584,830 active members*
5,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

No Ethernet Connection Detected

What the heck does that mean? On first power up of the new machine I selected 1100 series 3 and the next screen says "No Ethernet Link Detected Check Cabling Between Controller and Machine"

Everything is hooked up. There is no Ethernet connection to connect between the controller and the machine. Its got a freaking DB25 connection. (Mesa Board if I recall)

What the heck?
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Re: No Ethernet Connection Detected

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    What the heck does that mean? On first power up of the new machine I selected 1100 series 3 and the next screen says "No Ethernet Link Detected Check Cabling Between Controller and Machine"

Everything is hooked up. There is no Ethernet connection to connect between the controller and the machine. Its got a freaking DB25 connection. (Mesa Board if I recall)

What the heck?
    I just ordered a new controller with delivery Monday. I was expecting to follow these instructions to get it up and running.

https://www.tormach.com/uploads/903/...0318A-pdf.html

Other then that I have no clue. Did it update the mesa card? Check to see if mesa card is seated also. Shipping can cause pcie cards to pop out.
    I read people run Tormachs with Ethernet connections and I think with custom encoders from what I gather on linuxcnc. Guessing for rigid tapping or other secret functions

The "No Ethernet link..." message occurs when no PCI Mesa card is found. The assumption is that you have a Mesa 7i92 attached via Ethernet. A 7i92 provides similar functions to the usual Mesa 5i25/6i25 and, I'm guessing, there will be a new Tormach product that eliminates the parallel port cable. As mentioned by mountaindew, verify that your PCI Mesa card is fully seated. Also, have you powered off the machine to complete the reboot of the Mesa card?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I just ordered a new controller with delivery Monday. I was expecting to follow these instructions to get it up and running.

https://www.tormach.com/uploads/903/...0318A-pdf.html
    Same Instructions I have.

Other then that I have no clue. Did it update the mesa card?
    No

Check to see if mesa card is seated also. Shipping can cause pcie cards to pop out.
    Yep. Seated.
    I read people run Tormachs with Ethernet connections and I think with custom encoders from what I gather on linuxcnc. Guessing for rigid tapping or other secret functions
    Total steps and screens and information.

Accept EULA
    Select Machine
    No link detected check cables. Cancel or OK

Ok ... nothing happens.

Cancel goes to shut down.

Next boot

Ok ... nothing happens.

Next boot

Ok ... nothing happens.

Next boot

Ok ... nothing happens.

Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The "No Ethernet link..." message occurs when no PCI Mesa card is found. The assumption is that you have a Mesa 7i92 attached via Ethernet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I opened up the box and its got a 5i25 card in it.

A 7i92 provides similar functions to the usual Mesa 5i25/6i25 and, I'm guessing, there will be a new Tormach product that eliminates the parallel port cable. As mentioned by mountaindew, verify that your PCI Mesa card is fully seated. Also, have you powered off the machine to complete the reboot of the Mesa card?
    Right down to unplugging the cables from the wall.
    Bob La Londe

I believe it's talking about the optional ethernet connection between the controller and your local Ethernet. If you don't have a ethernet cable plugged into the controller or a usb wifi adapter, you don't have an Ethernet link. It's not needed for the mill to operate. If you have it, you can use it to share CAM produced g-code files across your local network.

Not sure why it not going into the program when you click OK.

Well, I sent the same message to Tormach. Hopefully I get a useful answer...

Kinda of annoying to spend way to much for a low spec PC because it will be "preconfigured" if it doesn't work.
    Bob La Londe

As mentioned this is definitely an issue where the MESA card is not found so the software looks for a 7i92 on the Ethernet port. If that is not found then you get the message you’re describing.

Make sure the MESA card jumpers are installed correctly. Try moving the card to another PCI slot. Make sure the BIOS is set correctly. Maybe just a bad card – rare…

When PP 2 came out I switched to the 7i92 Ethernet card and ditched the 5i25/5i25 parallel port version on my PCNC1100.

I did this because I needed to update my computer & wanted to use a NUC like form factor mounted underneath the keyboard.

See here for more info: New Controller For MY PCNC 1100

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    As mentioned this is definitely an issue where the MESA card is not found so the software looks for a 7i92 on the Ethernet port. If that is not found then you get the message you’re describing.

Make sure the MESA card jumpers are installed correctly. Try moving the card to another PCI slot.
    I was going to mention this also, because of reading it in the past. Maybe the mesa guy that posts here will know a simple answer.

I was going to mention this also, because of reading it in the past. Maybe the mesa guy that posts here will know a simple answer.
    I guess I'm that mesa guy...

Possible problems if a 5I25 card is not found:

1. Dirty contacts/ partial insertion: remove card and check for dirty contacts, clean slot and 5I25 contacts with 99% IPA (not the ale)

2. Marginal 3.3V power (check that red LEDs on top right end of card light briefly at power up but both go out)
    if both stay on solid at power up it probably means the ATX power supply has low enough 3.3V that the 5I25 reset
    circuit doesn't release the card from reset

3. Corrupt Flash memory (again check the red LEDs at power up) if they blink off briefly but then come back on this
    means that somehow the flash memory on the 5I25 has been corrupted

4. Other card/slot issues (trying another slot may help)

Not sure what Tormachs return policy is but we can send a known good loaner card to check if its a card or controller issue

It's a brand new mill. Tormach will swap the controller or card (probably the controller so that they can analyze the issue). I have seen them do that before on an issue like this.

Make sure the MESA card jumpers are installed correctly
    Since I didn't receive any documentation on the Mesa 5i25 card and/or how its implemented with Path Pilot I wouldn't know what the correct jumper settings are.

Try moving the card to another PCI slot
    I unseated and reseated the card a couple times (like we used to have to do with the cheap tin plated memory we used to buy from Yokohama Telecom back in the mid 90s) but I didn't try it in another card slot. I can't recall having a bad card slot in a computer since the dark ages of bread boarding our own components, but I guess its possible. I guess I'll try it.

1. Dirty contacts/ partial insertion: remove card and check for dirty contacts, clean slot and 5I25 contacts with 99% IPA (not the ale)
    I have some DNA I use for welding prep (not the genetic code) and some cotton swabs. I'll give that a shot if I have time before Tormach gets back to me.

2. Marginal 3.3V
    power
    (check that red LEDs on top right end of card
    light
    briefly at
    power
    up but both go out)
    if both stay on solid at power up it probably means the
    ATX power supply
    has low enough 3.3V that the 5I25 reset
    circuit doesn't release the card from reset
    Wow. That would suck. I was not aware that anybody we making desktop cases and power supplies with 3.3V bus voltage. I thought they were all still 5V. Guess that shows how out of date I am. Speaking of cases and Yokohama Telecom, this case has the fit of an Yokohama "sushi" case. I was not impressed. The card locking bar is a neat application though. Its got a bar across the metal tabs that makes screwing them down redundant. I did not power it up with the case open. Again if I have time before Tormach gets back with me I'll have to do that.

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said before. Kind of annoying though. Well that's an understatement. I was screaming at it in the shop on Friday afternoon. It was clearly not working right, and I knew there was zero chance of a reply from Tormach for atleast 3 days.
    Bob La Londe

I mostly work at night and weekends so tech support is always days away. Never needed it in 4 years of running my mill. Only Sprutcam
    As for the controller I could assemble one blind folded for 60% of their price. I only purchased one for the support and to support the product line. Let you know Monday night if my unit is faulty! Mostly happy to retire the 20 year old Pentium based Dell I was using. It had a serious latency problem with large programs!

Must be nice to never have a problem you can't solve yourself. I think if I had that gift I'd start a church. Church of Bob Bar & Grill. Billiards in the front strippers in the back.

Ultimately even if I can fix it myself, then I am fixing a new machine instead of getting actual work done.

I had a much longer reply, but decided it wasn't any more helpful.
    Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Ultimately even if I can fix it myself, then I am fixing a new machine instead of getting actual work done.
    Yeah, I've been there plenty of times after purchasing both the PCNC1100 & 15L Slant Pro. Tormach is great at replacing things but when it's not so obvious what's wrong their support deteriorates quickly. Every time they say we'll get back with you I know I'm pretty much on my own.

Anyway, the MESA jumpers must be set correctly. You can download the manual at Mesa Electronics for your card.

Here are how the jumpers should be set:

5i25 W1 - W5

6i25 W1 - W5, W7 & W8

Note: The jumpers are 3-pin headers. The black rectangle represents the the pins jumper position.

I would also try resetting the BIOS to it's default settings...

If this is not the problem it sounds like Tormach will have to replace your card or maybe the controller.

Well, I did all the obvious. I really doubted it would fix it, but I figured why not.

On power up two lights on the board light up one time momentarily and then shut down never to come on again.

Cleaned the card and the slots.

Tried the card in both available slots. Reset the bios to bios defaults.

All with the same results. Jumper settings are correct. Still have not heard back from Tormach Tech support, although somebody in between sent me a message and made sure to forward it to them.

I'm sorry your brand new controller isn't working.

Tech Support -- please assist Bob getting his new controller running or replaced.

The symptoms are indicative of the PCI Mesa card inside the controller not being detected by the PathPilot software. It falls back to looking for an Ethernet Mesa card if it can't find the PCI Mesa card.

Short term you can remove the top cover on the controller case and remove and reinsert the PCI Mesa card. It may have worked loose in shipping. If that doesn't help try a different PCI slot. Watch the two red LEDs on the Mesa card as the controller boots. They should briefly do some blinking and both turn off under normal circumstances.
    Bob La Londe

Just unboxed my controller connected cables, booted, updated firmware, rebooted and was up and running in 5 minutes. It fixed my latency problem with large programs and I am very happy. That was my first test because I almost crashed a probe last week and this solved that with little drama.
    Hope you get your working or have them send another unit!

Just downloaded update, will get that installed and then copy backup of tool table and I should be up with the rest of the world now.
    like others have mentioned they ship now with sdd. If it had a spinner hdd I would be replacing it with a ssd as we speak.

Latency with large programs? I saw you mention that before. That would be a huge problem for me. I run programs over a million lines of code modestly often, and half a million very frequently. Atelast a couple times a week. I've even got a few jobs between 2 and 3 million lines of code. I'm running those on smaller machines under Mach 3. One of the reasons (there are many) I decided to buy a Tormach with PathPilot was I had the impression those big programs were less of a problem. On my Mach 3 driven machines I just bludgeoned it to death with bigger faster computers. I can even leave the toolpath display on upto half million lines or so.
    Bob La Londe

I mostly work at night and weekends so tech support is always days away. Never needed it in 4 years of running my mill. Only Sprutcam
    As for the controller I could assemble one blind folded for 60% of their price. I only purchased one for the support and to support the product line. Let you know Monday night if my unit is faulty! Mostly happy to retire the 20 year old Pentium based Dell I was using. It had a serious latency problem with large programs!
    Just unboxed my controller connected cables, booted, updated firmware, rebooted and was up and running in 5 minutes. It fixed my latency problem with large programs and I am very happy. That was my first test because I almost crashed a probe last week and this solved that with little drama.
    Hope you get your working or have them send another unit!

Just downloaded update, will get that installed and then copy backup of tool table and I should be up with the rest of the world now.
    like others have mentioned they ship now with sdd. If it had a spinner hdd I would be replacing it with a ssd as we speak.
    Took another 5 minutes to update and to restore all my tool offsets
    Kind of spooky running the first time, just hard for me to trust I did it right. But it was easy straight forward, well documented process.
    Made a few parts and now I will let it set on for 24+ hours if no failures I expect to have no problems for another 20 years
    I would like point out I use real power conditioning ups power supplies for all my computers and they all run on dedicated clean circuits. Only the best for my tools

btw I have huge files now because I no longer use any canned cycles!

And the mouse that come with this is the biggest ugliest thing I ever seen lol

Anyway hope you get yours fixed and your running code. This turned out to be one of those, I should have done this a couple years ago. I was nursing junk. Now to get a touch screen, the new version 2.02 looks very touch screen friendly. Did you get that option?

Page 1 of 3 123