585,573 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Leadshine > Issues with Mach3 and M542T drivers

Issues with Mach3 and M542T drivers

Hello,

I am having issues getting my motors to run correctly with Mach3, but I get the feeling it's a stepper driver issue. I have an old Fireball V90 that I finally decided I would wire up. I grabbed a 3-axis kit from OMC stepper online that includes the M542T drivers that are apparently designed by Leadshine. Link here: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/cn...2t-23hs45.html

I have 5TPI double-start leadscrews on X and Y. With microstepping set to 400 step/rev, I wager that I should have 2000 steps per unit in Mach3. To my surprise, however, X and Y are moving at TOTALLY different rates. This is in spite of the fact that both axes have the same settings.

Any thoughts on this issue? I am an electrical engineer with experience troubleshooting automation equipment, but this has been a humbling experience to say the least. I have attached a video and my dip switch settings for reference, along with that manual page.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_20180315_194715.mp4

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Issues with Mach3 and M542T drivers

Open up the drive and check switch continuity or bad solder joint.

Swap drives and see if the problem follows the drive.

Exact same stepper motor? If it isn’t, make sure both are same steps/degree. Most common are 1.8degree but there are .9degree also available.

Is the acceleration set the same on both axis? Looks like the gantry is set higher.

Re: Issues with Mach3 and M542T drivers

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post

Exact same stepper motor? If it isn’t, make sure both are same steps/degree. Most common are 1.8degree but there are .9degree also available.

Is the acceleration set the same on both axis? Looks like the gantry is set higher.
    Good idea on switching the drives. I will give this a shot. I should be able to touch up a solder joint if that's the issue.

These are the same steppers and the acceleration is the same.

Once you figure it out...

Always better to run higher microstepping then the half step you currently using. I use atleast 8microsteps. Gives less low speed motor vibration.

Try to run higher drive voltage. It will give better torque vs rpm performance. The drives are rated at 50v but it’s best not to run it too close to max. 36-42volts would be good.

You were right on the money. It was a bad driver. Swapping in a replacement fixed the issue I was having. Now to get everything dialed in...

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post

Like this, Nice idea