584,802 active members*
4,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Good basic schematics?

I am CNC'ing a mill for the first time, and today I did very basic research on what contactors, breakers and EMI filters were. I was just hoping someone could link me to some good basic CNC schematics, especially those which use single phase mains power for servos like mine will.

It seems there are a number of ways to set up the on off switches and e-stops with contactors. BTW, are contactors basically glorified on off switches, is that there purpose? + they provide surge protection with some basic addons.
    Also should I use my 24V control voltage to activate the contactors? Seems simpler to just wire up the mains which will supply my servos to also run through a swittch connected to the contactors.
    Should I possibly be using relays instead of contactors since my servos are 3A nominal current 240V, I will probably be using them at 50% capacity mostly?

Breakers seem pretty straightforward in that they stop fires from too much current

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

PS My box will get a look over from an electrician friend once it's designed.

Re: Good basic schematics?

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    I am CNC'ing a mill for the first time, and today I did very basic research on what contactors, breakers and EMI filters were. I was just hoping someone could link me to some good basic CNC schematics, especially those which use single phase mains power for servos like mine will.

It seems there are a number of ways to set up the on off switches and e-stops with contactors. BTW, are contactors basically glorified on off switches, is that there purpose? + they provide surge protection with some basic addons.
    Also should I use my 24V control voltage to activate the contactors? Seems simpler to just wire up the mains which will supply my servos to also run through a swittch connected to the contactors.
    Should I possibly be using relays instead of contactors since my servos are 3A nominal current 240V, I will probably be using them at 50% capacity mostly?

Breakers seem pretty straightforward in that they stop fires from too much current

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

PS My box will get a look over from an electrician friend once it's designed.
    I’m not a controls expert by any means, but as I understand the advantage of relays is that they are more compact and versatile (can be wired NO or NC), but usually can’t be found with more than a 15A rating. Contactors are larger and normally they are only NO devices, but are capable of much higher amp ratings.

In either case, make sure that the coil voltage matches the control voltage that you’re using. In my panel I have some relays that have a 24VDC coil and some contactors that have a 120VAC coil.

Basically, relays/contactors allow you to control one circuit using another circuit. This means that your control circuits (control boards, switches, etc) can be made with lower (or different) voltage and/or amperage components than that of what your controlling.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk