584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question MultiCAM MG 207

My machine took a large bump while it was powered up. Operator dropped a 10mm plate flat onto the table near the rear mounted control box.

Now the keypad reads “communication Error with Inverter”

I suspect the VFD got damaged. If I can’t replace the unit with a exact model match I will need to swap out the VFD and control the spindle with either a pot or +/- 10v.

2 questions:

How do I disable MODBUS in the parameters ?

And

How can I connect the new VFD to +/- 10v on the M24 board ?

Thanks

Re: MultiCAM MG 207

Which VFD do you have 1st.

If you disable the Modbus then the easiest thing would be to manually turn on the spindle and control speed through a separate 10 volt supply. Move then likely the controller will not understand a random VFD, as there are modules in the M24 that handle the VFD and spindles.

Do not try to tap into the board, if you fry that board, There is no fix for it and Multicam is not repairing them anymore you would have to change controllers.

Re: MultiCAM MG 207

I swapped to a bigger spindle so i had to replace the vfd, turns out the new (to me) yaskawa VFD had a faulty MODBUS circuit so I had to use 0-10v analog instead(param 196), There is a thread somewhere around here i used (couple years ago) that discussed this. Search and u will probably find it.
    I hooked up an external 12v to the M24 as per the suggestion in the thread and it starts,stops and sets the speed i specify so it works but i much prefer the modbus connection.

Spindle doesnt break as efficiently(quickly) as it doesnt know what speed its at, it doesnt know when the spindle has reached desired speed either so u need to set X wait time value. If i set 12k rpms its pretty much dead on but lower or higher it deviates exponentially. Sure I could probably better shield the 12v line and also adjust in the VFD parameters to comp for this but meh.

Make sure to check modbus(or all) wires before anything, something could just have come loose.

Hmm just remembered i might have had to install a relay for the startsignal to the VFD. Memory is somewhat fuzzy.