584,319 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Brand new DYN4 400W set - goes in Overcurrent fault as soon as motor is connected
Page 1 of 2 12

Brand new DYN4 400W set - goes in Overcurrent fault as soon as motor is connected

So I just received two 400W DYN4 driver and motor sets to convert my SX3 mill from steppers. I connected everything per the manual on the bench to test it out and make sure all the wiring is correct but as soon as I power it on with the motor connected to the driver within 5 seconds the drive goes into a fault and on the program it shows it as Overcurrent. If the motor is not connected to the driver and I turn the driver on it works just fine with no faults.
    I connected both sets in all possible pairs to eliminate a potential bad component in either system but I got the same behavior from both sets.
    Again, everything is brand new with brand new cables, all ordered from CNC4PC. What am I doing wrong?
    I am connecting to single phase 220V. Tomorrow I will try with 120V but I have a feeling that is not my problem. The manual says either a bad encoder cable or an excessive load on the motor. The motors were just sitting on the bench so no load whatsoever. Both encoder cables are brand new.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Re: Brand new DYN4 400W set - goes in Overcurrent fault as soon as motor is connected

What is the part numbers on your Drives and Motors?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Brand new DYN4 400W set - goes in Overcurrent fault as soon as motor is connected

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What is the part numbers on your Drives and Motors?
    I can't see them right now as I am not home but this is what I ordered if it helps for now: https://cnc4pc.com/dmm-dyn4-servo-kit-400w-at-200v.html

It looks like the set you ordered is properly matched, but confirm that the motors are 640-DST-A6HS1 motors. I would send an email to DMM tech support. They are very responsive. [email protected]

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

When I ordered from CNC4PC, they sent me a 60V motor by mistake, so make sure you have the right motor.

And you have to be careful when using 240V. DMM recommends a line reactor before the drives.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by jivkom View Post
    So I just received two 400W DYN4 driver and motor sets to convert my SX3 mill from steppers. I connected everything per the manual on the bench to test it out and make sure all the wiring is correct but as soon as I power it on with the motor connected to the driver within 5 seconds the drive goes into a fault and on the program it shows it as Overcurrent. If the motor is not connected to the driver and I turn the driver on it works just fine with no faults.
    I connected both sets in all possible pairs to eliminate a potential bad component in either system but I got the same behavior from both sets.
    Again, everything is brand new with brand new cables, all ordered from CNC4PC. What am I doing wrong?
    I am connecting to single phase 220V. Tomorrow I will try with 120V but I have a feeling that is not my problem. The manual says either a bad encoder cable or an excessive load on the motor. The motors were just sitting on the bench so no load whatsoever. Both encoder cables are brand new.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    One thing to check is the Servo Drive, you could have the wrong one for that motor, for 400w servo motor, the Servo Drive needs to be DYN4-L01A-2-00

If this is correct how are you running it, which software are you using and what settings are you using, you may well be over driving the motor, and this will give you this same fault
    Mactec54

It looks like the set you ordered is properly matched, but confirm that the motors are 640-DST-A6HS1 motors. I would send an email to DMM tech support. They are very responsive. [email protected]

So I just checked and the motors are PN 640-DST-A6HK1. The drivers are PN or model DYN4- L01 A2 00.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    One thing to check is the Servo Drive, you could have the wrong one for that motor, for 400w servo motor, the Servo Drive needs to be DYN4-L01A-2-00

If this is correct how are you running it, which software are you using and what settings are you using, you may well be over driving the motor, and this will give you this same fault

That seems to be the correct PN. I am connecting after a magnetic contractor as described in the manual.

I think it's time for an email or call to DMM tech support. They'll be open in about an hour.

http://www.dmm-tech.com/contact.html
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That seems to be the correct PN. I am connecting after a magnetic contractor as described in the manual.
    You should not be using a magnetic contactor, it should be a MCCB which is a Molded Case Circuit Breaker

Do you have a line reactor to prevent the in rush over voltage plus the power filter on the Control Logic Power Circuit

You did not say what software you are using to run the motor

Does this happen when you go to run the Servo motor, Or does this happen on Power up
    Mactec54

The manual shows an MCCB, followed by a magnetic contactor, labeled MC1.
    And it says your Estop should kill the contactor coil.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You should not be using a magnetic contactor, it should be a MCCB which is a Molded Case Circuit Breaker
    The manual specifies both a MCCB and a mag contactor

Here is an in-process picture of my setup. I bench tuned all four motors yesterday with no problems with the exception of a minor misunderstanding of the Enable input function wiring which was quickly resolved by tech support.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Do you have a line reactor to prevent the in rush over voltage plus the power filter on the Control Logic Power Circuit

You did not say what software you are using to run the motor

Does this happen when you go to run the Servo motor, Or does this happen on Power up
    I’m using the DMM software, latest version downloaded from their website last night.

This happens within a few seconds after powering the driver when the motor is connected to the driver or within seconds of connnecting the motor to the driver of the driver is already powered. It’s definitely the connection to the motor that triggers the fault, without even trying to drive it to move.

Just got off the phone with DMM. They said it might be a firmware mismatch. I had to email them a picture of the plates to see the serial numbers. Hopefully it's something simple to resolve.

Just got off the phone with DMM. They said it might be a firmware mismatch. I had to email them a picture of the plates to see the serial numbers. Hopefully it's something simple to resolve.
    Do you have the servo motor connected directly to the Drive, No switches or any other connections between the motor and the Drive

It does sound like something is a not a match, and could well be the firmware in the Servo Drive is a mismatch for the Servo Motor you are using

Disconnect the servomotor at the Drive and try a power up
    Mactec54

Do you have the servo motor connected directly to the Drive, No switches or any other connections between the motor and the Drive

It does sound like something is a not a match, and could well be the firmware in the Servo Drive is a mismatch for the Servo Motor you are using

Disconnect the servomotor at the Drive and try a power up
    Correct, directly connected to the drive with brand new cables from DMM.

The drive powers up and stays on with no faults without connecting the motor to it.

Correct, directly connected to the drive with brand new cables from DMM.

The drive powers up and stays on with no faults without connecting the motor to it.
    It seems then that it has the wrong firmware is installed or could even be just the wrong label was put on the drive

Check the wiring A B C is correct before you try the motors again

Just try with ( 1 ) servo motor connected, if it faults on power up, then check the other motor to see if it does the same, if it does it would be a good indication the drives are not for the motors you have

Something else to check is the A B C connection of the servo Motor to Drive these have to be correct if ( 1 ) phase is not wired correct you can have this problem also so check there wire color spec's match the A B C connection

Blue is A Phase

Red is B Phase

Black is C Phase

These must be wired correct

Ground connected to your Ground Plane, or Star Ground
    Mactec54

All resolved. Wrong firmware.

All resolved. Wrong firmware.
    Is the firmware user updatable?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Is the firmware user updatable?
    It's more configurable rather than upgradeable.

Page 1 of 2 12