585,715 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Need CNC/NC Machinists

Our client is a major oilfield service company located in North Houston. We are seeking CNC/NC machinists with at least one year of experience. This is a direct hire opportunity. A brief job description is below. Mazak/Mazatrol experience is a plus. Interested, qualified candidates may email their resume to [email protected]

Candidates must be located in the greater Houston area and/or be willing to pay for their own relocation to Houston.

Sets-up and operates special purpose equipment, conventional (lathe and/or mill), and/or numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers for fabrication of metallic and nonmetallic parts.

Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and geometry. Ability to calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, depth and angle of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media

Troubleshoot equipment and perform corrective maintenance in breakdown situations.

Knowledge of Mazak and/or Mazatrol is a plus. Candidates must be open to any shift. Shift differential paid for 2nd and 3rd shift.

I see a trend toward looking for people with less and less experience!!!
    Mark D. Walton
    Ridge Runnin' Mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by mad mark View Post
    Well, MM, it is a sad fact that people with decent machining experience are going the way of the dinosaurs. We have one guy with 30 years senority, and 1 year's experience, so it isn't all about the young people. It seems to me that a lot of machining is just commonsense. Unfortunately that is a commodity missing in many...especially in our young people. That and a willingness to learn. Pride in a job well done has also vanished for the most part.

Glad I found this site. At least people here are knowledgeable, care, and are williing to share that knowledge. I have already learned a couple things.

BTW, the last guy we employed came from Burger King. At least he knows how to fry the tools!

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mad mark View Post
    Well, MM, it is a sad fact that people with decent machining experience are going the way of the dinosaurs. We have one guy with 30 years senority, and 1 year's experience, so it isn't all about the young people. It seems to me that a lot of machining is just commonsense. Unfortunately that is a commodity missing in many...especially in our young people. That and a willingness to learn. Pride in a job well done has also vanished for the most part.

Glad I found this site. At least people here are knowledgeable, care, and are williing to share that knowledge. I have already learned a couple things.

BTW, the last guy we employed came from Burger King. At least he knows how to fry the tools!
    I see the same trend noted by mad mark.

The other trend I'm seeing is the growing number of companies using agencies.

Once I encountered a man from an agency with supposedly 20 years as a toolmaker who could not figure out why he could not drill a hole on a Bridgeport. He was running the spindle in reverse. He lasted about 20 minutes. lol.

I'm one of those dinosaurs you speak of g-codeguy, lol.

I have to agree with you. "Made in America" has lost much of it's meaning.

Talk about lack of common sense... I started a new job about a month ago.

One of first setups there was a job previously programmed by my boss, who's run the shop for 12 years.

I was told to use a 55 degree boring bar to finish (3 degree lead angle). So I run off 12 pieces and the boring insert breaks at the back of the bore. On steel tube material.

So I go to my boss and tell him I can't make a 45 degree ID chamfer with that 55 degree tool. He was like, why not?- he does it all the time with that bar.

When I explained there's only 32 degrees maximum clearance, his answer was that it's just a corner break and don't worry about it. No 35 degree bar in house. I had 4 more inserts and 600 pcs to run, lol, so I edited the program and broke the edge with a red handle during cycle on my own initiative.

I don't understand how that job was run before.

Now my boss pretty much doesn't tell me how to do jobs on the Okuma, he just feeds me the jobs. I like it like that.

I left Chicago 5 years ago and I've encountered more lack of common sense in the past 5 years on the Wisconsin border than I did in 24 years in Chicago and nearby areas. I think a large part of this is the trend noted by mad mark.

btw, I'm still feeling out this forum, and it's nice to see comments like yours.

Roadrunner, I've been on here less than 2 weeks. I spent some time reading posts that I hoped would fit in with what I do. Some of the names I remember are Geof, Gar, Steve, cadcam, Al, Mark, and a couple others. They all are much more knowledgeable than I, and are willing to help others.

I've been programming lathes for the last 22 years. Worked in sheet metal before that...programming the last 1-1/2 years before the company closed down. It was in business for more than 100 years. Hope I wasn't the cause of its closing!

My biggest problem has been working for the same company all these years. You have a chance to learn more by moving around. Not fond of that personally. The moving, not the learning!

I wrote some master programs for families of studs ranging from 10-32 to 1/2-20 (from 8620) years ago after finding out about macros. Only dimension that changed on these studs was the dimension from the face to the 1st shoulder.

Learned how to use IF statements about a year ago. Just finished a master program Friday for a new family of 3/8-24 studs made from X30 material. All the Z-dimensions vary. Set-up person puts the print dimensions in variables. This program uses 500 series macros for controlling diameter offset wear only, and common variables for everything else. Was using 500 series macros for everything before that.

I am kind of proud of this program. Material a different size this time? Want to change the DOC, SFM, maximum RPM, or Feedrate for roughing? Running a long part and the finish turning tool is chattering? Get crossed drilled in the threads? Cross drilled next to the head? Does it get any internal work? (Bore & drill sizes standard.) Length of the bored hole change? Depth of the 7/64 inch drill change? Want to change the cross drill RPM? Its feedrate?

All handled by variables at the beginning of the program. Program sets the workshift. Can't change the workshift based on the part length once it goes below 1.3 inches or the thread roll tool won't clear the wall. Program checks for this and sets workshift accordingly. Parts getting cross drilled next to head require an extra .4 added to the workshift for the live tool to clear the spindle nose. Program takes care of this.

Adding a couple more variables for controlling the different diameters that the 8620 studs have should allow me to run 3/8-24 studs from any material, of any material size, and with varying diameters with just this one program. Naturally this can be done for all the others size studs.

I am looking forward to taking this on-line course. Should be a big help.

http://www.universalclass.com/i/crn/8888.htm

And a big "Welcome" to the forum. Lots of good information here. If you have a problem, just ask. Someone is usually willing to help. I apologize for the long post, but none of my friends are interested in this stuff. At least on here the people are machinists, and although they probably don't a hoot about my ramblings, it does give me a place to chat with someone that can understand what I am talking about if they do decide to take a read.

g-codeguy,

No need to apologize for the length of your post, I enjoyed it.

None of my friends are interested in this stuff either, lol.

I agree, working in job shops yields more knowledge as opposed to working for a company which only manufactures it's own products, and I always like to learn more. The moving around is getting old though.

That course you linked to looks good, I'm interested myself now. Thanks for sharing that link.

I think you should be proud of your stud macros, especially if you've taught yourself how to use parametric programming.

The extent of my parametric programming experience has been for probing. Imho, parametric programming is fascinating. I think you've made great use of it so far.

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm looking forward to bumping into you here on the boards.

We probably look like a couple of thread jackers to trg77056 right now tho, lol.

So far I'm impressed with this forum.

I suspect in the case of this Houston employer, it's not that they wouldn't like someone with more experience, they are just willing to settle for as little as a year because they are bombed with work. At $3.30 a gallon, a lot of drilling projects make sense that aren't worth doing at lower fuel prices. trg77056, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

Once I encountered a man from an agency with supposedly 20 years as a toolmaker who could not figure out why he could not drill a hole on a Bridgeport. He was running the spindle in reverse. He lasted about 20 minutes. lol...
    I think I worked with that guy at Boeing. :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    Pride in a job well done has also vanished for the most part. BTW, the last guy we employed came from Burger King. At least he knows how to fry the tools!
    I hear you there g-codeguy. It is truly sad. I was asked to teach some classes for a tool & die apprentiship program through the U.S. Dept of labor.
    The guys I was getting in my classes were very disapointing. It seemed impossible to motivate most of them no matter what I did. I had one guy ask me if he was getting at least a C for a class. I asked him "dont you want to do better than that?"
    His reply was "as long as I get a C, my boss will pay for the class."
    I told him "you better either get busy in class or start saving some money"
    I did have the pleasure to work with a few students who was not only highly motivated but was very disapointed if their work was not exceptional. They made it all worthwhile.
    I was disapointed that few of the students ( maybe 1 in 15 )were actually getting certified in Tool & Die. Most recieved machinist certification due to the fact that the shops they worked in did cnc production machining.
    They were all required to take the same classes.

Hey you guys, your looking in the wrong place! There are some absolutely killer jobs in Sacramento right now. All most all of them are $25.00 to $40.00 an hour!!!! I've been seeing this phenomenon for about the last 6 months.
    If you got any real experience I suggest here is a good place to start. (nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Hey you guys, your looking in the wrong place! There are some absolutely killer jobs in Sacramento right now. All most all of them are $25.00 to $40.00 an hour!!!! I've been seeing this phenomenon for about the last 6 months.
    Sounds good. Got a job for me? I've got 22 years experience programming and setting up lathes. Might have to pass, tho. I think the commute might be a little costly at todays gas prices. I live on the PA/NJ border!

Thanks for the info Big Daddy.

The pay range sounds good. How was the pay range before? (prior to the previous 6 months)

I haven't considered relocating to California- but maybe it's time for me to give it some thought.

Man the pay scale was still up there but it took a little while for the industry to come back. Now its rockin! I ANTE KIDDIN!!!!

Use careerbuilder.com and type in sac-of-tomato i mean Sacramento, Ca & CNC Machinist, keep your eyes on it though. It makes me want to drop everything an "MOVE"!

Use careerbuilder.com and type in sac-of-tomato i mean Sacramento, Ca & CNC Machinist, keep your eyes on it though. It makes me want to drop everything an "MOVE"!
    After doing as you suggested- I know the feeling. lol.

I noticed agencies are prevalent in the Sac area, like Chicago. I've had a couple bad experiences with agencies. Regardless, thanks for the lead, I'm going to keep an eye on that.

I do peep the job ads on career builder, only for the Chicago area.

One thing I need to research a little is cost of living. I looked at one site last night, "Cost of Living Wizard". According to that "wizard", cost of living in Sac is 12.2% lower than Chicago, and wages are .08% less.

I have a lady friend in northern Cali, and it's been my understanding that the cost of living is significantly higher there. I don't believe everything I see on the net anyway.

I am a Reservist for the AF in San Antonio who is activated right now. I transfered into the machine shop 6 months ago and can't go to the Machinst School until September. I tried to go to the local community college(the only one in town that has any machining classes) only to find out that they were not offering any machining classes due to the lack of interest in the field. They told me that I could take a course on robotics but that was it. Our shop has a Harding Quest 6/42 that has never been turned on and a Fadal VMC 4020 with a 104D controller which is used every couple of weeks/months. No one in our shop know how to write code, me and the other two guys that use the machine only use FeatureCam to program anything. I really appreciate this site and everyone on it. Now I wish I could find some part time around to help me actually learn CNC and not just how to make features and hope the code is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tate View Post
    I am a Reservist for the AF in San Antonio who is activated right now. I transfered into the machine shop 6 months ago and can't go to the Machinst School until September. I tried to go to the local community college(the only one in town that has any machining classes) only to find out that they were not offering any machining classes due to the lack of interest in the field. They told me that I could take a course on robotics but that was it. Our shop has a Harding Quest 6/42 that has never been turned on and a Fadal VMC 4020 with a 104D controller which is used every couple of weeks/months. No one in our shop know how to write code, me and the other two guys that use the machine only use FeatureCam to program anything. I really appreciate this site and everyone on it. Now I wish I could find some part time around to help me actually learn CNC and not just how to make features and hope the code is right.
    Hey, Tate. Need someone to write an occasional program for the Hardinge? We've got five 42's and a 51.

Edit: If you can read G-code with no problem, then you could learn a little something more. I program the way I do because I also set-up and ran the machines for years. Still do set-ups.

You know Tate living in an ideal world everybody gets to go to school for the trade however in the real world sometimes (most of the time) that just isn’t the case. It sounds like to me, you just need some to take a chance on you and give you a job in the industry. I remember after I got out of the Marines mega moons ago, my plains meant to go to this one collage because they offered the finest apprenticeship program in the county. But the only problem with that was the program was booked for two years in advanced. Even in high school, they offered trade school if you were a junior or a senior and again the class was booked solid. I ended up taking Sheet Metal instead. What I’m saying is this, “if this is what you want to do with your life,,, for the most of us, OJT is the way to get ahead.” Looking back on my experience almost 30 years later, I don’t think I would change anything. After all I started out at the bottom and worked my way through the trade all the way up to C.E.O. But if you really have to go to school, might I recommend trying to enroll into the best program sponsored by the N.T.M.A. (National Tooling and Machinist Association) you can find they’re classes around the country and in every state.
    PS; Play with that FeatureCam!! If its the new stuff,, its the most powerful software I've ever seen.
    and good luck!

Tate,

Imho, the best CNC programmers are the ones who were good machinists on manual equipment first. There's no substitute for that experience and knowledge.

I beleive just about anyone can program CNC using CAD/CAM software, it's a matter of learning to use the software. But making a program that works the first time depends largely on knowledge of the characteristics of the materials you're machining, i.e. ... how much depth of cut to take per pass, how much stock to leave to get the surface finish finish the print calls out, feedrate and surface footage also. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I've encountered plenty of guys who went to school to program, but in reality they were not machinists, and subsequently lots of edits have to be made on the floor to get the part made.

I suggest you start taking the manuals for your machines home- and read them. Learn the G and M codes for your machines, and learn the formats of your machine's canned cycles. Photocopy that info and keep it handy in your toolbox while you're learning.

Both the Hardinge Conquest and the Fadal have pretty straight forward controllers.

It may not be a bad idea to try and find a course on manual machining.

I'm sure you can find plenty of good info and help here on CNCzone.

Good luck!

The local college that offered the CNC courses could not get enough students to fill the classes on shop math, milling, lathe work, and about 4 other classes that they were offering. I do get to work with a manual mill and lathe when we have work that isn't needed immediately. I was trying to take the CNC courses because I will be spending five months working on shop math, manual machining and welding. This school is a required Air Force school. I was just trying to take the college courses to fill the time. Our Quality Assurance has determined that On The Job Training is for when you get back from the machinist school in Maryland. If I were on the outside I would just do the OJT and go with it but since I am on the military dime I have to play by there rules.

Roadrunner I agree with you about people going to school and having paper saying that they are a machinist and not having any actual experience. I have done a lot of work in the automotive world and have run into many "mechanics" who didn't know the first thing about working on a car.

Well, I gotta go beg to spend some time on the Bridgeport.

Page 1 of 2 12