585,937 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software to work with older GSI Lumonics?

Hey all

I just acquired and got up and runing a GSI Lumonics Lightwriter laser system, ca. 1992. After messing with interlocks and replacing a bad G325 galvanometer, I now have this thing 'lasing' with the barebones software it came with, and lasing well.

Problem: Software only offers linear text output at either offsets from center or on an angle from center. I'm in a shop where we are marking bearings on the outer and inner ring and guess what--I need to be able to mark on a radius with a specified X and Y offset for the center.

So

Bearing in mind that I have an older system with a lot of proprietary crap AND the PC attached to it is an old 386 running DOS, does anyone have any 'slightly better than this' software solutions they could offer? Basically if it can run on a radius is the minimum requirement; If it can offset X or Y so I can use a standard V-block fixture for all bearings, it will be better; If it can automatically serialize it will be GREAT.

Looking forward to any input. Thanks so much.

This is a very old post - are you still operating with that machine? I just bought a pair of the "XL" model and thought we can share info. One of mine comes with "Prolase" software that handles vector graphics (e.g. from Illustrator) including circular text, and if the other works as more than a parts machine, I might try to connect to it with Linux CNC.

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com