585,667 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DRO not tracking

Morning
    I've completed my hobby cnc build and while calibrating the nema 23 motors for steps/inch the "x" axis crashed at the end of it's travel. I reset mach 3 and continue the calibrations and noticed on the Mach3 screen that the DRO's for the "y" and "Z" axis were tracking and counting the inches as it traveled but the "X" axis was not counting. The x axis motor was still moving the carriage but Mach3's DRO was not showing it.
    I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of how it counts an accurate distance the carriage travels. Does the motors send a impluse signal back to Mach3 or is it all software in Mach3?

Just wondering if the motor was damaged when it crashed or if the mach3 software got corrupted
    Any Thoughts?

Thanks
    Jerry

Re: DRO not tracking

Problem solved
    I created a copy of an earlier Profile in Mach3 and deleted the corrupted Profile.
    That did the trick.
    Jerry

Re: DRO not tracking

If you have regular stepper motors without encoders, there is no feedback. Mach3 just counts the pulses it sends to the motors (then crosses its fingers and hopes that the motors don't lose any steps). So a situation like yours is definitely a problem with Mach3 itself.