585,712 active members*
4,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dyna 2400 100 tooth Gears

I crashed my Dyna 2400 today and broke the Z axis 100 tooth gear. Has anybody done a retro fit and have a couple spares they would give up? PM if you do.
    Thanks

Re: Dyna 2400 100 tooth Gears

I don't have a DM2400, but there are a gazillion retrofits out there if you poke around the web a bit. I think I even saw some turnkey kits, although I don't know why you'd spend that money. It looks like it would be a pretty easy machine to roll your own. The steppers are pretty low power, so drives should be easy.

I have looked at the retro's and have asked some of the people that have done them, about the motor mount. I'm wondering if they have made a plate to attach to the existing motor and electronics mount or if they have made a completely new one. I am almost at the point of no return on this project and wonder if the money should be spent on a newer manual mill and forget the Dyna. If I have to spend a few hundred more on mounts, couplers, and motors, and still have an undersized mill, I don't think its worth it. Even if I put 90 OZ 17's on it I would be tripling the power but the work envelope is still toy sized.

Sadly, I can't answer that one. Larger machines definitely have increase capabilities. But, they also require, well, more space! That is often a premium for hobbyists. I know that it is a constant "negotiation" between my wife and me, for instance.

I've got a 4000lbs CNC in my garage. I'm tempted to call it full size, but the reality is that it is a smaller CNC. But it is still definitely in the professional landscape. I haven't regretted it.

I have a brother that would love your DM2400 if you decide to dump it and aren't too far from me.