585,556 active members*
3,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle drive for CHNC-I

A friend just got a CHNC-I and we are planning a retrofit. The servo amps and axis motors have already been replaced by prior owner. It still has the original spindle motor (A06B-1006-B220#2000) and the original Fanuc spindle drive (A06B-6044-H008). He only has 240 V single-phase power. We do not know the condition of any parts. Is there any possibility of running the Fanuc spindle drive on single phase? If not, are there ordinary VFDs that can run the spindle motor? (I'm guessing, mostly from appearance, that it is a permanent magnet brushless motor, right?)

I think we have the rest of the retrofit fairly well understood, but just need some suggestions on the spindle drive.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: spindle drive for CHNC-I

I don't think the Fanuc drive will run on 1ph, its a 3ph induction motor, 4 pole and 6000 rpm capable.
    That is a nice motor, about a 7.5Hp so it may be a little large to find a VFD that will run on 1 phase 240v.
    Al..
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'm running a similar Fanuc 7.5KW motor on a 10HP GS3 VFD from Automation Direct. Works fine running in sensorless vector mode. I am using a 15 HP rotary phase converter to generate the 3 phase. The GS3 VFD will not accept a single phase input, but I believe that the GS2 units do, check with tech support before purchasing. There are some 15HP VFDs that will accept a single phase input and that should run the motor. I have a 15HP SafeTronics that accepts single phase input.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I don't think the Fanuc drive will run on 1ph, its a 3ph induction motor, 4 pole and 6000 rpm capable.
    That is a nice motor, about a 7.5Hp so it may be a little large to find a VFD that will run on 1 phase 240v.
    Al..
    Right, the MOTOR will certainly not run off single phase. it needs a VFD of some sort. I was wondering if the Fanuc spindle DRIVE would accept single-phase power.
    But, I'm pretty sure the moroe is a permanent magnet type, not an induction motor.

Thanks,

Jon

I meant the drive does not accept 1ph to 3ph conversion as a VFD will.
    The plate shows a 4 pole induction motor.
    You can easily confirm it by shorting the 3 motor leads and trying to spin it by hand fast, If it freezes or is hard to spin, then it is a P.M. motor.
    The info I have it is a normal induction motor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelson View Post
    Right, the MOTOR will certainly not run off single phase. it needs a VFD of some sort. I was wondering if the Fanuc spindle DRIVE would accept single-phase power.
    But, I'm pretty sure the moroe is a permanent magnet type, not an induction motor.

Thanks,

Jon
    If the motor is a permanent magnet then it will say ''Excit Perm Magnet'' on the data tag. You could try connecting single phase to the drive, but I'm guessing you will get a phase loss fault.

Was this machine actually running when purchased or was it a project in process?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If the motor is a permanent magnet then it will say ''Excit Perm Magnet'' on the data tag. You could try connecting single phase to the drive, but I'm guessing you will get a phase loss fault.

Was this machine actually running when purchased or was it a project in process?
    I have a very hard to read pic of the plate, I don't see those words there. We will do the shorted test.

The machine was NOT running. I'm not sure to trust the sellers 3rd person report of what might have been wrong with it. The servo motors and drives were replaced by 2000-vintage MTS brushless motors and drives, that will run off single phase. I don't think there will be any trouble getting the axis drives running in short order.

The turret and other pneumatics will take some work to all get going, but I think it all should be fairly straightforward.

This machine is missing the cutoff slide (not a big deal) and the part catcher (we will likely have to MAKE one, or get it off a parted-out one).

So, the spindle motor/drive is the one issue I don't have completely solved - yet.

Thanks a bunch!

Jon