584,808 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Connecting MPG to MK3/4

Hello

Just ordered the mk3/4 controller with the 16 pin “breakout board” for connecting a mpg pendant.
    It is exactly the same mpg as offered on the Planet CNC website.
    I am wondering how it should be connected since the pins on the JOG-connector doesn’t seem to match up with the mpg

Best regards
    Andreas Landsfeldt

Re: Connecting MPG to MK3/4

Mk3/4 does not support MPG. Only Mk3 controller supports MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Mk3/4 does not support MPG. Only Mk3 controller supports MPG.
    Mk3/4 doesn't support MPG at all? I see there's an option to use pin-outs EN A and EN B for handwheel encoder. Does Mk3/4 have pin-outs for used for MD1/2 and AX1/2? I'd really like to have a MPG pendant...

I am also interested in this topic.
    Why do we need pin ALT1 and ALT2?

Mk3/4 does not have pins for encoders. It is not possible to connect standard MPG.
    However TNG v2 will support wireless MPGs on all Mk3 series controllers.

ALT1 and ALT2 were used for alternate jogging modes, for example synchronized jogging on lathes.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Mk3/4 does not have pins for encoders. It is not possible to connect standard MPG.
    However TNG v2 will support wireless MPGs on all Mk3 series controllers.

ALT1 and ALT2 were used for alternate jogging modes, for example synchronized jogging on lathes.
    I'm assuming V2 will also have g41/42 fixed? Will it be ported to Raspian as V1 is? Is there an ETA for release?

Yes, TNGv2 will have G41/g42.

It will be available for windows, Linux, RPi and MacOS (Sierra or higher).

ETA is couple of months.

Hello,

I am also interested in this topic. As far as I know, MK3/4 doesn't have a connector for direct MPG connection.
    Support told here, that there will be a support for Wireless MPG connection. Does it mean, that MPG will be connected directly to the system as "keyboard"? So in SW is just necessary to set a shortcut to these "simulated" keyboard, or ...?
    Correct me please, if I am wrong. MK3/4 has a JOG connector for external keyboard connection. The machine is moving until a key is pressed. So what about convert AB signal from encoder to "key press". It will create a signal for one step to +/- regarding to encoder direction. There will an another switch for axes selection like JOG1/2-X, JOG3/4-Y and JOG5/6-Z. And the latest switch will select a "multiply" ratio like step*1/10/100. What do you think about it?
    I could create a "controlling" prototype board if this is working.

Here is a photo of new wireless MPG.
    Receiver connects to USB.
    Thin MPG will work with new TNGv2 software.
    Mk3, Mk3/4, Mk3DRV, Mk3ECO, ... all Mk3 series controllers are supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Deklos View Post
    Hello,

I am also interested in this topic. As far as I know, MK3/4 doesn't have a connector for direct MPG connection.
    Support told here, that there will be a support for Wireless MPG connection. Does it mean, that MPG will be connected directly to the system as "keyboard"? So in SW is just necessary to set a shortcut to these "simulated" keyboard, or ...?
    Correct me please, if I am wrong. MK3/4 has a JOG connector for external keyboard connection. The machine is moving until a key is pressed. So what about convert AB signal from encoder to "key press". It will create a signal for one step to +/- regarding to encoder direction. There will an another switch for axes selection like JOG1/2-X, JOG3/4-Y and JOG5/6-Z. And the latest switch will select a "multiply" ratio like step*1/10/100. What do you think about it?
    I could create a "controlling" prototype board if this is working.
    Hello again!

After some time, I've finished my custom MPG JOG controller. First, It doesn't have as much features as "PlanetCNC wireless" version, but for me is enough.
    My version has only three "features": Axis selection, Speed selection, Start/pause/stop program and of course JOG for moving.

I have used a Microchip MCU PIC18F14K50 which communicates with electronic over USB. There is no magic behind, just read input from rotary encoder, switches and blink with status LED over output. PlanetCNC process information from my device via Usb.txt and Expr.txt files. I think, pictures are better for making some idea how the device should looks like.
    Attachment 446778Attachment 446780Attachment 446782Attachment 446784

At the end, I would like really thanks for great support from PlanetCNC side. They give me a support to get my device working as I was expecting at beginning.

Good job.
    I'd like to be able to do this.