584,802 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > How can I adjust the minimum rpm for rigid tapping

How can I adjust the minimum rpm for rigid tapping

Just wanting to know if it's possible to adjust the minimum rpm you can rigid tap on as someone at work managed to mess on with the parameters and get the machine to run all the way down to 2 rpm.

However you can't run less than 110rpm when rigid tapping, what would be nice, if I could get it as low as 100 just for ease of programming feeds so not having to calculate it out every time or use g95/g94 to turn on the feed per rev, then turn it off again, as all programs are hand typed at the minute so its just more remember or write down in books as a reference.

Re: How can I adjust the minimum rpm for rigid tapping

hi,

maybe this whil help.
    rigid tapping 1/2
    para 5200 till 5382
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1234...ew?usp=sharing

rigid tapping 2/2
    11420 till 11480
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/148a...ew?usp=sharing

found it in book for oi-model D
    have other books to if it does not work for you

i don't know if i violate any rules by sharing dokuments , not intended

greeting bertus

Generally, the rigid tap function (M29) is set to what the factory thinks is the lowest the machine can safely go. Bert is correct, for 0iM-D and 0iM-F. However, I would caution against going below what this is set to. You didn't mention what model machine and which spindle it has. Many of the high speed spindle options have very little torque at low RPMs and tapping is a very torque demanding application. I saw someone set this to 50 RPM and had the machine stall mid-cut, forcing him to unclamp the tool from the holder manually and then retracting "Z" as the machine didn't have the tap retract function.

hi again

i'am ashamed to say that i only just found out that i can manipulate the retract speed on a fanuc after 25+ years.

on my newer siemens 828d that is very easy,but on fanuc it is someting like going to the southpole to get to Alaska.

greeting bertus

Fanuc considers these to be for the tool builder. So they bury it. They really don't expect end users to ever adjust parameters. That's why it's so cryptic.

Parameter 4024 is the minimum RPM for Rigid Tapping on DNM & Mynx machines with OiD onwards . Default is 75 but we have changed it to 20 and had no problems .

Hope this helps

On US Spec 0iM-F it is Par # 5211. Usually set to "100"

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    Generally, the rigid tap function (M29) is set to what the factory thinks is the lowest the machine can safely go. Bert is correct, for 0iM-D and 0iM-F. However, I would caution against going below what this is set to. You didn't mention what model machine and which spindle it has. Many of the high speed spindle options have very little torque at low RPMs and tapping is a very torque demanding application. I saw someone set this to 50 RPM and had the machine stall mid-cut, forcing him to unclamp the tool from the holder manually and then retracting "Z" as the machine didn't have the tap retract function.
    hi there sorry i was putting up a few posts at the same time so i missed out the machine spec at the time of posting on the post.

machine: 2013 doosan hp5100.
    panel: fanuc 31i model
    spindle: bt40 taper spindle max rpm 6000

I believe the lowest rpm i could get was 108rpm or 109rpm ?

Quote Originally Posted by gavintwopies View Post
    hi there sorry i was putting up a few posts at the same time so i missed out the machine spec at the time of posting on the post.

machine: 2013 doosan hp5100.
    panel: fanuc 31i model
    spindle: bt40 taper spindle max rpm 6000

I believe the lowest rpm i could get was 108rpm or 109rpm ?
    About 100 RPM. Any lower and she could stall. If you have a tough tapping application where even that is too fast - you need to thread mill which is far easier than most people realize.
    This also depends on the tap and material. You could probably go down to 50 RPM in aluminum or plastic you may not have enough low speed torque for tougher materials. If you look at the spindle chart, you'll see power falls off rapidly under about 150 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    About 100 RPM. Any lower and she could stall. If you have a tough tapping application where even that is too fast - you need to thread mill which is far easier than most people realize.
    This also depends on the tap and material. You could probably go down to 50 RPM in aluminum or plastic you may not have enough low speed torque for tougher materials. If you look at the spindle chart, you'll see power falls off rapidly under about 150 RPM.
    I've long since left that company now but still working on doosan machines currently a hm1250 so it's still good to know the answer to the question, and we are pretty much always thread milling stuff day in day out as majority of what we do is 1" upto 24" due being in the oil and gas sector again.