584,866 active members*
4,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Help wiring Haas VF2 transformer.

Help wiring Haas VF2 transformer.

I recently purchased a 98 Haas VF2 and I am having trouble wiring it. I am running a PL-40 40hp North America phase converter. I had questions about the phase converter output voltages being a little to high so I called the phase converter manufacturer. I was getting 263 VAC from T1-T3. They told me to swap the idler motor around and find the best voltage. The best I got was T1-T2 240VAC, T1-T3 245VAC, and T2-T3 258 VAC unloaded. They said that would work fine. The machine can take up to 260VAC. The problem I am having now is wiring the main T1 transformer. The manual reads like I should pick one of the 4 taps for my voltage. The machine came wired to the 243-227V tap. My question is where are the wires going to the upper left terminal board go. The manual shows them on the far left highest voltage tap on the bottom side. They were tied to the bottom side of the 243-227V tap which is directly connecting it to the main contactor. Is this right? The thing that made me question this is that I measured pins 2 to 3 on the servo vector drive and measured 370VDC. The manual says it should be 310 to 360VDC. Problem? I have ran the machine a little and it runs fine, no voltage alarms. But I am worried that this higher voltage will damage the drive if left that way. I moved the wires to the highest voltage tap (see picture) and am now getting 367VDC. The transformer says to move the 3 wires until the 115VAC terminals (red wires on bottom left terminal strip) read 115 to 125VAC. I have good voltage there. Does anyone know how the T1 transformer should be wired? Any help is appreciated. The 1993 Haas manual talks about this starting on page 69. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T1 Transformer2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	388420

Name:	Haas Manual2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	388422

Re: Help wiring Haas VF2 transformer.

Given your input voltage, the picture of the actual transformer seems to be the correct wiring. The manual shows an example of a 208V input.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I emailed Haas and they agreed it was correct. So it looks like the incoming 3 phase does not go through the transformer it just uses it as a termination point and the raw 3 phase goes directly to the spindle drive. The transformer is making the 120vac phase to phase to run the single phase loads like the solenoid, oil pumps, etc.

So do the 3 wires on the bottom always stay in the left most terminal? When I got the machine all wires were on the second from the left terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilley View Post
    So do the 3 wires on the bottom always stay in the left most terminal? When I got the machine all wires were on the second from the left terminal.
    Good question, and I'm not sure. That seems to be an autotransformer, so would be able to buck/boost the incoming voltage. My best guess is that the second from the left terminals would have a bit lower voltage than the far left terminals. There may be more instructions in the manual, and looks like there is instructions printed on the transformer, but I can't read them in the picture.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The more I think about it I don't know if it is correct. I still have to much voltage to the vector drive (367VDC). I'm worried the vector drive is getting to high of voltage that isn't enough to set off an alarm but may damage the drive over time. Can someone look at their T1 transformer connections? It seems like you should connect the top wires to the incoming voltage you have then you connect the bottom to the voltage you want out.

Here is a picture I found on google. I think this would be a connection if you had like 208VAC input so the input voltage would be on the far right tap. The 3 wires to the vector drive would be connected to the bottom side of whatever tap gives you the proper voltage in this case the orange wires for 243-227VAC. So I should leave the top wires where they are but move the bottom wires to the 243-227VAC tap. This should give the proper voltage to the vector drive and drop the voltage from 367VDC down to the acceptable range of 310 - 360 VDC. Maybe?

Name:	Haas T1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	388438

Here is another picture from google showing what mine looked like when I got it. In this case you don't need the transformer to modify the incoming voltage because you are already in the correct range so you just tie them together in the same terminal block. You just need the transformer to make the 120VAC single phase.

Attachment 388440

I think this is a picture of what I want. The incoming is on the high voltage left most tap. The output to the terminal strip is on the orange tap just to the right to get approximately 230VAC to the vector drive.

Name:	Haas T1 - 3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	388442

I think your last picture is correct.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm gonna run to the shop and try it. Hopefully no smoke!

Please be extra careful around the high voltage in the electrical cabinet. The xfer is a variable tap buck-boost xfer. It supplies the DC voltage rectifier inside the spindle drive with ac power at a given voltage depending on the avg of your incoming line power. The voltage that is supplied to the rectifier will change the rectifier's DC voltage output. The DC output is used by the spindle drive to run the spindle motor as well as supply an external buss that powers the servo axis amplifers. The variable tap should be selected by and average of you incoming line voltage which in your case is 247 VAC, so the correct tap is the left most one with a range of 260-244. To check that the DC rectifier is receiving the correct ac input voltage check the external DC voltage buss output at the servo amplifers. I'd like to see the DC buss 340 VDC to 300 VDC, outside of that range the machine may run but it might cause issues. Also pay attention to the phase pass/fail lights on the power distribution board above the vector spindle drive. I hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.