585,578 active members*
4,079 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Printer or CNC Wood Router?

I am looking into making a new machine but I need a little guidance as to what type of machine to make. I purchased this machine a couple weeks ago and would like to make a 3D printer and add a Z axis. My concern is that the machine is going to be too heavy as a 3d printer.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   IMG_4708.jpg   FullSizeRender.jpg   IMG_4709.jpg  

IMG_4714.jpg   IMG_4715.jpg   IMG_4717.jpg   5.jpg  

Re: 3D Printer or CNC Wood Router?

It seems more suitable for a 3D printer than a router. It looks like it's running on long belts, which are better for printing than carving. You could probably do either one, but I'd lean towards the printer if it went fast enough.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Sorry I am kind of ignorant when it comes to 3D printers and I will be doing a lot more research. Are there any factors that I may be over looking or that I should look into when it comes to making a 3D printer this size? The X has 2.5' of travel, Y has 2.5' travel and I would like the Z to have 1' of travel. How fast should a 3D printer move?

Thanks

The bigger it is, the longer it will take to make, so if you're using the whole volume of that machine you're looking at prints that might stretch into weeks to complete. Being able to move faster is better, but since the actual deposition can only run at a certain speed (depending on the filament being used and the size of the extrusion nozzle) that mainly comes into play for rapids. Here's some info on printing speeds: https://all3dp.com/3d-printing-speed/
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Looks like an unfinished or incomplete laser cutter, PCB mill or CNC. Seems very well made and I would thing those belts are capable of driving a motor bike, let alone a CNC. I think it is overkill to degrade it into a 3D printer, which would also require some serious modifications anyway, because the Z is not enough for a 3D printer and the bed seems far too large for a hobby printer. Make it into a CNC mill or a laser cutter/engraver. If you want a 3D printer then buy or build one which is meant to be used as a 3D printer from the beginning.

Actually, I looked once again and in one pic there is a label saying "Ink jet" so I guess it is a printer of some sort. Perhaps large labels or directly on boxes or something else. Still, I think it would be perfect as a laser cutter/engraver.