585,754 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SHW UF-2 & ISA 40 anybody recognize?

Howdy folks! Quite the place you have here. I am qurious what you think about this beast as a retrofit project. I tripped over one just like it and the price was right. It is in nice shape. Also being new to milling machines I am wondering what a ISA 40 spindle is. I can't find anything about it. Is it a dead duck as far as tooling goes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SHW UF-2.jpg  

Are you sure that's not an ISO-40? I've never seen an SHW mill. However, they were well known for their multi-angle head on a large floor type milling machine. Big like Butler Elgamill or large Zayer machines.

By the looks of it, the knee traverse r/l (X) on the platen which goes up/down (Z or Y) while the ram above goes in/out (Z or Y). If those motions have separate motors I suppose it could be converted to CNC. Otherwise it may be a bit of challenge.

Note: on closer look, it looks like the knee and vertical head swivel also. This appears to be a heavy duty true universal mill. Personally I'd keep it as is. Quite a piece.
    DZASTR

It looks almost identical to the old Cincinnati point to point mills, which were hydraulic motor fed with encoder feedback, I retro fitted one of those using a PC/Galil card.
    But if these are not motorized axis in a similar way, probabally one of your biggest problems/costs would be in fitting suitable backlash free ballscrews etc.
    depending on what they have at present.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

IMHO, I would no more convert that machine than I would a Monarch 10EE. If you look real close you can see the knee swivels up/down on the platen. The table swivels on the knee in/out like a conventional universal horizontal mill. The vertical head on the overarm swivels like the head on Cinci & K&T universal mills. If this is like the early Maho and Deckel universals, the round plate covers the horizontal spindle which is also a short quill or boring spindle. The vertical head can be rotated 90 deg.,and rotated end for end to become an overarm support for arbor type milling cutters. This is a milling machine department in one machine.
    DZASTR

Check in the attached specs. Is this a typo? I'm not sure of anything. I have a cheap imported mill/drill I retrofitted years ago. I can run it manually as easily as running a program. It has done some wonderful things for me. This SHW would just be a nice step up. It has a shaper and horiz/vert mill. The table tilts in two directions and rotates. The head both swivels and rotate. My main concern is the tooling, I would hate to get started down a path that would end for lack of tooling. Is a 40 taper a 40 taper? In other words is there the possibillity of modifying an ISO 40 shank to fit in a ISA 40 spindle. Is this just a matter of the drawbar thread arrangement? On my mill/drill I have had to do some jury-rigging to get tools mounted with good success.

Al, the lead screws are acme with 2 power driven x's and one powered z. And I would have to agree, these will present a challenge. But nothing has come easy so far... My little import still has acmes and works okay but I have done some things where ballscrews would have been nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails specs2.jpg   specs1.jpg  

Is it possible that ISA and ISO are the same spec.? If so, you may also be able to use NMTBA 40'S as well by having replaceable draw bars with inch & metric threads. Maybe one of our European fellows can enlighten us.
    DZASTR