584,830 active members*
5,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronic wiring

I'm a woodworker not an electronic dude. Building the cnc router table was easy. Doing the electronic wiring is not. I have some of it wired, I think its right but i don't know. I am having major problems at the breakout board. Here's what I have. I have a Smooth Stepper and a Smooth Stepper LPT board, I think the LPT is the same thing as a BOB. I don't know how to wire the estop or the limit switches. I am not familiar with electronic acronyms, schematics and more than half the time I have no idea what I am reading. Could someone please help me?
    Jim

Re: Electronic wiring

You'll need to clarify on "Smooth Stepper LPT," I think. A terminal board for the SmoothStepper would be a breakout board (BOB). The SmoothStepper is your motion controller board.

The connection between them uses the LPT parallel pinout, just for compatibility reasons in your case. No actual parallel port involved.

Have you seen their FAQ? https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-bobs#Connecting

Do you have the C25 terminal board?

For the limit switches, assuming you're setting up Mach 3, they have a good tutorial vid on that subject.

For the e-stop, it can be either an input to the controller software or a hardware based disable, but first things first is to find a pinout document or something based on which breakout board you have.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. You are right, I have the C25 terminal board but I am running Mach4 not Mach3. I've tried to relate the Mach3 settings to Mach4 but they don't all work out and since I don't have an electronics brain I'm getting nowhere fast. I took the pictures from the configuration instructions and copied them but I haven't been able to check them our as I have an estop that needs to be cleared but it doesn't stop the machine anyway but it does say the estop is in effect so I don't know what the problem is there.
    Well have a nice day.

Somebody else chime in here... I have no idea, as far as particular issue of estop that won't clear w/ Mach 4...

You could post screenshots of the configs you've entered. Someone might spot something.