584,841 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Can anyone duplicate NYC CNC results with the LSC TAS endmills on the 1100?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Can anyone duplicate NYC CNC results with the LSC TAS endmills on the 1100?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Aren't you supposed to use the Weldon flats on your cutters when using the set screw holders? That prevents vertical movement. (Well, depending on how big the flats are and how hard you tighten, "too much" vertical movement...)

What material/flute count? That feed/speed sounds like a four-flute in steel, perhaps?
    I don't use a flat. The flat is optional when ordering, but I didn't plan for using it since I figured it would shatter(as my 1/4 did) well before any other issues(slipping) occurred.
    The material is 6061, the TAS are 3 flute variable.
    I started off with the feeds/speeds in John's video and worked from there to get the best sounding, chip making, and fastest removal I was comfortable with.
    I was hoping for fast removal rate and a decent tool life. I haven't been disappointed so far.

That's surprisingly slow speed for that feed, but I guess that's the point of these tools!

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Saunders demonstrated that a Weldon flat wasn't needed, if I recall. But, yes, a flat is a good idea despite that. The value of a flat -on HSS, anyway- is that when (not if) the setscrew makes a burr, it's below the surface. With carbide, I'd bet that the tool itself would crack before a setscrew could make a burr

Note to OP: why not e-mail John? He's always helpful.

I have posted the question on the videos of in the discussion section on his YouTube page but he has not responded to any of them. I could email and see if he replies.

Quote Originally Posted by nodott View Post
    I have posted the question on the videos of in the discussion section on his YouTube page but he has not responded to any of them. I could email and see if he replies.
    I always run max spindle speed in aluminum.
    If max MRR is the goal, the maritool 3 flute ZRN serrated rougher is amazing. I can up the feed by 30%. But it is also mounted in a r8 shank holder. I follow by finishing with the yg1 for that nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I always run max spindle speed in aluminum.
    If max MRR is the goal, the maritool 3 flute ZRN serrated rougher is amazing. I can up the feed by 30%. But it is also mounted in a r8 shank holder. I follow by finishing with the yg1 for that nice finish.

Are you using a collet or set screw for the Maritool?

Are you using a collet or set screw for the Maritool?
    It's a set screw, no Weldon shank on the end mill . Never had a slipping issue.

Worth a try. Whenever I have sent John an e-mail I've had a response within a day or so. Remember he's running a business, and those youtube videos generate a lot of comments. Easy to miss a question or serious comment in all the noise there.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Worth a try. Whenever I have sent John an e-mail I've had a response within a day or so. Remember he's running a business, and those youtube videos generate a lot of comments. Easy to miss a question or serious comment in all the noise there.
    +1. John has always responded to my emails asking direct questions. Seems he only responds to youtube comments in the first couple days after the video is released. He has several hundred videos, wouldn't expect him to keep checking for recent comments on all of them.

I finally got around to making a video. Please ignore the areas that I still need to tweak my operations. However, about the 4:38 mark, the TAS gets to eat...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyUFN View Post
    I finally got around to making a video. Please ignore the areas that I still need to tweak my operations. However, about the 4:38 mark, the TAS gets to eat...
    ]

What are you speeds/feed on the fly cutter and the tas? what size is it?

The part looks to be 1-1.5" tall.. why not 2 passes at .75 (if 1.5" tall)

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    What are you speeds/feed on the fly cutter and the tas? what size is it?

The part looks to be 1-1.5" tall.. why not 2 passes at .75 (if 1.5" tall)
    Sorry, I've replaced the video with the one that shows the cutting data.

I've shortened the DOC to account for having extra tool stick-out. There is less than 1" in the holder, and I'm not comfortable with it taking such large cuts that far out.

I've shortened the DOC to account for having extra tool stick-out. There is less than 1" in the holder, and I'm not comfortable with it taking such large cuts that far out.

It looks like that was also using a set crew tool holder. That is the one thing that I still need to try.

Awesome, Thanks. If you choked up on the tooling more and was able to go down 1" what would your feeds/speeds be? My roughing goes around the part at 1" doc .04woc at 4500rpm. the interior pocket is only 0.5doc

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Awesome, Thanks. If you choked up on the tooling more and was able to go down 1" what would your feeds/speeds be? My roughing goes around the part at 1" doc .04woc at 4500rpm. the interior pocket is only 0.5doc
    At 1" deep, I'd think you would have issues with chip evac. It's what I saw when I tried... the chips didn't clear as efficiently.

I've only run successfully at 0.8" doc, 0.08woc, 3750rpm, 50ipm successfully (approx 1.2" stickout).

Last night, I was experimenting with both-ways adaptive and clogged up all the flutes(same stick-out as my video making the same part, 1.65" deep). 0.65" doc, 0.08 woc, 3700 rpm, 45 ipm. chip-welding the TAS is a painful experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    That appears to be a 4-flute mill. Does it work well in aluminum? What recipe are you using (DoC, WoC, feed, rpm)?
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I just got a chance this weekend to run a test just like the one on NYCNC, but with the Accusize 1/2" 4FL.

https://www.amazon.com/AccusizeTools.../dp/B00VGR6EVK

Up to 5 MRR was a breeze, 6 MRR was a struggle. I was making cuts in 4" of 6061 at 0.25" and 0.50" DOC and 0.4" WOC. John's first cut was at 0.5" WOC, which I think was a mistake, because all of the later cuts appeared to be at 0.4" WOC. You can tell they weren't at 0.5" WOC like the first one. I also did conventional milling like he did, though I almost always do climb milling. I think he did 0.3" and 0.5" DOC, while I did 0.25" and 0.5", because doubling the DOC doubles the HP & MRR (the math is easier to follow).

RPM: 3000, WOC: 0.4", DOC: 0.25", Stickout: 1.25"

I did cuts at feed rates of 30 ipm (3 MRR), 40 ipm (4 MRR), 50 ipm (5 MRR) and 60 ipm (6 MRR). 60 ipm was a struggle. In fact I aborted half way through (didn't want to break the end mill). But 50 ipm was a piece of cake. 50 ipm = 1.07 hp, and 60 ipm = 1.28 hp (all of this is according to GWizard).

RPM: 3000, WOC: 0.4", DOC: 0.5", Stickout: 1.25"

I did cuts from 10 to 25 IPM (I didn't try 6 MRR again). Again, up through 25 ipm and 5 MRR was fine.

Normally, I run it between 2 and 4 MRR. I use it mostly for adaptive clearing, not long cuts like this test, and it just doesn't present the opportunity for such aggressive DOC/WOC, but it does fine up to 5 MRR. Also, it has a 1.25" LOC and I don't want it to deflect (or break). I was hesitant to push it all the way to 6 MRR like that, because it is a long end mill, but I guess it is also a thick end mill as well.

Finally, I measured the tool after all of the cuts, and I didn't see any pull out. I follow the procedures outlined by Tormach, and I also put grease on the (ER32) collet nut. I think the serrations on the flutes also help avoid pullout.

I also run it at 2500 and lower ipm late at nite to quiet it down.

Right now I am still prototyping a lot, so I don't know how well this end mill will hold up in production. It isn't a carbide, but it certainly holds up well for prototyping use. I started with carbides, and broke them because I din't know what I was doing. I think I know what I am doing now, but haven't had the need yet for a lot of carbide tooling, though I love the carbide 3FL finish mills from Tormach.

Great info. Thanks!
    I've been using the ENCO 3 flute rougher and am on my last one. Been looking for a reasonably priced replacement.

Glad to see John has finally started playing with the Alu-Power endmills. Saw a video from him yesterday where he is going on about the mirror finish they can produce. Interestingly, the very first video of his I remember seeing was when he was still playing with his Taig in his apartment years ago and he was trying to get mirror finishes in aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQVBSoXlEc
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

One of the sweetest cutter designs I come across in a long time. I enjoy the finish and speed they can run at with low noise / silent cutting.
    I keep a full set of yg1 1/8,1/4,3/8,1/2- 3 flute ticn coated in holders ready to go. Also a set for steel. Ordered and received a set of replacements about 2 weeks ago from sct. I also added a couple of the ball end mill sizes

Page 2 of 2 12