585,705 active members*
3,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD files not readable in AutoCAD???

BobCAD files not readable in AutoCAD???

A company I am working with can cut some foam prototypes for me. He uses AutoCAD but he can not read my BobCAD files. I have tried .cad, .dxf, .dwg and .sat extensions. I am using BobCAD V21 with the patch update. He is using AutoCAD RB-14 (I think). I can find out the exact version number tomorrow if that is needed. I had my templates printed today by a blueprint printing company. They tried to open my files using AutoCAD 2004 and they could open them but the text on the templates was out of position and in some cases un-readable. I really need to solve this problem or I will have to do a sloppy job of trying to cut these foam pieces using a hot wire hand held unit.
    Tech Support told me that I should make sure that AutoCAD is in the TOP VIEW mode which I will confirm but I have a feeling that this is not the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Bill J.

OK, you need to verify the version of AutoCAD that the other company is using. It may be an incompatibility issue with the formats. If the other user is using R14, then it very possibly is compatibility, BobCAD uses the latest DWG and DXF data from OpenDWG.

As for the Text: This may be encountered some times. This is because AutoCAD has special characters that can be placed in Dimensions and Texts, BobCAD does not support these. It may be that the text is being output and resembles these characters.

You can try Vectorizing the text before you save the file. This will make the text hollow, but it should remain in the correct orientation.

Regards

I can read dxf into version 2000 but not dwg unl;ess I import using a plugin for newer version files. This tells me the file version is newer than my 2000 version. The files can open directly in 2005 LT though.

Thanks

It sounds like vectorizing the text will solve the orientation issue. That helps me with the first part for sure. I will check on the version but I think it is R-14and it sounds like there may not be a solution for this one. Just in case someone would like to open one of my files to check it, I'll try to attach it to this message.
    Thank You, You guys are a big help for a newbie like myself.
    Bill J.
    Attached Files Attached Files

if he has the full version of Autocad and not the LT version he may also be able to get the import plugin. It is made by Solidworks and is free.

Import Plug In

I will search solid works now for the import plug in.
    Thank You,
    Bill J.

TJones

TJones,

If you have AutoCad, would you try to open my file? I don't think I found the import program made by Solid Works. I did find some information on something dealing with importing points from text files but I doubt that is what you were refering to.

Thanks,
    Bill

What does it look like in BobCAD? I'd say that BobCAD is exporting the file incorrectly. Do you have a choice of .dxf versions to export? If so, try the oldest one possible.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Gerry

Hi Gerry,

It should look like a rectangle with an angled top. I just realized that my .dxf file conversions have not converted the text correctly even when reading with BobCAD. I converted the files very quickly today to have the templates printed and I should have checked them. My mistake. Sorry about causing confusion.I guess I should have vectorized the text before converting from the .cad extension. I think this defintely solves the text issue but my big problem is having the .dxf files open in AutoCAD. Were you sucessful? If so, the problem will probably be that the AutoCAD version that the company is using is simply out of date. I'm not sure there will be a fix for that. ???
    This was another thought mentioned by BobCAD support today. I will find out the version of AutoCAD tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BJenkins View Post
    TJones,

If you have AutoCad, would you try to open my file? I don't think I found the import program made by Solid Works. I did find some information on something dealing with importing points from text files but I doubt that is what you were refering to.

Thanks,
    Bill

Yes I would do it for you.

Here is the link for the Autocad importer (and it does work with AC 14)

http://www.dwggateway.com/

(you will see the SW logo but in case you would rather go there from their sight)

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/infofor/DWGseries2.html

Quote Originally Posted by BJenkins View Post
    Hi Gerry,

It should look like a rectangle with an angled top. I just realized that my .dxf file conversions have not converted the text correctly even when reading with BobCAD. I converted the files very quickly today to have the templates printed and I should have checked them. My mistake. Sorry about causing confusion.I guess I should have vectorized the text before converting from the .cad extension. I think this defintely solves the text issue but my big problem is having the .dxf files open in AutoCAD. Were you sucessful? If so, the problem will probably be that the AutoCAD version that the company is using is simply out of date. I'm not sure there will be a fix for that. ???
    This was another thought mentioned by BobCAD support today. I will find out the version of AutoCAD tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Text is not a bad thing...just needs to be consistant. Not everyone has the same fonts on their system and that old of an Auotcad may not be able to use all system fonts either. Change the font to a basic windows font in Bobcad before exporting (maybe Arial). This way Autocad can have something to go from.

AutoCAD 2007 opened it OK.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks , I will give this a try

Thanks,

I hope to get with the gentleman today and see if we can fix this. I'll let you know if this works.

Bill

Update on AutoCAD dxf files

Hello and thanks to all who helped. I did talk with the man with the CNC machine that uses AutoCAD R-14. We did not try to import files from my BobCAD yesterday because I learned his machine does not do 3D. If I find out anything else I will update the post here. I think the suggestions made will help with AutoCAD reading files in the future.
    Thanks Again,
    Bill J.

I believe The One mentioned that AutoCAD DWG's have to be EXPLODED in order for BCC to read them. This could be incorrect but it is worth a try none the less.

Cheers!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com