584,812 active members*
5,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Help with V30 locking up

Help with V30 locking up

Not sure if this Pic will work, But basically, I am no modeling Xpert

I recently upgraded to BobCad V30. The first computer I loaded it on was not powerful enough to run the software

So I had a zippy new computer built by my guru here In Mojave

I have successfully done some work with this new version up until I started on this new model

I spent some extra nights drawing this up, In hopes of using it for some tool paths here and there
    If the Pic comes through, You can veiw the sample part against the model I have been working on

Honestly, This would be a good 5 axis part, but I am constrained to 4 axis, and maybe I can bolt on a haas
    indexer to do all these features and repeat them

Unfortunately, Once I got to the kinda parallelogram feature, The software keeps stopping and prompting me to close
    or send solution to someplace, Heck I dont know

I guess my main question is there a way to compress all the work I have done on the model?

Every model I get from a customer, They always open fine, and I can generate tool-paths from them
    many are much more complex than what I have so far. I tried to save as IGS or STP, No luck there

Is there something I am missing to make the model as one entity and get rid of 50 lines in the model tree
    that seems to be were the complexity maybe over taxing my brand new computer

Specs Win7 Pro with 8 gig ram solid state drive. Not sure on the graphics cad, But I told the guy to install a good one with all the memory he could stuff on it

I tried to call into tech support today, But must have been too late, Im on CA time
    I will do some browsing on the training disk for a solution, Maybe help topic withing the software

Edit 1)Looks like the pic came through, so as you can see, I still need to do a lot of work on this model, Fillets & trimming

Edit 2), If you look at my profile pic, I did that part with V23 W/Customer supplied model, So Im not entirely in the woods working with this software

Why does this keep locking up?
    Thanks
    Wayne

Attachment 389180
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Waynno View Post
    Not sure if this Pic will work, But basically, I am no modeling Xpert

I recently upgraded to BobCad V30. The first computer I loaded it on was not powerful enough to run the software

So I had a zippy new computer built by my guru here In Mojave

I have successfully done some work with this new version up until I started on this new model

I spent some extra nights drawing this up, In hopes of using it for some tool paths here and there
    If the Pic comes through, You can veiw the sample part against the model I have been working on

Honestly, This would be a good 5 axis part, but I am constrained to 4 axis, and maybe I can bolt on a haas
    indexer to do all these features and repeat them

Unfortunately, Once I got to the kinda parallelogram feature, The software keeps stopping and prompting me to close
    or send solution to someplace, Heck I dont know

I guess my main question is there a way to compress all the work I have done on the model?

Every model I get from a customer, They always open fine, and I can generate tool-paths from them
    many are much more complex than what I have so far. I tried to save as IGS or STP, No luck there

Is there something I am missing to make the model as one entity and get rid of 50 lines in the model tree
    that seems to be were the complexity maybe over taxing my brand new computer

Specs Win7 Pro with 8 gig ram solid state drive. Not sure on the graphics cad, But I told the guy to install a good one with all the memory he could stuff on it

I tried to call into tech support today, But must have been too late, Im on CA time
    I will do some browsing on the training disk for a solution, Maybe help topic withing the software

Edit 1)Looks like the pic came through, so as you can see, I still need to do a lot of work on this model, Fillets & trimming

Edit 2), If you look at my profile pic, I did that part with V23 W/Customer supplied model, So Im not entirely in the woods working with this software

Why does this keep locking up?
    Thanks
    Wayne

Attachment 389180
    Doing a merge should clean the cad tree

Re: Help with V30 locking up

Ok, will try that, I been saving every time I do something

Thanks again!

W
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop

Is it a solid bullion Intersect?

I cannot seem to find a "Merge" on any of the pull downs or training disk

Waynno

The "Merge" is under the File tab where you would open a file etc.

If you want a smaller file and you are happy with what work you have done and don`t want to save out the file with the huge CAD tree included then try doing a copy and paste, I do it often with large files to make them easier to save and work on.

First select the model on screen, then go to "Edit" tab (Top Left on screen) >Left click>select Copy. Now go to the "File Tab" and select the "New" option and a new BobCAD file will open as BobCAD1, go back to the "Edit" tab and select "Paste" and your model sould be pasted into the new BobCAD1 but without the CAD Tree, now you can save that file out under a new name in whatever format you like (BC,STP,IGES etc) and it should now be a considerably smaller file and a lot earier to work with

Fot what it`s worth I have a higher spec PC and V30 is very, very, very slow on it, BobCAD is a much bigger program now since V29 and does require a much, much more powerful computer to run it, I tried it on another PC with a much faster i7 processor (Quad core 4Mhz per core), 16Gb RAM, latest superfast SSD and most importantly an nVidia Quadro K4200 Video card with 2 Gb Memory on board and it was OK, not as fast as V28 is on my current PC but it was usable, just
    I have found graphics card does need to be very powerful, something with at least 4Gb on board memory from what I have seen would be best, the cost of the hardware needed to run BobCAD now is quite high which is why I have stuck with V28, it does all the 3D toolpathing that I need for the mold work that I do so it`s fine for me.
    Anything that BobCAD struggles with like complex filleting/modelling and particularly for drawings I just save out an .STP or .IGES file and upload it to my Fusion 360 and sort it all there, it is very good, only downside is that it is on the "cloud" so needs a decent Internet connection, other than that it is great and it is constantly being updated

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    and it is constantly being updated
    Rob,
    That sounds like it might occasionally be quite exciting! ;-)

Thanks for the input, Its greatly appreciated

So far I have gotten around the problem be using bullion function and combining all the features into one ball of a model

I will most likely have this complete either later today, or tomorrow, I will post a pic of it if I complete it

Its pretty close to getting it on a machine and start generating some tool path, Im sure my customer will be happy
    with this getting done, I dont have much else going on in the shop, This year has not been a good one so far
    So I have to entertain taking this odd thing in and make them

Again
    Thanks

I've been racking my brain and realised your Auto-Correct is changing Boolean to Bullion! ;-)

Cool Re: Help with V30 locking up

Sorry bout that

If I had bullion as in Gold, I sure would not be racking my head with this stuff either

boo was the word we came up with Stevens Tech for boolean algebra : ) ,,,,,,

ahh memories

keysoftwareservice.com