584,871 active members*
5,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Plasma torch THC unstable

Hi !
    Maybe someone can help me. I have problems with my plasma cutter . During cutting, the torch head is jumping up and down, until it crashes in to the material or it goes extremely high. Some times it cuts like a hand saw ( up and down in a range of about 3-10 mm ) but didnt crashes..
    I am using a Kjelberg fine focus PA-S45W plasma cutter, combined with HiCON Integra-Pro & Mach4-Hobby & Proma Elektronica Compact THC 150. The problem started few weeks ago, till then everything was fine. We changed the Compact THC 150 with a new one, but its not the problem..

Pleas help!
    Best regards
    Valdis

Re: Plasma torch THC unstable

have you added any thing new wire exct it could be interference in the arch pro manual there is a test to make the proma simulate the torch voltage wile not using the torch try that to make sure things work
    some times interference does that. have you grounded the table with a ground rod are you using raw voltage if torch consumables go bad they cause eradic torch voltage that would cause the proma voltage to go up and down

HI!
    Yes we have already tested , the voltage was fine .The table is grounded, we have every wear protected wires ( I don t know how they are in English called) .
    We have already wasted too much time on solving this problem, and so we have decided to buy a new Height control M 4000 BAS And we are thinking of bringing the the whole torch to Germany for maintenance or we buy a new torches head.
    Thank you for the respond but it looks like that this problem cant be solved so easely.
    Wish you a nice day.

I under stand your frustration on the vital system site in the arch pro book you can down load there is a setup mode you can do to go through to make sure things work with out using the torch to simulate THC with no torch.

if that works your problem is not in the THC there are other things that cause what your having problems with.
    first off are you using raw voltage? if not its 50 to 1 then that's what proma needs

there could be a voltage problem caused buy the torch. swirl cups electrodes dirt up in the torch water in the air not enough air flow
    things like this cause voltage changes in the torch. your proma sences that and tries to compensate you could measure the voltage going in to the proma 150. if its all over the place you have a torch problem . readings depend on torch

in trouble shooting you have to take 1 thing at a time before you throw out the thc you should prove its bad first you could buy one it might do the same thing

Thank for the info , maybe you are right. The problem started after changing of cathode and electrode. We are using Raw voltage on the proma.
    I think that we will buy a new torch and then will send the old one to Restoration. Our company more or less depends on plasma cutting. And I thin that the problem is in the torches head, where the electrode i added.
    maybe thats why we could not find the problem in the THC...
    Thanks for the tip.
    Best regards
    Valdis

not sure what torch you can buy in your country hear in the usa hypertherm is the best torch to get it also is setup for machine control
    with voltage devider out put the proma runs fine with a 50 to 1 just be sure to add the control cable
    I have a hypertherm pm 85 on a proma 150

hope this helps thanks jeff c

Not here, from Germany - Kjelberg (PB-S44 W-1/L 15m/130A/C) . Its quiet expensive We ordered on for 2450e will see what for a discount they can offer, they promised 25 % .And we ordered Height control M4000 BAS 220mm with Contact Sensor KIT f. M4000 BAS. I think that after these repairs my boss had enough.
    ​And wanted everything new, not self made but all from Kjellberg . Its easier for me too, If everything is from them, I can ask for help directly from their support center. And I think that the two torches will be better than one, while if something happens to one , I can mount on the other while repairing the first .
    Yes I have heard that the hypertherms ar quiet good too ,maybe even better than kjelberg ,and cheaper.
    And I think that you are 100% about the broblem with the torch, while about 2 months ago , I damaged it pretty hard. After one cut the torch didnt lifted up and crashed into the cut while went to the other. I managed to repair it, but with the time, maybe something broke or there is some short circuit in the torches head.

Best regards
    Valdis

Hi, my problem is that on start, torch go to pierce position and then go to cutting high and after that for about half second go below of zero (into material) and after that going to correct high.

I am using THC-150, floating head and MP1000-THC.

Any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by scriptum View Post
    Hi, my problem is that on start, torch go to pierce position and then go to cutting high and after that for about half second go below of zero (into material) and after that going to correct high.

I am using THC-150, floating head and MP1000-THC.

Any suggestion?
    check the voltage from the plasma cutter sounds like it is going up and down dirty tips and other things cause this

Thank you for suggestion but I think if problem is in dirty voltage it will happened all time not only in first half of second. What you think?

Hi !
    Our problem started just like yours. We changed the stepper motor for the Z axis. I cant remember if it solved the problem for a while or not, but after that everything was crashing. We changed the THC150, but that was not the problem. after a while crashed the Y axis stepper, but the new y stepper motor could not synchronize with x axes So we had to buy both new Afterwards crashed few things else in our system.. To solve the problem , we ordered a new THC. And now we are waiting for more than a month for it to arrive.
    We added 2 button switch to the THC 150 So we could manual control the height. We changed the waiting time of the THC150 to 3-4 sec . Its not in the air pressure or voltage. Maybe its in the torch. But our new torch has still not arrived. If the new torch arrives, I will install it firs to see if the problem was in the torch or THC.
    If you manage to repair your THC please write to me how you managed it, we gave up hope ..

I found that the problem is in input voltage in THC. Now I connect raw voltage from plasma and it seems better.
    My nozzle is now destroyed so I need to buy the new to see the result.