584,842 active members*
4,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OpenGL and Direct3D

Im going to buy a notebook. Which card system is best for CAD/CAM applications? An OpenGL supported video card or a Direct3D supported video card?

Opengl.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OpenGl is the one in my cadcam BCC I still miss 3DFX cards as the opengl was a flyer (for games but no idea if they were good for cad..) I find it flies on my NVIDIA (capitals mad company ) card.
    Keith

I have been running my CAD/CAM software in a Direct3D video card without any problem. That means that I have been missing some features that a OpenGL card may offer? What is the mean difference between a OpenGL card and a Direct3D card?

actually, nVidia card can do both. DirectView and OpenGl
    is actually up to the Application to choose. (or you can choose which rendering format to use in the options OpenGl or Direct X)

but to get the benefits of Direct X9 you need to have nVidia card in the 6000 series and above.
    you also need to make sure you are running DX9c on your computer.

at the RUN window type DXDIAG to run a full check on DX and verify version.

you can dload DX9 from microsoft if it was replaced by one of your other progs during installation.

nVidia GPUs and DX9 together are now better than OpenGL so if your CAD prog can choose which rendering mode to choose, choose the Direct X version
    (as long as you have nVidia 6200 or better. [bare minimum] )

Saludos desde Hollywood.

Cool

dude you are seriously digging for gold.
    Last post 04-09-2007
    Your post (1/27/08)

Not to keep an old thread going but the best thing to do is buy an nvidia card that has a quadro version avalible, then do its version of the quadro hack to get the improvements it has to offer.

Not that it makes much of a differance, especially if you're not dealing with massive wireframe models.

to: Toysrme

Well now is Aug of 2010 how about that??

but I wasn't asking YOUR input on time responses.
    I was providing TECH info regarding Open GL Vs DirectX
    and other Tech details that are Still RELEVANT TODAY.

on the other hand YOUR tech info is worthless anyway:
    the Quadro processor is good and fast *BUT* for its proper design and applications.
    the Quadro was designed for *NOT 3D* but 2D application like Spreadsheet apps. and 2D Graphics and Number-crunching (math) apps that render its results graphically (2D)

so please keep your negative comments and your BAD tech info to yourself.

and do something productive w your time.
    I log on here only occassionally bc I AM busy w my time on productive chores. Try it.

and DON'T call me dude. if you want to address me; It is "Sir" to you.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    dude you are seriously digging for gold.
    Last post 04-09-2007
    Your post (1/27/08)

Not to keep an old thread going but the best thing to do is buy an nvidia card that has a quadro version avalible, then do its version of the quadro hack to get the improvements it has to offer.

Not that it makes much of a differance, especially if you're not dealing with massive wireframe models.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    OpenGl is the one in my cadcam BCC I still miss 3DFX cards as the opengl was a flyer (for games but no idea if they were good for cad..) I find it flies on my NVIDIA (capitals mad company ) card.
    **** i still got the voodoo 1 and the 2dcard it went with that i bought for the first pc i built. they were rippers werent they.

direct 3d seems the way to go now though im afraid..
    (for certain apps any way)

palafox,...
    it will depend upon the software youre running? what cad/cam you running? most cards support both opengl and direct 3d. the workstation cards by both ati and nvidia have drivers that are written specifially for the 3d/2d software they support... and tend to be slghtly overpriced because of it.

for example autodesk and nvida release Autodesk® Performance drivers frp the quadro cards

this is ati's latest offering

http://www.amd.com/us/products/works...-overview.aspx

ok. just noticed the original psot date. and the last message lol. talk about drawn out