584,841 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco Hawk 5M Retrofit

Hurco Hawk 5M Retrofit

I recently purchased a Hurco Hawk 5M. I told myself if the electronics gave any issues I'd just replace them all. The DC power supply started emitting magical smoke when I went to turn the machine on. I know I can replace this with multiple power supplies rather inexpensively however I'd rather have a more moder control anyway. If anyone is interested in any of the parts let me know. Tenatively I plan to replace the drives, servos and everything except the physical cabinet itself. I was going to use it to house the new electronics. As a side not if anyone has any information on interfacing with the baldor servo drives I may attempt to reuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by biqut2 View Post
    I recently purchased a Hurco Hawk 5M. I told myself if the electronics gave any issues I'd just replace them all. The DC power supply started emitting magical smoke when I went to turn the machine on. I know I can replace this with multiple power supplies rather inexpensively however I'd rather have a more moder control anyway. If anyone is interested in any of the parts let me know. Tenatively I plan to replace the drives, servos and everything except the physical cabinet itself. I was going to use it to house the new electronics. As a side not if anyone has any information on interfacing with the baldor servo drives I may attempt to reuse them.
    I repaired the power supply out of curiosity and now it's telling me to reload the executive software, I only have disk 1, can anyone help me with locating disk 2? I didn't get it with the machine for whatever reason.

I repaired the power supply out of curiosity and now it's telling me to reload the executive software, I only have disk 1, can anyone help me with locating disk 2? I didn't get it with the machine for whatever reason.
    pics

Re: Hurco Hawk 5M Retrofit

What software are you running? Are you loading the software from boot via the floppies?
    Do you have the config disk?

It won't boot from the hard drive. I get the error shown above when trying to do so. I've tried to boot from floppy, the disk reads:

Hawk 5M Max 3 ISA
    Very. 1.51
    05 July 94

I only have disk 1 of 2. Disk 2 did not come with the machine. It read the first disk fine but I can only get as far as the screen to insert the second disk since I don't have it. I've contacted Hurco but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I might be able to find it for you. The thing is, after v1.52, it needed more memory. Do you know how much is in your system?

dont have a clue on the memory but if you have a disk i will be happy to try it, thank you for looking into this

The oldest I could find was V1.54
    It may need more memory than you have (I think it needed 4Mb if I remember correctly).
    If you want it, I’ll send it with a Hawk5 config too.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    The oldest I could find was V1.54
    It may need more memory than you have (I think it needed 4Mb if I remember correctly).
    If you want it, I’ll send it with a Hawk5 config too.
    That would be great! Thank you very much. If it doesn't work it's no big deal because it's not any good like it sets. You can email me at biqut2 at Gmail dot com.

Got the email, thank you! will try it out tomorrow afternoon.

Where are you located? I have a backup hard drive but I have a feeling it requires more memory then you may have like bloke hinted towards. Its a 2.0v he would know the requirements. If you do decide to go the new electronics route i may be interested in some of the old parts.
    Got the email, thank you! will try it out tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandvet03 View Post
    Where are you located? I have a backup hard drive but I have a feeling it requires more memory then you may have like bloke hinted towards. Its a 2.0v he would know the requirements. If you do decide to go the new electronics route i may be interested in some of the old parts.
    Yeah the disk he sent me wouldn't boot. I looked on the motherboard and it only has one SIMM in it so I'm assuming 4mb of RAM. Didn't think to take note of it on the POST screen. In any case I decided to go ahead with the retrofit. I'm located in Birmingham Alabama. If there are any parts you'd like jst lay claim to them. I"ll be needing to get them out of the way very soon.