585,754 active members*
3,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 6m-B where is the write parameter or protection key parameter?
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc 6m-B where is the write parameter or protection key parameter?

Hi guys,

i have this old Fanuc 6M-B milling,

i manage to do communication via RS232 at 2400 baud 7 bit 1bit parity even
    also tried 4800 and 9800 bauds

i'm able to do a punch (from the machine to the pc, but it come in empty since there is no program in the machine) but unable to do a read.

the pc tells me the code has been uploaded tot the machine (i put the machine in EDIT) then "O" (the letter not the number) then "-9999" then read. but nothing happens
    the code has % at the top and the bottom and it was working before.

after many hours of research it seem to be pointing to a protection key parameters (there is no physical key on the operator board)

that is the only think i i can think of as to why it not writing a program.

i even try to write one myself (PROGRAM --> O1234 --> insert --> EOD --> insert ) nothing.

i think there must be some kind of parameter keys somewhere that i need to change from 1 to 0 or vice versa but i don't know where.

as of right now the program is empty.

and i don't think it come from the code NC as it really tiny like 20 lines.

Most machines have a physical PROGRAM PROTECT keyswitch. (but this one doesn't have a physical "and i've look believe me " one so the only think i can see is a parameter).

thanks in advance.

Re: Fanuc 6m-B where is the write parameter or protection key parameter?

What does DGN 105 #7 say? My manual says that's the status of program protect.

Also try to punch out the parameters, it will at least send something in order to test the serial settings.

Edit mode > parameter page > P-9999 punch

Quote Originally Posted by PNaedele View Post
    What does DGN 105 #7 say? My manual says that's the status of program protect.

Also try to punch out the parameters, it will at least send something in order to test the serial settings.

Edit mode > parameter page > P-9999 punch

thanks for the reply, I'm not at the shop today, but as soon as i can i'll give it a try.

great idea i'll try to punch the parameters to validate the communication.

should the DGN 105 say that the status program protect is enable once i validate, how would i disable it ?
    I believe there must be some kind of program protect or memory protect ON, since i'm not even able to create a program on the machine it self.
    I just can't seem to find how to disable it.

I haven't found anything concrete yet, but parameter 24 #4 (RDAL) #5 (DLME) have something to do with storing programs. Looks like if they are both '0' it shouldn't overwrite programs and you can use O-9999(read) to read in a program and save as program name in the header.

Checked through some schematics I have and it really does look like this signal was intended to be provided by a switch. I did read about forcing a signal by changing parameter 11 #7 (DGNE) and setting bits on the DGN pretty much in the same manner as with parameters, but obviously be careful doing this because you'd be bypassing whatever safety measures are in place and potentially activating whatever if you happen to type the wrong data.

I'd try to find a switch or check MTB supplied documentation first, but that's me.

O-9999 will take all out from Control to computer
    O9999 will upload everything
    If you can download to computer but not upload make sure you have nul modem RS232 cable as the pins are reversed

Attachment 389232Attachment 389234Attachment 389236

- - - Updated - - -

cable should be good, it was working before like 3 month ago. but i'll change it willing to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by k-linkz View Post
    Attachment 389232Attachment 389234Attachment 389236

- - - Updated - - -

cable should be good, it was working before like 3 month ago. but i'll change it willing to give that a try.
    Hi guys,

so little update. i was able to punch the parameter out of the machine to the pc.

but still unable to receive to the machine from the pc.

software stays in waiting for remote start to upload.

try edit mode 0-9999 read ... nothing try with p-9999 read nothing. check the wire in the back it seemsgood.

Quote Originally Posted by k-linkz View Post
    Hi guys,

so little update. i was able to punch the parameter out of the machine to the pc.

but still unable to receive to the machine from the pc.

software stays in waiting for remote start to upload.

try edit mode 0-9999 read ... nothing try with p-9999 read nothing. check the wire in the back it seemsgood.
    If you had a weird electrical event (lightning, power outage) since the last time it worked, it would be very possible that the line receiver chip on the card is toast.

On one of my 6MB machines that card is the Graphic Interface/Punch Fanuc P/N A16B-1200-0310

There are two 14 pin chips right next to each other in grid B-3 and B-4. Their part numbers are SN75188 and SN75189. The SN75189 is the line receiver. If this has happened before in this card's life, you might be lucky and find those are socketed. Prices on these are $1-5. With how inexpensive these are, if you feel confident in your soldering skills it might be worth the time checking out.

Looking at my board it looks like there are a couple other chips that are related to serial that have been socketed. I can't tell if they all came that way from Fanuc or not, but I'll list them and the locations.

C-4 74LS157
    C-5 74LS04
    E-1 D8251AC (description said this is a programmable communications chip, and programmable usually means you have to burn it before installation.)
    F-2 74LS155
    F-3 74LS155
    F-4 74LS155

Usually it is the 75189. Don't try to save the chip by de-soldering the chip; cut the leads off and de-solder the pins individually; then clean the holes using de-soldering braid and/or solder sucker.
    E-1 D8251AC (description said this is a programmable communications chip, and programmable usually means you have to burn it before installation.) This chip is programmed on power up.

god dammit i'm stupid... was at the shop today...didn't login cnczone for a week cause i have a lot on my plate so i didn't bring the laptop with me. try to troubleshoot again for about 3 hours... completely as expected useless...gone home
    grab a beer. connected to cnczone. see the reply from both of you guys (which by the way thank you so much for putting up with me ... lol) and then also have done some research and found like you guys advises the chips (receiver and sender) could be the problem.

ref: RS232 transfer from control to PC Fanuc 6M

now i just need to find where those chips are located. (should be on the: Graphic Interface/Punch Fanuc P/N A16B-1200-0310, I'll have a look at it when i get back at the shop)

will keep you posted with updates until i make it work or go to the mental asylum.

thanks guys, have good week-end.

Hi guys,

quick update, I've look in the manual but it doesn't seem to be the same card model. any one would know where those chips would be located ?
    in the manual the model is 0440 and mine is a 0430.

Attachment 392180

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180429_121935.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	392466

Hi guys, i don't have that chip in the "B" row but is it located at the same place ?

Attachment 392468

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 392470

numeral referral of the pcb top card (where 1 to 12) goesAttachment 392472

I think focus has been lost.
    If you cannot input with the keypad a simple program into memory via edit. your problem is the "hidden" memory protect key. Not your rs232 chips.

The Fanuc 6M-B doesn't have a parameter to protect the parameter input, like the later models. Instead, there's a toggle switch on one corner of the main PCB. It's labeled "PRM", or something like that. DO NOT TOUCH the other toggle switch, called "BMU". That's to put the bubble memory into "free mode", and you don't want to do that.

You will get an alarm when the switch is on. This is normal. Be sure to turn off the switch and press RESET when you're done with all your settings.

With the parameter enable switch turned on, you must be in MDI mode, and you must manually scroll up to put the cursor on the parameter you want to change, then press "P" and the digits: IE "P11001010" then press INPUT.

The B model has a small board plugged into the main board called "Puncher". It has one chip that's the "sender", which is either a 75188 or a 1488 equivalent. The "receiver" chip is a 75189 or 1489. There should only be one of each on the board. The Puncher board does not have any memory on it, so you can remove and replace it without worry, so long as the CNC is not under power.

Hi guys,

so here is the update:

-got a new puncher card
    -got a new cable between fanuc and computer

same issue able to send the parameter from fanuc to pc but not from pc to fanuc

still cannot create new program either from fanuc itself.

any suggestion ?

idon't believe fanuc 6m has a hidden memory.... and i don't think one needs to enable write parameter to the motherboard just to upload a simple program.

i've also many other application to upload the program to the fanuc all got the same result nothing written in the fanuc.

i don't think the puncher card is at fault.

so we've eliminated:cable -puncher card - application.

starting to wounder could it be the read button on the machine

Page 1 of 2 12