584,829 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Simulator Issues with March 7 5.0 Update

Simulator Issues with March 7 5.0 Update

Anyone have any success simulating with this latest version? Mine will draw paths, but that is about it. Any attempt to draw the part results in a jumbled mess. After numerous attempts to get it to work, I downgraded to the Oct 31, 2017 version, which I was running before, and the simulator won't run on that version at all now. The system just hangs and eventually becomes non-responsive. I tried earlier versions with the same result. I tried uninstalling MadCAM then reinstalling. Still crashes. So I uninstalled Rhino and installed everything again. I still can't get the simulator to run with the MadCAM version it was sort of working with prior to the update. I had some simulation before, now I have none. Ughhh!!

Ken

Re: Simulator Issues with March 7 5.0 Update

KennethC,
    I also received a message when starting Rhino/madCAM 5 to install a newer version, but I did not as this is Version 6 of madCAM.
    The new madCAM plugin has an issue in its maCAM6.rhp code it still had version 5 so that is why Rhino/madCAM 6 is asking for a reinstall to a newer version.
    I suggest no one install this update in Rhino/madCAM5.
    I have the opposite issue when I install it in Rhino6/madCAM6.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

KennethC,
    I installed V5 update on another PC not my main working one and it loaded OK and Runs Simulation OK.
    So I see no issue with it at this stage.
    You need to explain exactly what you could no do.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

I tried out briefly the March 2018 SR15 for madCAM5 and it does not work for me either. The stock block is still green with black blotches same as the old version. With one toolpath it does run much faster and does show the result but with blotchy poor graphics. Nothing like it used to be. With more than one toolpaths it crashes, displaying messages saying "Test/Too many points" and "Error/CutStockBox".

I am just simulating some old toolpaths with nothing special. My system is an i7 running updated Windows 10 Pro, 24G memory and an NVIDIA P2000 graphics card.

trung999,
    Yes there are some artifacts similar to before, some of which can be attributed to overlays of colors with stock/toolpaths/model.
    I have tried large files over 1GB in size and have not been able to get any error messages or any crashes.
    Yes I can make it go slow if I try to make these large files simulate to show fine detail (it can use all my 32GB RAM and also heavy disk usage).
    Changes to Voxel size as well as using medium or standard improves speed.
    With smaller files this is not an issue.
    CPU and Graphics speed is important if you want quality simulation as well as high amounts of RAM.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Mauri,

It's disconcerting that we are not all seeing the same thing although you did say there are still artifacts. The file I was working with was 138M but based on your comments I created a tiny 3M file with basically just a cube cut out by a sphere and a flat bar. I ran the simulation, no improvement that I could see. I checked the mesh settings etc... not sure what is wrong but at this point I ran an experiment that was interesting. My OS and data are on 2 different drives, and everything is backed up automatically at night. I had been testing SR15 on an image of my current C:. I was able to locate a backup SSD with an operating system from back in February 2017, before the Windows update that broke madCAM. I disconnected ethernet so Windows cannot update and then ran Rhino/madCAM. Wow, fast and nice. Ran some old designs also, everything works beautifully! I had forgotten how nice the simulation was.

So basically the simulation is still good with the exact same hardware but with software from a year ago. For what I am doing I remember things were fine also with far less capable hardware.

Trung999,
    I have been doing more testing with 5 and 6 and have found a number of issues with both on simulation.
    Depending on the cutter (tiny TBN like .05mm radius) and settings I do get black line parallel groves displaying on the simulation that have nothing to do with the cut.
    I cannot get the stock I select to display in simulation, I end up with long rectangles or flat squares when I select a cylinder as stock.
    Entering suitable setting does produce a cut with very little black blotches.
    I have provide a lot of examples to Joakim and hope he will have the time to review them and find a solution.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Trung999,
    Using my large 4 axis simultaneous file.
    I have also been able to replicated the "Test/Too many points" on version 6 that I am testing and stopping these continual messages crashes Rhino6.
    I did not do it on an existing profile, however I duplicated the profile fully, then re-calculated the tool path followed by simulation.
    I also loaded that same file that I saved with the dupe profile and did the same simulation and it also failed the same way.
    I both case it was not due to memory or processor issues.

I compared the profiles and the recalculated one in V6 was much bigger (31179KB vs 23502KB) than the one made by V5, they overlay each other fairly well but you can see more small movements in the V6 profile. So it would have more points and has broken the limit set in V6 and so may have the same issue in V5 like you are getting.

Regards,
    Mauri.

Simulation is not working for me either.

I'm using the March 7th Service Release 15.

Simulator didn't work for me after the 3/2018 update. Files I've simulated with great success in the past are super slow. Jerky with no continuity. Lots of artifacts. I reverted back to an early 2017 update and everything is fine now.
    W7 Nvidia gtx1080

SW

Getting the same kind of results here. Not working. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI