584,814 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Depth error

Hybrid View

Depth error

Hi. Does anyone why when i set my router to a 2.5 mm depth it's actually going deeper,like 5, or sometimes is not even touching the wood?(my router is 3040, 800W) Thank you!

Re: Depth error

It's probably losing steps in Z. Try lowering the acceleration on the Z axis, and keep trying a simple test program until it behaves better.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks for answer. Still the same.
    Do you think it might be from the software? I use photo v carve and mach 3. Thanks

In this video you can see how is doing.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXu...sp=sharing</a>

If the Z axis is not losing steps, it could be a bed leveling issue. Try clamping down a sheet of MDF or cheap plywood and run a flat router bit across the entire surface. Then see if an object still cuts unevenly when it is clamped to the new surface.

Steve

The video looks like normal operation of Photo Vcarve. It carves deeper in the dark spots of the image.

Maybe try adjusting the start and stop depth so the lightest portion is just below the surface and the darkest portion is the target depth.

It may be possible that your Z axis is set with an incorrect number of steps per inch. My router uses a different lead screw pitch for Z. It is easy to adjust the value in Mach. Make sure that 0.1" in height really raises the head 0.1".

Once you get it dialed in, you might want to try carving some smoother gained wood. The video looks like it is doing more chipping than carving.

I actualy just realised that it might be because i lowered the z axis (motor). And i think i've modified the configurations or the origins. but i don't know how to set it back. So i tried to uninstal and reinstal mach 3 and start from the begining but is doing the same.(i have to mention that before i moved the motor i succeded to make a picture) waiting for suggestions. Thank you.