Needed:
    May need a longer SH21 Cable.
    Instructions:
    I. . Disabling drives on Machining Centers (M640M).
    A. Disabling all drives.
    1. Press [Param] soft key.
    2. Press [Machine Param] soft key.
    3. K parameters should appear if not press [Spindle Skip] soft key.
    4. Arrow to parameter K106. Change bit 7 to a 1.
    Note: Make sure when turning on bit 7 not to change any of the other bits for example if it was set to 00100000 after it would be 10100000.
    5. Power off NC.
    6. Power off Main Breaker.
    7. Remove Terminator from drive system.
    8. Place Terminator on SV1 of HR353 board.
    9. Power on machine. Machine should come up ready, if you try to move an axis it will not physically move, but will move on the Position screen.
    MAZAK
    FCA640M
    www.meau.com Mitsubishi Electric Automation, Inc. Page 2 of 4
    B. Disabling individual drives not connected to CV.
    1. Press [Param] soft key.
    2. Press [Machine Param] soft key.
    3. K parameters should appear if not press [Spindle Skip] soft key,
    4. Arrow to parameter K106. Change bit 7 to a 1.
    Note: Make sure when turning on bit 7 not to change any of the other bits. For example if it was set to 00100000 after it would be 10100000.
    5. Power off NC.
    6. Power off Main Breaker.
    7. Write down how the drive system is connected.
    8. You can now remove any drive if the system that is not connected to the CV unit, by removing the CN1A cable from the drive you are disabling and connecting it to the another drive in the system.
    Note: In this example the first drive is bypassed and the communication goes directly to the second drive in the system.
    9. Power Main breaker and NC.
    MAZAK
    FCA640M
    www.meau.com Mitsubishi Electric Automation, Inc. Page 3 of 4
    II. Disabling Spindle/Servo drive connected to CV Unit.
    A. Disabling Spindle drive connected to CV unit.
    1. Disconnect CN1B from the drive connected to the CV and move it to the another drive in the system.
    2. Disconnect CN4 from the drive connected to the CV unit and move the CN4 cable to the same drive you moved CN1B to.
    3. Power on NC (You will get alarms that is ok for now).
    4. Press Diagnosis soft key.
    5. Press Version soft key.
    6. Press Right most Menu key.
    7. Type in 1131 and press [Input].
    8. Press the [Spindle Monitor] soft key.
    9. Press the [Param] soft key (Box with SP parameters should appear).
    10. Scroll until you get to parameter SP041 and write down this value it will be needed later.
    11. Change SP041 to 0000.
    12. Press the [Servo Monitor] soft key.
    13. Press the [Param] soft key (Box with SV parameters should appear).
    14. Scroll to parameter SV036 for which ever servo drive CN4 is now connected to.
    15. Input the SP041 value into SV036 for the servo drive connected to CN4.
    16. Power off NC and main breaker.
    17. Power machine back on. Machine should come up ready.
    MAZAK
    FCA640M
    www.meau.com Mitsubishi Electric Automation, Inc. Page 4 of 4
    B. Disabling Servo drive connected to CV unit.
    1. Disconnect CN1B from the drive connected to the CV and move it to a different drive in the system.
    2. Disconnect CN4 from the drive connected to the CV unit and move the CN4 cable to the same drive that you moved CN1B to.
    3. Power on NC (You will get alarms that is ok for now).
    4. Press Diagnosis soft key.
    5. Press Version soft key.
    6. Press Right most Menu key.
    7. Type in 1131 and the press [Input].
    8. Press the [Servo Monitor] soft key.
    9. Press the [Param] soft key (Box with SV parameters should appear).
    10. Scroll until you get to parameter SV036 and write down this value it will be needed later.
    Make sure to also write down for what axis it was set.
    11. Change SV036 to 0000.
    12. Press the [Spindle Monitor] soft key.
    13. Press the [Param] soft key (Box with SP parameters should appear).
    14. Scroll to parameter SP041 for which ever drive CN4 is now connected to.
    15. Input the SV036 value into SP041.
    16. Power off NC and main breaker.
    17. Power machine back on. Machine should come up ready.
    Note: In the above steps the servo drive was bypassed and connected to the spindle drive. If you are going into another servo drive then instead of using SP041, you have to change SV036 for whatever drive you are connecting CN4 to.

Hello,

Can somebody share the information about 4th axis?
    Table size, servo amp., servo motor, and parameters for 4th axis.

Hello everybody. I was wondering if someone could shed some light for me.

I have a 2010 Mazak 510C with a Matrix controller and recently purchased a used Calmotion indexer and control box. As of right now I will be manually operating the indexer to change angles.

I would like to graduate to having the machine output a signal to the control box via an RS232 and M-function cable. Does my control and electronics cabinet have the I/O connections or relay to be able to accomplish this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKorzan View Post
    Hello everybody. I was wondering if someone could shed some light for me.

I have a 2010 Mazak 510C with a Matrix controller and recently purchased a used Calmotion indexer and control box. As of right now I will be manually operating the indexer to change angles.

I would like to graduate to having the machine output a signal to the control box via an RS232 and M-function cable. Does my control and electronics cabinet have the I/O connections or relay to be able to accomplish this?

Thanks
    I'm not sure that everything can be done as cool as you want (pc-232), but something can be done.
    What do you want from the machine - a full 4th axis controlled by G-code, or an index 4th axis, controlled by M-codes? The M-code option is much more realistic. On our Mazak, the ladder obviously has everything to enable a full-fledged 4th axis, you just need to add and configure the drive. What is in your machine - I do not know.