584,854 active members*
4,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WiFi Connection Keeps Dropping

After upgrading to PP 2.0, I have noticed that my WiFi connection keeps dropping. It only stays connected for a few minutes, and then, I have to disconnect and connect again. It has decent signal strength, and I have numerous other devices using the same wireless hub (Airport Express) just fine. And from the garage just fine. The only diagnostics I have is when I try to open a browser I get this...socket_posix.cc(91)] CreatePlatformSocket() returned an error, errno=97: Address family not supported by protocol (97)It is the Tormach wireless adapter, and I didn't have this issue with PP 1.0. While the connection is up, everything works fine. PathPilot updates, dropbox, even YouTube. It also seems to stay up if I am actively using it. I don't recall it dropping in the middle of doing something.

Re: WiFi Connection Keeps Dropping

You're not the only one I've seen report this issue. I'd send an email to Tormach about it.

fwiw - I'm using a range extender (the controller connected via cat-5 to the range extender) and havent had a single network issue on 2.0.
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Can you characterize 'decent' signal strength, what's the actual numbers the network configuration dialog tell you?

When it disconnects, how do you diagnose that - does the internet LED on the Status tab go out? When you click on it and bring up the network configuration dialog, what does it say in the Status column?

When it disconnects, does it ever re-connect on its own?

I assume this is probably a WPA2 wifi that is pretty run of the mill - does it use a non-broadcasted SSID or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by old-cnc-geek View Post
    Can you characterize 'decent' signal strength, what's the actual numbers the network configuration dialog tell you?

When it disconnects, how do you diagnose that - does the internet LED on the Status tab go out? When you click on it and bring up the network configuration dialog, what does it say in the Status column?

When it disconnects, does it ever re-connect on its own?

I assume this is probably a WPA2 wifi that is pretty run of the mill - does it use a non-broadcasted SSID or anything?

Signal Strength = 50 to 60

When it disconnects, the internet LED goes out, and nothing internet related will work (Updates, Dropbox, Browser, etc). I noticed it first when things didn't work when I tried them, like the PP Update (couldn't make a connection), and then sometimes they would work, and then not again. Then I noticed the internet light showed me the same thing.

The status in the Network dialog is "Connected". So it doesn't disconnect in that matter, just from the internet, it seems.

I have noticed that it seems to connect again on its own, after awhile, but only for a minute or two, then disconnects again.

My SSID is standard and broadcast (shows up in the list).

I also tried different USB ports (for the Tormach wireless adapter) and no difference.

I have opened a ticket with Tormach.

I switched to a Panda 300 Mbs wireless adapter and it solved my issues. The original (Netis) adapter was getting 50 to 60% signal strength, and the new Panda adapter is getting 80 to 100% signal strength. So it was either that, or the Netis adapter was faulty, or the drivers for the Netis adapter were having an issue in LinuxMint (what comes with PP 2.0). The Panda adapter worked as soon as I plugged it in and set it up (ADMIN NETWORK). I didn't have to install any drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps.../dp/B00EQT0YK2

For $14, it wasn't worth troubleshooting the old adapter any further.

With all due respect, only an idiot has his CNC controller connected to the Internet! You are very lucky that the Internet did not crash the CNC machine (yet).

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    With all due respect, only an idiot has his CNC controller connected to the Internet! You are very lucky that the Internet did not crash the CNC machine (yet).

Cheers
    Roger
    Well, it's 2018, what can I do. Go back to 1970? They don't make floppy disks anymore.

I have cartons of floppy disks (and Zip disks) left over, but no drives. Evolution.

Try a GigaByte capacity USB key for file transfer. Works wonders, AND it provides a free backup of your programs as well.

Cheers
    Roger

I'm plugged into a range extender on mine also. No issues with PP 2.0. at all other than that annoying initial reconfiguration to get the share working again. After that it's been up all the time.

It's hard to imagine using the Tormach any other way once you've gotten used to posting directly from Fusion to the CAM folder on the controller with file sharing.

The best way is to run a cable to your nearest switch/router and the heck with WiFi. Setup some shares & forget using DropBox. Next go into your router and blacklist the controller using it’s MAC address. This will prevent it from having Internet access. If you have a decent router you could setup a rule to allow access only to Tormach's website for updates but nothing else. Otherwise just download updates via your desktop computer & stick it into a share accessible by your controller.

Also, while browsing through “pathpilotmanager.py” I noticed some concerning comments about DropBox:

dropbox stdout is SUPER noisy and fills our log with useless "tornado" library warnings.
    use separate stdout and stderr for it to avoid this.
    And because dropbox is a complete memory leaker that grows forever start the reaper which periodically kills dropbox and restarts it.
    Not something that instills confidence, besides, best to keep the controller off the Internet anyway...

The strength of the WiFi hotspot is insufficient - you may be near the WiFi network's edge. Overloaded WiFi network — this occurs in crowded areas such as the street, stadiums, and concerts. Other WiFi hotspots or devices nearby may cause wireless interference. Drivers for your WiFi adapter may be outdated, or the firmware on your wireless router may be obsolete. If you get a good WiFi connection, try to download music games like Mobile Legends. You can also read the MLBB Tier List here.