585,555 active members*
3,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

QCTP and Parting Blades

I have a hard time to pick up a QCTP for my mini lathe because I dont know if they will fit my machine. Any idea how to choose one? There are many on ebay / Amazon but would they fit?

Also I cant find and parting (cutoff) tools. I will make my own holder, just need the blade

Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: QCTP and Parting Blades

Why not just get one from Taig: Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes. ? It's not quick-change, but least you'll know it fits. Usually they're mounted on the far side of the work, with the tool upside-down.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I didn’t know Taig had this cut off blade, my local rep Lee Valley does not show it on his site but now I got the part number I will order it

No idea on how to select a QCTP?
    Nicolas

You need to measure the lathe centre height and compare with the QCTP dimensions. the kit I purchased (bigger lathe) included a parting tool holder in the 5 holders that came with it. So look for a kit like that.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

I’m new to lathe and bought a mini Taig as a hobby. I understand what you say Rod but on these QCTP they only give dimensions of the main body and the tool holder part but the tool holder sits bellow the top of the body and this dimension is missing. So knowing the height of the main body and tool holder does not give me what I want unless I miss something.

As for the parting tool, some they give the parting tool holder (without the blade) and then I have to find a blade to fit my holder. Anyway I can manage with that but the QCTP remains a problem for me.

Perhaps I will make a QCTP which may be hard for my limited skills. I found this thread and bought the plans for USD3.00 but he also has a very nice video on how he makes one. Very interesting
    store ? confounded machine

Cheers
    Nicolas

At a guess, it will be an AXA. (250-111)

Info on the one I bought.

Dimensions of tool post
    QUICK CHANGE TOOLPOST (1PC) - WEDGE TYPE #N44 | CTC Tools
    Dimensions of tool holder
    QUICK CHANGE TOOLPOST HOLDER FOR TURNING AND FACING (1PC) #N45 | CTC Tools

Also a smaller one here but uses the inferior Pin style clamp rather than the wedge style
    https://www.banggood.com/Mini-Quick-..._warehouse=USA

The main thing is to get the tip of the tool up to cutting height. If it sits too high, then the best solution is to mill the bottom of the tool holder away.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Thanks Rod, very good info and your QCTP looks really nice

I tried to find the AXA (250-111) on that site but had no luck

The tip of my tool (cutting height) from the top of my slide (where the QCTP will sit) is 32.49mm. I will have another look later at that site and hopefully I will find one and get my chances

They provide all kinds of dimensions but the most critical (cutting height) is nowhere to be found

Cheers
    Nicolas

Hey Rod, forgot something

Normally I shop at eBay or Amazon and never tried Banggood.com. Are they in China?

Did you get good service / fast delivery?

Thanks
    Nicolas

Firstly, on that CTC link there is a drop down to select the product but the tables list dimensions of every product.
    Also, I don't know the swing of your lathe so do your own research before buying.
    Bear in mind I am probably on the other side of the world to you and much closer to Asia and have never been able to buy from Amazon until they opened here recently.
    I have used CTC tools quite a lot.
    A friend has used Banggood and they have crazy priced ISO insert tooling that has parting tools with 10 inserts for $15
    I think they are global and might have multiple distribution centres.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Got it Rod

Think I'm out of luck cause my swing is only 4.42" (mini lathe) so most likely I will make one myself based on the link I provided earlier

Cheers
    Nicolas