585,752 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > MILLTRONICS Partner 1 Centurion 6

MILLTRONICS Partner 1 Centurion 6

So I just purchased my first CNC. It's being rigged and set up for delivery hopefully this weekend. Worst case scenario, next weekend. From what I'm told, it is a good working machine and ready to make chips. I almost didn't buy it, but the price was too good to pass up. It's only really missing one thing that I would love for it to have, and that's an automatic tool changer.

Is there an add-on for ATC for this machine?

This is the machine I bought:

1-3-Axis-CNC-Mill-Centurion-6-Vertical-Machining-Center-VMC/142680938908?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2

Since I am pretty damn new to CNC, and I've never really heard of milltronics before this. Is there anywhere that I should start reading about these machines specifically?

Re: MILLTRONICS Partner 1 Centurion 6

Sen2two,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLTRONICS...p2047675.l2557

I belive this is the machine you purchased? Its an older Partner 1 series with a Centurion 5 control not 6, If thats the machine it looks like a Partner 1D or older. Post a picture of the serial number plate, usually on the tor right side of the column as standing in front of machine.

Yes thats the one. It states centurion 5...?

How would one know the difference between the two? And is one really better than the other?

I havnt recieved it yet. Still setting up for rigging/delivery.

Here are the pictures i have though. I can get more specific ones when i receive it.

Few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600.jpg   s-l1600 (4).jpg   s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (7).jpg  

s-l1600 (8).jpg   s-l1600 (6).jpg  

The Black axis card cage in back cabinet its a C5, C6 is a white card cage like this

Attachment 390730

The wiring looks clean and not butchered for a mill that old.

If that's the correct serial number and date code (910) on the card cage in its a 1989 built the 10th week of 89.

I have a 93 Partner 1E my wiring was butchered

Cant read the error code in the picture but the control boots so that's half the battle if the riggers are gentle shipping to you.

How far from you and how are you shipping?

You want the card cage removed or its likely to be laying in the bottom of cabinet when it gets to you as it held in with only 4 rubber isolator's with machine screws that will be torn in half during shipping and if they are still there 2 aluminum cap nuts that I don't see in the picture.

What are the chances i can add an automatic tool changer to this machine? Are they available for purachase as an add on?

I was going to respond to your request for a machine recommendation earlier. Just could not decide at which forum to do so.
    I guess the third time is the charm.

I do not know what you ended up paying for your Partner 1 but that was the machine I was going to suggest for you to look at.
    And just for reference, here is something else I would have thrown in.

You should be able to get a VM16 Partner 1 that was made in the mid to late 90's and maybe delivered,for your original budget price of $7500.00.
    I was able to get 2 of them for a little more than that price.
    Also the VM16 has a full enclosure with a 12 tool, toolchanger, and it is also capable of running on single phase.

From what little I have read, I understand that having a CNC machine is nice, but doing manual tool changes gets old real fast, and was a factor in me holding off buying a machine until one came up with the toolchanger.

I still find it hard to believe that the Milltronics machines, which are made in the U.S.A just are not mentioned enough.
    Dealing with the factory tech. support was a breeze. They could not do enough for you. I don't know if that has changed with new ownership or not, but in the past it sure was good.
    There is a lot of help available here, from some very knowledgeable people also.

Good luck with your machine,
    Dave

Thanks. I dropped the same question on multiple forums to get an assortment of answers. I am looking for a vm16 or similar now. They seem to be priced very well for what you get.

But for now, i want to get this machine up and running and making chips. I REALLY want to find out if a tool changer can be added on to it. But i havnt found anything yet. I'm going to make a thread specifically for it.

Also, where can i find the specs for the machine?

X, Y, Z maximum travel?
    Weight?
    HP?
    Spindle RPM?
    ETC......

From the ebay picture they show the red manual if correct for machine that will be where info you want will be.

As far as as a tool changer your only bet would be a scrapped out machine you could ask sporty bob as he may have a line on where you could get parts enough and wiring harnesses to do. It's not a small inexpensive job.

Learn on that machine and move up to a machine that has a changer probably would be the most economical course of action.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    What are the chances i can add an automatic tool changer to this machine? Are they available for purachase as an add on?
    I saw the reply telling you that fitting one from a scrapped machine was an option - I have a Partner 1J that has the tool changer - no I'm not parting it out. I just wanted to elaborate a little on what the tool changer involves - on mine there is the power drawbar - obviously necessary and there appears to me a solenoid valve for that (probably a relay to drive the valve). The motor on the tool changer carousel has at least two relays to select the direction of rotation. Another solenoid valve that runs a cylinder that swings the tool changer into position. There also has to be a way to insure that the spindle stops at the right point in rotation to line up the tool drive dogs with the tool holder. so there is a fair amount of control circuitry including some sensors to tell where the tool hold is at. A fair amount of programming would be involved as well. Is it possible yes - would it be a big job - I agree it would be a major project. I have seen some fairly simple tool changers on line that were shop built. One of the simplest I have seen used stations mounted to the machine table to park each tool - the table just moved to the tool station and either deposited the tool that was was being taken out or picked up the next tool. Fairly simple g code programming was all that was needed other than the power draw bar - but the spindle still had to stop in the right place to engage the tool holder properly.

Sen2 see my PM.

Call me

sportybob