584,837 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post The stepper question

Hello to all...:wave:
    I have some questions for my new project. There are two nema 23 stepper motors. Which one would work better with a 8825 driver based on these values? Or maybe, which one would use the full potential of torque, speed and temperature without damaging the driver boards?
    Thank you for your answers.
    Regards

The first...

Step Angle: 1.8 deg
    Voltage: 4.0v
    Current: 2.0A
    Resistance: 2.0Ω
    Inductance: 6.2mH
    Holding Torque: 1.1Nm
    Diameter: 6.35mm

The second...

Step Angle: 1.8 deg
    Voltage: 2.5V
    Current: 2.8A
    Resistance: 0.9Ω
    Inductance: 2.5mH
    Holding Torque: 1.22Nm

Re: The stepper question

this driver is best to be used below 2A and is rated max at 2.2A with heat sink and sufficient cooling.
    So although the second motor is ,much better, the 8825 is not a good choice for this motor.
    The first motor is about the max current to do with this cheap driver when supplied with a heat sink.

What Toinvd said. Either motor will "work" with the driver, neither is going to give you much power.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Thank you James and Toinvd. I hope that it would be sufficient for a 3d printer application aiming toward light engraving.

Just to throw 2 cents worth in here - I just completed building a rude and crude CNC router using 1.9 NM (269 oz-in) steppers with Stepperonline.com's low-end driver (4-axis TB6560). I am using 1/2 inch single lead ACME screws with Delrin anti-backlash nuts as the mechanical drive.
    These steppers do not have adequate torque to reliably overcome the frictional loads of the screws and inertial load of the small gantry & carriage above 15 inches / minute without losing steps.

Quote Originally Posted by hitechwaynew View Post
    Just to throw 2 cents worth in here - I just completed building a rude and crude CNC router using 1.9 NM (269 oz-in) steppers with Stepperonline.com's low-end driver (4-axis TB6560). I am using 1/2 inch single lead ACME screws with Delrin anti-backlash nuts as the mechanical drive.
    These steppers do not have adequate torque to reliably overcome the frictional loads of the screws and inertial load of the small gantry & carriage above 15 inches / minute without losing steps.
    The steppers aren't your problem.
    I'm using 250 oz steppers with a 15 year old Xylotex drive and 24V, with 1/2-8 2 start acme, and can reliably run my machine at 175ipm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The steppers aren't your problem.
    I'm using 250 oz steppers with a 15 year old Xylotex drive and 24V, with 1/2-8 2 start acme, and can reliably run my machine at 175ipm.
    Ok..... thats good to hear (maybe?)

I've config'd mach3 as per the drive mfgs recommendations, but cant get anything resembling stability above single step at 20 in / minute........(and it's not stable there - losing pulses - 0,0,0 isn't 0,0,0 after a number of moves.)