584,879 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > 2 AXIS WAVEFORM

2 AXIS WAVEFORM

So, I just installed Surfcam Traditional 2018 R1. I have the Base 3 axis module. In the whats new file I read the 2 axis waveform was now included. When I go under NC> 2 Axis, waveform is not listed. Did I misunderstand the whats new and that it is something that has to be purchased?

Compared to Truemill how is Waveform?

Thanks in advance!

Re: 2 AXIS WAVEFORM

Quote Originally Posted by marine1775 View Post
    So, I just installed Surfcam Traditional 2018 R1. I have the Base 3 axis module. In the whats new file I read the 2 axis waveform was now included. When I go under NC> 2 Axis, waveform is not listed. Did I misunderstand the whats new and that it is something that has to be purchased?

Compared to Truemill how is Waveform?

Thanks in advance!
    I asked our reseller the same question because I read the what's new file and thought exactly the same as you. They said that it is not included if you don't already have Trumill. To me, Waveform is exactly like Tru-mill

Quote Originally Posted by axleech View Post
    I asked our reseller the same question because I read the what's new file and thought exactly the same as you. They said that it is not included if you don't already have Trumill. To me, Waveform is exactly like Tru-mill
    I reached out to my reseller also after posting here.

This is what he replied:

"Hello Russell,

Thank you for reaching back out! The 2 axis toolpath Waveform is available out of the box and can be found under the NC Tab selecting 2 axis Waveform. If you would like to explore any of the 3 axis functionality, the Truemill module would be required. Please let me know if you would like an evaluation of that.

Best Regards,"

Who knows?!!

That is strange. This is the response I received, see below:

I asked the same question to the Surfcam product manager…

Hi John,
    Just to be clear, the new 2D Waveform is only for customers that have 2D Truemill correct? The what's new PDF does not confirm this statement.
    Thanks, Brent

Back when Vero purchased Surfcam they did not buy Truemill – it stayed with the family that started Surfcam, and Vero has been paying them royalties for Truemill ever since.
    -Brent

That's crazy.. So, I know longer have the reseller I started out with. Starting this year Vero took over my account and the guy I am dealing with works for Vero, not third party. Does your guy work for Vero? Just wondering who has the most correct and up to date info. Or if my guy is confused!! LOL!!

Our reseller works for third party. We have been using them for almost 20 years. We have 7 seats of Surfcam traditional and only 3 of those have Tru-mill. Waveform only works on the ones that have Tru-mill.

Yea, I don't have Truemill loaded on my seat. I used Truemill years ago. I really liked it but, changed jobs so the seat I am working on now is a seat that was purchased after they started making you pay extra for it.

That is strange. This is the response I received, see below:

I asked the same question to the Surfcam product manager…

Hi John,
    Just to be clear, the new 2D Waveform is only for customers that have 2D Truemill correct? The what's new PDF does not confirm this statement.
    Thanks, Brent

Back when Vero purchased Surfcam they did not buy Truemill – it stayed with the family that started Surfcam, and Vero has been paying them royalties for Truemill ever since.
    -Brent
    Your guy was right you have to purchase it. Just contacted Support at Vero and told me the same thing.

It's really too bad that Waveform isn't included with the 2 or 3 axis package. The high efficiency machining really works well! I use it everyday!

It's really too bad that Waveform isn't included with the 2 or 3 axis package. The high efficiency machining really works well! I use it everyday!
    I know what you mean. When I had access to it I used it everyday also. Especially, when you have companies like HSM and others offering their 2.5 axis product ( I believe they have a version of True Mill also that is included) for free and it is integrated into Solidworks.

I haven't used Surfcam since 2016R1 but from what I remember Waveform(Pocket Rough) wasn't all that efficient unless it was a round pocket. All the feed between moves were at the same feed rate as your plunge. So unless you could Max feed to depth I never saw a reason to use it over TruMill. It may have changed since then though.

having read through all these I saw that vero decided to write there own version of truemill because truemill has not done a update in 3 years and they are paying for it (they actually took it from Edgecam or one of there other cam systems), hmm sounds familiar vero, I updated/payed maintenance on my seat from 2014 to 2017 and so for 3 years surfcam added a couple of minuscule features and broke verification, what a balancing act.