585,760 active members*
3,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > FADAL 4525 questions.

FADAL 4525 questions.

Hello guys!

Like all these threads starts- i have bought used fadal 4525. So far found that x and z thrust bearings are worn out so replacing them. I have measured ballscrews and looks like they have 0.00025 free play. I havent found any info when its recomended to change that. Can i still use these?

Re: FADAL 4525 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by lencasnp View Post
    Hello guys!

Like all these threads starts- i have bought used fadal 4525. So far found that x and z thrust bearings are worn out so replacing them. I have measured ballscrews and looks like they have 0.00025 free play. I havent found any info when its recomended to change that. Can i still use these?
    Personally I’d say that’s small enough that it can be taken care of with backlash compensation but if you demand tighter tolerances then you may have replace. 2.5 tenths is quite small.

At what freeplay you would recomend to change ballscrews? Also any idea how to check soindle bearings without power on? It will take few weeks to get cables done so would like to change as much worn out stuff as possible..

Quote Originally Posted by lencasnp View Post
    At what freeplay you would recomend to change ballscrews? Also any idea how to check soindle bearings without power on? It will take few weeks to get cables done so would like to change as much worn out stuff as possible..
    Well once again that depends on you but at about .0006” I’d look into having mine reballed if the screw looked good. ( I’m cheap) if that didn’t work I’d probably just replace the screws. As far as the spindle im not quite sure but what I’ve done on lathes in the past is take my best test indicator. Say .0001” or .002mm and measure the runout in a couple places on the spindle then see if you see any movement if you try to wiggle the spindle. Make sure your indicator stand is mounted to the head so you don’t encounter any movement of the head vs the table. Another thing you may try is measuring the face of the spindle then hitting the tool in out button to trigger the drawbar.

Also i see some coments that 4525 tool changer is problematic. What problems does it usualy have ? What maintanance you would recomend ? Maybe someone has similar machine ?