585,982 active members*
4,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD
Page 1 of 3 123

Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD

hey guys so I am starting a project and I thought it would be cool to share.

I have been wanting to build a CNC router for quite some time now and decided to build my own because I just hate the look of the extrusions.

so I have been playing in cad and have been switching my design over and over. (im sure you know how that goes)

so it begins see below my first initial thought.

So the idea was to draw it all up so it could be cut from plate on the waterjet at work.

after my thoughts came to paper I seen a few flaws so I scratched the whole idea.( waste of a couple hours.)

so here comes the next idea.

So now the fun begins I start to make the parts out of wood before I commit to something expensive like aluminum.

So I like the design its coming together but it just seems a tad weak I know its wood so its going to be way weaker and its also 3/8" but remember just to get a idea for fitment issues.

but I change it yet again!

I added a full length gusset on both sides i figure it will help support the cable track and also help for strength.

so what do you guys think?

next up cut the gantry out and start putting the rest together.

I have got such great feedback from my shop that they want to make them and sell them. we will see how this one goes but even for 3/8 wood it is super strong with barely any flex!

Stay tuned!

Re: Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD

Looks like an interesting build. Is the new design still going to use v-groove bearings? If the plan is to make the whole thing out of 3/8" aluminum I suspect you have the budget for true linear rail. I don't expect your dog bone braces to accomplish much once you have cross members installed to support the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Qicker306 View Post
    Looks like an interesting build. Is the new design still going to use v-groove bearings? If the plan is to make the whole thing out of 3/8" aluminum I suspect you have the budget for true linear rail. I don't expect your dog bone braces to accomplish much once you have cross members installed to support the bed.
    As of right now I’m just going to use vgrove bearings. I went with the dog bone so I can have stability’s if I stand a large piece up in the open are however I think with the way it is together they are almost pointless as it is. You can almost stand on it.

I'd make it steel, and make the cutouts smaller, or eliminate them.

I'd also see if you can find a way to afford these.
    overstock & surplus automation products: Linear Bearings/Rail, BLH Linear Guideway

They's be a huge improvement over V bearings.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello!, how is the quality of the linear rails you linking to Ger21?
    I have ordered (and received) some rails from china, that is a copy of Hiwin. The finish on the bearing blocks and the rails is very bad, but i think they did there job...... For a little while..

Greetings from Robert.
    My second homebuilt cnc machine cnczone.com/forums/norwegian_club_house/123977-ombygget_cnc_-_gecko_540_a.html

Yea I like the Idea of aluminum just for weight and have pretty good buying power through the company I work for.

I will definitely make a adapter kit for linear rails in the future.

My work cant wait to see it complete to consider marketing it.

Overall cutting envelope is 32"x62"x7"

Trying to make it as easy to assemble as possible. Using the same style connection points as the ANET A8 3d printer. ( Just not as many little parts LOL)

More weight can be your friend.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You are not wrong there. Maybe I will make it out of both. if sold in kits in the future what do you think would sell more?

Steel should make for a better machine, at a lower cost.
    I guess it depends on what market you are targeting. That looks like a lightweight hobby machine to me.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Steel should make for a better machine, at a lower cost.
    I guess it depends on what market you are targeting. That looks like a lightweight hobby machine to me.
    Yea that’s kinda the plan at this point I want to setup kits with a interchangeable heads. if I can get this one working correctly and it’s cost to manufacture is affordable to a end user. There are few kits out there and I haven’t came across a machine that is that size without extrusions for a hobby style Cnc. To me the extrusions are nice they just are easy to copy and there all to similar.

Hey guys just a small update.

Had a shop vote and came up with a name ORION

3d printed parts to insure fitment of everything.

and cut some aluminum!!

check it out!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1647.jpg   IMG_1648.jpg   IMG_1649.jpg  

Looks as if you have some experience building aircraft. No need for the weight reduction. You're not gaining anything and may be introducing some potential for flex and vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Looks as if you have some experience building aircraft. No need for the weight reduction. You're not gaining anything and may be introducing some potential for flex and vibration.
    Yea I have been playing around with the Letters of the name Orion and I will have some 3d renderings I’m going to throw up later. Going to ditch all the weight reduction and just use the lettering as some of it.

Okay got a semi complete 3d rendering.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ORION.jpg  

Most of the metal in your design in not doing anything, as the square rails are mostly floating. What kind of V rollers are you using? They look like plastic?
    I think the sides are too tall, and too narrow, and cutting the name in them makes them much weaker.
    While it looks kinda cool, it also looks incredibly flimsy, which is the opposite of what you want in a CNC router. Look at mass produce4d commercial and industrial machines, and they look nothing like what you are doing. Unfortunately, that would imply that you are doing it wrong.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Most of the metal in your design in not doing anything, as the square rails are mostly floating. What kind of V rollers are you using? They look like plastic?
    I think the sides are too tall, and too narrow, and cutting the name in them makes them much weaker.
    While it looks kinda cool, it also looks incredibly flimsy, which is the opposite of what you want in a CNC router. Look at mass produce4d commercial and industrial machines, and they look nothing like what you are doing. Unfortunately, that would imply that you are doing it wrong.
    As I understand where you are coming from flimsy is definitely not at all this design the only flex I had was being able to pull the two middle together which this was solved by adding the full length gussets. Now even doing testing on wood t could stand on it. It’s 3/8 wood I think that’s pretty incredible if you ask me. I do understand that the rails are only supported in 5 places this is every 10” this is better then the recommended 15” of support. The rails will be 4140 prehard or 1018 case hardened. The v wheels are Cncrouter parts v-con wheels as a test I printed them in plastic to check fitment of everything while I wait for parts to get shipped to me. (Does anyone know how long Cncrouter parts takes?) as I do greatly appreciate all feedback I’m looking forward to do some strength testing to verify what kind of flex I will see.

Hopefully i can offer some udeas to consider. First trying to go low cost can be problematic as it works against stiffness and precision in construction. Likewise keeping weight down to cut shipping expenses works against machine structures that are solid.

In any event ideas fly through my head with respect to machine building so i will offer up a couple of options. One approach to sheet metal construction has seen some acceptance in the eelding industry. Take a look at Tab and Slot dot com where they have a system for constructing stiff tables out of sheet metal. You would need access to a good laser or water jet to go this route. Plus you can ship kits of panels or fully assembled machines. In the case of a CNC you can get as complex as you want with the panel designs.

A second option would be to find a rolling mill willing to do short runs to your specs. With this approach you can structure the side panels in any manner you might want. To feed your imagination consider various structures that use custom rolled sheet metal parts. Whare housing shelving units are one example. Overhead gantry cranes are another. The problem here is having enough volume to get past setup charges.

Volume is the killer when it comes to economical construction methods. This is why steel tubing becomes so appealing as it is readily available, low cost and easy to fabricate. What you may want to consider is a construction approach that leverages your panel cutting interest with off the shelf steel tubing. In any event for the machine to wirk in an acceptable manner you need to keep the X Axis panels stiff. Vibration or twisting will grossly impact machine performance.

It feels strong at this stage because your just trying to check for flex by pushing on it, standing on it etc. and its not flexing much. But when its under power and its accelerating and decelerating, you'll quickly see its undesired flexing. I would say that you'll probably be satisfied with its rigidity if you stick to cutting non-ferrous material at moderate speeds. If this is your first build consider it a great start. Apply the lessons you'll learn as you progress to your next build.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    It feels strong at this stage because your just trying to check for flex by pushing on it, standing on it etc. and its not flexing much. But when its under power and its accelerating and decelerating, you'll quickly see its undesired flexing. I would say that you'll probably be satisfied with its rigidity if you stick to cutting non-ferrous material at moderate speeds. If this is your first build consider it a great start. Apply the lessons you'll learn as you progress to your next build.
    I appreciate the feedback. I honestly didn't think to build this with the intention to cut anything more then wood and maybe aluminum. as this is my first build, im sure that it will adapt into three to four builds of different style and variations. cutting steel would of been a different approach.

My background is in Machining/Water-jetting and programming/Designing. Im curious as to how this plays out and will take all the opinions into consideration before I blast it out of steel or aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Hopefully i can offer some udeas to consider. First trying to go low cost can be problematic as it works against stiffness and precision in construction. Likewise keeping weight down to cut shipping expenses works against machine structures that are solid.

In any event ideas fly through my head with respect to machine building so i will offer up a couple of options. One approach to sheet metal construction has seen some acceptance in the eelding industry. Take a look at Tab and Slot dot com where they have a system for constructing stiff tables out of sheet metal. You would need access to a good laser or water jet to go this route. Plus you can ship kits of panels or fully assembled machines. In the case of a CNC you can get as complex as you want with the panel designs.

A second option would be to find a rolling mill willing to do short runs to your specs. With this approach you can structure the side panels in any manner you might want. To feed your imagination consider various structures that use custom rolled sheet metal parts. Whare housing shelving units are one example. Overhead gantry cranes are another. The problem here is having enough volume to get past setup charges.

Volume is the killer when it comes to economical construction methods. This is why steel tubing becomes so appealing as it is readily available, low cost and easy to fabricate. What you may want to consider is a construction approach that leverages your panel cutting interest with off the shelf steel tubing. In any event for the machine to wirk in an acceptable manner you need to keep the X Axis panels stiff. Vibration or twisting will grossly impact machine performance.
    I checked out what they do and it gave me a few good ideas I appreciate the feedback!

I don't think Im going to have the volume for mill run that is for sure.

this was a personal project that my company believes there is a market for I cant disagree with the market as I have had a lot of great feedback from other sources,customers and vendors all very interested in the idea of being able to put a CNC router in there garage.

Page 1 of 3 123