585,759 active members*
4,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G-REX > Anybody get inputs working with GRex and Mach3 ?

Anybody get inputs working with GRex and Mach3 ?

Hi all, I'm trying to finalize my electronic setup but I'm having lots of grief trying to get Mach to see any input from the G100.

The Mach support group has been less than supportive, so does anyone here have any ideas ?

I can get the motors to spin, but Mach will not report any inputs (limits, homes, etc) even though the G100 monitor plainly shows that the device is detecting my inputs.

What am I missing here ?

A small breakthrough

Ok then.
    Since I have to figure out this stuff for myself, I'll try and help the next poor soul that comes around looking for answers.

I finally got Mach to recognize the inputs.
    The port number needs to be port #1 (for the inputs at least). That works for Mach input pins 9-16 (GRex inputs 1-8).
    Ill wire up the other GRex inputs (9-16) and see where they match up.

No joy on the GRex limits. I'll have to test and see if they are hardware limits handled by the GRex itself.
    Mach doesn't seem to recognize them, at least not yet.

Hi, I appreciate your info. Im considering the grex. What are you using for servos and encoders? Im working on my mill hardware still and havent gotten to the electronics yet. thanks, Dave

More success!

Hi Dave,

I'm not using servos, steppers with ballscrews is my current configuration.

I might as well post my latest successes configuring my GRex.

Motor configuration is simple, ensure that the Port # is zero and that the motor output is enabled. That's it.

Configuring inputs and outputs is straightforward also (once it's figured out).

Inputs: Ensure that the Port # is 1, then the inputs are mapped as follows:
    GRex inputs 1-8 map to Mach3 input pins 9-16
    GRex Limit inputs x,y,x,a,b,c map to Mach3 input pins 17-22
    I havent wired up the remaining GRex input pins (9-16) so I can't confirm it, but they will probably map to either pins 1-8 or 23-30 in Mach3.

Outputs: Ensure that Port is # is 1 (again), then the outputs are mapped as follows:
    GRex outputs 1-16 map to Mach3 output pins 1-16

Marc.

I've not played w/ it too much, but I do have a mill moving under power from my Grex.. I have my motor port/pins set to port 3, pin 2... it works.. I'm not sure if it really matters when it comes to the Grex.. the port pin side of things anyway.... it know's which pins are the axis pins etc..

I'm going to work on my limits next as well so we'll see..

One thing to remember about the Grex and its support [you'd mentioned the frustration w/ the support]. Currently.. the Grex is in a betta testing stage for use w/ Mach3.. it's not for general release "officially" yet.. so if you feel you can handle messing around with it.. great.. however if your looking for a plug and play solution.. its not "there" yet... when its officially released w/ full firmware and support to a "lock-down" version of Mach3, you can rest assured that it will get alot more support. Not only that.. but alot more people will be buying and using it.. and you will get alot more help that way as well.

Not to discourage you from buying or using one.. they are great.. just realize that we're the "test tube" for these things right now.. in the next couple months things will really come into focus and the G100 will REALLY take off..
    I'm glad I bought mine.. even if it sat on the shelf for 8 months.. it's all worth it in the end

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Jerry,

You're right, the motor port doesn't matter. I tried that last night. As long as the motor output is enabled, the motor will be enabled.

Inputs and outputs however are more picky. They require port #1.

Hi guys - I got my Grex's limit switches working with Mach3 last night - does anyone know what happens when the limits are triggered. It seems to stop OK, but does it use the maximum deceleration rate as per the motor tuning, or does the Grex do a reall full-reverse-power emmergency stop? I'm trying to work out how much room I need to allow between my limit switches and the things I don't want the axis to collide with at 400-800IPM.

Cheers.

G100, Mach3 and Limit Switching Wiring

In Mach3 software, in “Ports and Pins”-->”Input Signals”, I have made configurations as described in the "manual of G100 for Mach3"

X++ 17
    X- - 15
    X Home 17

Y++ 17
    Y- - 15
    Y Home 17

Z++ 17
    Z- - 15
    Z Home 17

So if i have NC switches, shall I connect wire to “LIM” terminal then to NC switch and then to the GND available for each axis block on G100 terminals. I have also defined pin 15 in Mach3 software as X- -, so will I wire the pin 15 to the GND terminal labeled on G100 under “Digital Inputs”.
    I want to use five limit switches on my machine axes, for X axis and Y axis on both sides as . X++, X- -, Y++, Y- - and for Z axis only at Z+ side, I don’t want to use Z- -.
    I am new to this setup, so i will highly appreciate if some will help.