585,758 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > Unsure About Running Stepper Motors
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Go over to the Electrical Engineering Dept (I KNOW they have one at TECH!) and find a lab assistant that knows how to read a schematic and use a scope and pulse generator.
    But it's a HobbyCNC board without schematics. WHATEVER WILL THEY DO?? *snicker*

There is a lot more to a drive than just getting voltage to it. You have to troubleshoot this one thing at a time. There are too many variables right now. First the motor drive has to be confirmed as working, then setup the software and finally the motors and mechanics. The fact the motor does not lock when you apply power is not a good sign. Even with no Step & Dir signal most chopper drives will lock the rotor on the motor at power up.
    I would also recommend they see if they are getting signal from their parallel port INTO the drive. As you said though, the drives not locking is usually a tell tale sign you've got problems with the driver IC's.

I am curious to know if they powered on the driver board without any motors hooked up to it?

PS stay out of the AG dept. Those people will HURT you! (:-)
    +1 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If the motors don't lock up when the board is powered up, then the board is not working, or the steppers are wired wrong. You might want to contact Dave, or join the HobbyCNC support forum at Yahoo if you can't get the help you need here.

Also, if you're trying to run TurboCNC in any OS other than Win98 or earlier, it will not work at all. Although it will work in Win98, it won't work well. Best to run it from DOS directly.

I can't seem to find the HobbyCNC support group on yahoo. Could someone please send a link to the site?

Thanks
    Tom

According to their website:

A link to this support group will be provided by us via your PayPal order SHIPPING acknowledgement.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Love Joys??

I am trying to order three sets of LoveJoy couplers to connect out milling table to our stepper motors. Does anyone know the max or typical RPM which a 200 oz-in stepper motor will run? We need to know this so we can order the correct coupler.

Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tmd019 View Post
    I am trying to order three sets of LoveJoy couplers to connect out milling table to our stepper motors. Does anyone know the max or typical RPM which a 200 oz-in stepper motor will run? We need to know this so we can order the correct coupler.

Thanks
    Tom
    http://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UI...s&keyword=PSF3

Here, try this page. I have used these several times over, now. Tough as nails and cheap.

I know that 600-800 RPM will be easily achievable, but in order to really tell you, the voltage being used is helpful as well.

Easiest solution? just follow the link, get 1/4" halves for each motor, and whatever bore size halves that fit your screw on the mill. Don't forget the rubber coupling.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

LoveJoy

According to their website:

Thanks
    Tom

Mach3

If you're using XP, try Mach3. watch the setup videos at www.machsupport.com

But get the motors to lock up first.

I have downloaded the Mach3 demo program and I was wondering what kind of initial setup will be needed in Mach3 before I can start running my g-code.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tmd019 View Post
    I have downloaded the Mach3 demo program and I was wondering what kind of initial setup will be needed in Mach3 before I can start running my g-code.

Tom
    Setup the port address and the pins, and that should be it. The video I mentioned earlier explains it very well.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

can't play videos

Setup the port address and the pins, and that should be it. The video I mentioned earlier explains it very well.
    Any ideas about how to run the videos on the mach support website?
    Nothing I do seems to run these videos.

Tom

They are shockwave flash videos....you have to have the flash player installed to view them.

Its a free download from macromedia.com's website.

Page 2 of 2 12