584,830 active members*
5,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How do you use Work Offsets

Gerry,
    I'm trying to use the 2010 Screenset G54-G59 Offsets, but I'm not having any success.
    What I want to do is make very tiny adjustments to my current Z position (without having to generate new G-code), so I can easily test how deep I have to make engraving cuts into some thin pickguard material. In the Offsets tab, I can put values in for X, Y, & Z for each of the G54-G59 selections. Then when I go back through the G54-G59 selections and click on them, the values I put in are still there (that's good!). Whatever values I entered into the XYZ G54-G59 fields would also change the coordinates DRO to the exact same values, which didn't seem right. However, one time I changed the Z offset value by .1mm and the Z DRO changed from xxx to xxx.1 (which is what I thought it should do). But this happened only once, and I have not been able to make it happen again.

The little circles to the left of the Gxx choices never light up......I assumed that they are indicators that light up so you know which offset is selected?

I also tried saving the offsets, but on the next screen there are only 3 buttons: Select, Save and Close. Do I select which Gxx I want to save, then press Select, then press Save, then Close? When I do that, nothing changes visually. Not sure if anything happened. Where are these values saved to?

So, I have a number of areas where things are not working the way I expected. I must be doing something wrong. Could you provide a few instructions as to how to use these offsets correctly?

Thanks, Dan

Re: How do you use Work Offsets

It doesn't sound like you are selecting a work offset to use. Type G54 to G59 into the MDI to activate a work offset.

While you can directly edit the offsets keep in mind that the offset is intended to transform from machine coordinates (often where the limit switches represent 0,0,0) to a reference point on the stock (probably a corner).

What you want to achieve would be more easily done with tool length offsets or maybe a G52 transform. I also would make a general recommendation that you generally don't need to edit the work offsets by typing numbers into the table. Typically you are setting work offsets with an edge-finder or probe, or you can even just type a new number directly into the axis readout to alter the active work offset.

https://www.cnccookbook.com/g54-g92-...ts-cnc-g-code/

The little circles to the left of the Gxx choices never light up......I assumed that they are indicators that light up so you know which offset is selected?
    There are Brains that need to be enabled for the screen to function properly. See the 2010 manual.

When you enter an offset the DRO will show the position minus the offset. So, if the DRO reads 10, and you enter an offset of 0.01, the DRO should show 9.99.

I also tried saving the offsets, but on the next screen there are only 3 buttons: Select, Save and Close. Do I select which Gxx I want to save, then press Select, then press Save, then Close? When I do that, nothing changes visually. Not sure if anything happened. Where are these values saved to?
    Just select Save, and all of the offsets are saved. I think they are saved in the Profile .xml

A simpler method of what you want may be to just change the DRO directly. Send the axis to Z10, and type 9.9 in the Z DRO. This basically changes the offset via the main DRO.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A simpler method of what you want may be to just change the DRO directly. Send the axis to Z10, and type 9.9 in the Z DRO. This basically changes the offset via the main DRO.

Works every time. Dead simple.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post

Works every time. Dead simple.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments & suggestions. I guess I'll just enter the new value into the DRO...that seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Thanks,
    Dan