584,862 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

my cnc wooden table.

The cnc table starts with almost ¾” Russian plywood. It is like Baltic birch but tends to have more layers and less open spots. But it costs a bit less. This is for a 4x8 shopbot.
    The rails are 3 layers of the ply to make about 2 ¼” thick and 10’ long and 8” high.
    I used a lot of screws (I love good self drilling screws) and construction adhesive (it takes several days to cure it seems) so far I think I have used 4 or 5# of screws.
    Check out the small saw I get to use to cut the sheets. It can only handle 10’ long sheets so it is a bit small.
    The last pics are of the legs and some of the rails attached. I wanted to get all I could get done today so the glue will cure before I pained and flip it. I used e6000 a silicone adhesive because it sticks to anything and works well on endgrain. I can’t even move these legs they are rock solid and I have not put the last rails or the triangles or the sheets on top and bottom yet. Had the problems with mounting the rails I should have put the angle iron on the inside.

that looks really good. I don't think I have seen a table that large built from wood, but it looks good and solid. how hard was it to get everything level and squared up? looks like the gantry is from shopbot. is the control box from them also or did you build it? what drives do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by aspenelm View Post
    that looks really good. I don't think I have seen a table that large built from wood, but it looks good and solid. how hard was it to get everything level and squared up? looks like the gantry is from shopbot. is the control box from them also or did you build it? what drives do you have?
    it was not too bad squaring up. not sure how level the bed is yet till I turn it on but the rails are accurate. it is pretty solid and heavy. the whole thing is a shopbot prt alpha the 4x96" size. I know I did not have the skill or the time to build it all.

whats the pitch for the rack and pinion? also y driven by two motors or one
    or one motor with 2 gear drives for both sides

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    whats the pitch for the rack and pinion? also y driven by two motors or one
    or one motor with 2 gear drives for both sides
    the y is two motors locked together. no clue on the pitch though sorry about that.