585,974 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Collecting parts and info for my SM-1 conversion

Collecting parts and info for my SM-1 conversion

Hi everyone,

Quite a while back I posted in another part of the forum about my find. I'm finally gathering up parts to convert an SM-1 to run with Mach3. At least I think it is a SM-1. The swingout arm says SM-1, the serial number starts with SDX. It is vintage 1984. I'm collecting parts (computer, tooling, VFD for the spindle so I don't need 3 phase power). I'm also seeking some info on the servos...

I have no idea what kind of volts and amperage the servos require. A Servomate drive "cluster" is inside, and says it is 90V. However, I am going to replace that with either Rutex or Geckos. It looks like I will need to build my own supply because there is quite a mess of wires poking out everywhere. The servos have labels that are almost unreadable. The readable part is Model E26-4 (or something like that) . They are Electro Craft servos. Does anyone have any info on these servos (max,normal current and voltage) so that I can calculate what I need to be able to supply to whatever drives I buy?

Also, would a 5HP VFD be enough to power this thing through single phase? I think it is a 3HP motor. The sticker says 8.4A, so hopefully a 15A VFD would be enough deration.

Thanks for any info. I think this will be fun but expensive, even though I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible!

I just picked up an SM1 the other day and that would be my future goal to retrofit it. I am interested in wht you find out

Scott

CMC Servomate SM1 info

Hurco liked those Servomate amps - and with good reason.

They used analog +10v, 0v, -10v type DC brush servo amps which are not readily converted to step/direction (not that you would really want to degrade the system with that. (With the tach feedback that analog control is very tight)

You will crawl using geckos as they are not built to run at 90V all day (not to mention reversing loads).

Here is a link to the manual. (Cleveland Motion Controls) Servomate SM1

Thanks for the info

I appreciate the info! I have not progressed very far yet because work keeps me away. If I make any great leaps in progress, I'll post the info.

Thanks again!