585,949 active members*
4,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie looking for advice

Hi all i have been looking through alot of the posts and I think i am going to actually build me a cnc machine. I have been eyeing the david steel design i think that is the one or the one on solsylva website. the mid range cnc machine. I believe it is the blue one on his website. I currently do alot of woodwork with my scrollsaw and I plan on continuing with my scroll saw but I was thinking having a cnc machine to cut some of my plaque blanks and other things that would be awsome. I also thought it would be cool to add some carving to my scroll sawn projects. I have read about building my own from on here.

my deal is i don't know where to start. I am really limited on funds since i am back in school so thins project might be a little at a time type project. I'm still learning about the different types of stepper motors and I really am out there when it comes to the electronics part of the machine.

any suggestions on where to start. How to make this machine on a limited budget and so on.

This is a great fourm and from what i see alot of ya'll help one another out when needed.

Any help for a flat out newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jesse

Hey Good luck Guy,
    I built a router with data-cut plans...worked out well..Chris was very helpful...but about your budget.....look out...your lookin at about 3000 plus...and yes cnc is some fun stuff

take care

I am working on the solsylva table (the 24x36 model). I priced everything out and set a budget before I started. My goal is to stay around $1600 to $1700 for a complete running machine. So far I am right on track dollar wise but the actual build is way behind schedule. Too many other projects going on. There are quite a few other Solsylva builds here as well. One tip... If you have, or have access to good woodworking/milling equipment like a jointer, planer, table saw, etc. use a better wood than pine 2x4's, I am doing my build from all sugar (rock) maple. White Ash, Hickory, White Oak could be some other good choices.

Trevor