585,759 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Next Gen Control, Changing Parameters... No option for chaning

Next Gen Control, Changing Parameters... No option for chaning

I just installed an auger and need to change parameter 209:3 to 1 (Enable chip conveyor) but cant find that anywhere. Seems online I need to change setting 7 to allow parameter changes but setting 7 doesnt exist.

Is there something locking me out? I have the keys on the control side set to unlock and estop engaged. Ill obviously check with Haas but I want the machine running this weekend not next week sometime...

Re: Next Gen Control, Changing Parameters... No option for chaning

I do not have the new control yet so not sure if this is different

Settings page
    type 7
    arrow down
    That should find setting seven. If not, then that should be something that would be in the online manual on the Haas site (free download)
    Gary

The parameters are locked out. It's one of the worst parts of the terrible NGC control.
    That said, I'm surprised the auger hardware is disabled by that parameter since they no longer give us access to it. I would have hoped that it would be similar to the air blast solenoid where you can activate the relay responsible for powering the solenoid, but with no solenoid installed it simply doesn't do anything. I guess that's not the case with the auger...

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    The parameters are locked out. It's one of the worst parts of the terrible NGC control.
    That said, I'm surprised the auger hardware is disabled by that parameter since they no longer give us access to it. I would have hoped that it would be similar to the air blast solenoid where you can activate the relay responsible for powering the solenoid, but with no solenoid installed it simply doesn't do anything. I guess that's not the case with the auger...
    This is what I was suspecting. There is no option for setting 7, theres an 8 to lock programs but no 7 for parameters. Have a message out to Haas support for how to enable it but now kinda screwed on working this weekend with a cnc full of chips and now difficulties scooping out chips with a big twisted steel bar in the way

The service techs can't change parameters either. After a software update awhile back, I had our service tech reassign the table platter on our EC-1600 from A to B to allow DWO to work. I had a procedure from Haas on how to do this, so I showed him and he changed the rotary to "B" axis. Everything seemed to work, so he left. The next morning I try to rotate the platter 180* to take a fixture out and the rotary only will turn like 20ish degrees in each direction. I talk to applications at factory, they have me check a parameter for B axis travel limit, which was the problem. Service tech drives 5 hours (each way) back out to change the parameter, since the user has so access to it what so ever, and even with the service key in the machine he could not alter parameters. He could get to where to change it, but it would not accept any input. He said the only way he could change the parameter was to have the factory program a whole new parameter set for our machine with the one parameter updated, and they would have to email it to him and he would then reflash the machine with the new parameters from Haas. I had him put it back the way it was the day before he touched it and DWO still doesn't work, but at least the rotary does.

The story I got from our tech is that Haas has the users and the techs locked out of the parameters so they can STILL debug all the problems with it, but the software dept. wants to be the only ones screwing with it and not every service tech and user changing parameters and then saying its a software problem.

I am almost 2 and a half years into NGC, and although it is a lot better than when the machine was delivered, it STILL HAS PROBLEMS!

Quote Originally Posted by DruMor View Post
    ...but the software dept. wants to be the only ones screwing with it and not every service tech and user changing parameters and then saying its a software problem.
    I assumed that was Haas' hangup with it, but their reasoning is stupid and unbelievable. That's trying to solve a problem that never existed.

Don't get me wrong, there were *occasional* bugs with the older machines. But they were by and large fairly rare, and things were easy to fix or work around. The latest branch of code, M18, was pretty dang solid even going back a few years.

I've purchased 11 Haas machines in the past 10 years, including two NGC. We're looking to buy another lathe this year, but it'll be an NGC as well, and I really don't want that. Guess it's time to look elsewhere unless there's major changes in the future.

There wont be major changes..going backward. No major company ever does that, even if it cures problems.
    I am on the brink of multiple machine buying spree (God help me) and for the first time it wont be Haas. A little deceiving as I think the way I will go is Horizontals and they don't make them,
    But I was considering them for the lathes and every time I hear one of these story's I cringe.
    I know one thing it makes the low mile older machines worth more (to me) every day
    Gary

Yeah you're right. If enough people stopped buying machines then there could be some changes, but that won't happen on a large scale. Before we bought out latest mill, I looked around feverishly for a used one but there was nothing available that fit the application. I ended up getting a new one figuring it would resolve my bottleneck quicker, but apparently the factory is behind and there was a 3 month build time. We bought it in December and just got it up and running early this month.

I know Haas is redesigning the EC pallet changing horizontals, which will probably debut this year. But man jumping for one of those with an NGC would be risky...

Having similar issues , we have a vector drive accelerating oo quick and shutting the machine down , no access to any paramters in the next gen control - you cant even do a spindle encore orientation when you do a belt change ?