584,829 active members*
4,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF2 way/spindle oil?

I recently purchased a 98 Haas VF2 that has been very neglected. I removed the way covers and found large amounts of chips and rust. I found that the x axis was not getting way oil due to clogged metering valves. The linear slide has rust and was extremely dirty. I am trying to clean the metering valves due to them being $15 a piece but I have read that it may impossible to clean them. I would like to keep this from happening again so I am going to purchase the correct oil for the mechanical oiler. The oiler says to use Vactra #2 but the Haas website says to use Mobil SHC 625. From what I can see the mechanical oiler oils the ways and the spindle which seemed odd to oil the spindle with way oil. The oil tank has a large amount of sludge. The Haas website says to use Mobil SHC 625 due to Vactra causing sludge in the tank which I have. I know I'm gonna get blasted for asking but can I use some ISO 46 hydraulic oil which is the same viscosity and I have tons of it. The Haas website says the alternative is 5w-20 engine oil. I would think ISO 46 hydraulic oil would be a better choice. Keep in mind this is an old ragged out machine with bad liner slides and 17,000 hours. Check out the pictures of what I am dealing with. Thanks. I don't have a picture of the x axis but I will post later, it will make you cringe.

Attachment 389342
    Attachment 389344
    Attachment 389346
    Attachment 389348

Re: Haas VF2 way/spindle oil?

Here is what the Haas website says.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	389350

This is the first I’ve heard of this I thought vactra2 didn’t have wax in it and was good to go because it wouldn’t congeal?

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    This is the first I’ve heard of this I thought vactra2 didn’t have wax in it and was good to go because it wouldn’t congeal?
    When I get back to the shop I will take a picture of the sludge. I don't want this to happen again and clog up the metering valves. They are kind of expensive, hard to replace, and not obvious when they clog up which could cause damage to much more expensive parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilley View Post
    When I get back to the shop I will take a picture of the sludge. I don't want this to happen again and clog up the metering valves. They are kind of expensive, hard to replace, and not obvious when they clog up which could cause damage to much more expensive parts.
    My fadal recommends vactra 2 because it won’t gum up. Strange I need to check and replace the metering valves.

What appears as sludge is probably old coolant oils.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I just bought a 1999 VF-2. I'm a little further along in my cleaning and have come across several problems too. Let me know if you need any pics or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfishy View Post
    I just bought a 1999 VF-2. I'm a little further along in my cleaning and have come across several problems too. Let me know if you need any pics or anything else.
    Year old post!
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Here is what the Haas website says.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	389350
    I have some of the same year machines and have no sludge and use Vactra #2, the recommended oil by Haas, there is more going on than the oil, someone was probably mixing the oil with non machine quality oil
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Year old post!
    Yes it is surprising how often these post come up, but some are worth reviving because there quite often is new content that can be added
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I have some of the same year machines and have no sludge and use Vactra #2, the recommended oil by Haas, there is more going on than the oil, someone was probably mixing the oil with non machine quality oil
    I agree, as I have two machines over 20 years old and no problems. I would stick with Vactra #2.

DOH!!! I saw 3/20 and got excited that I might be able to help for once. :-) Thanks for pointing that out!