585,908 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Powering up the machine
Page 1 of 2 12

Powering up the machine

Just got my Partner 1 placed in the garage. I believe it to be 220v single phase. But how can I be sure?

I have a 220v outlet in my garage that i run my TIG welder from. It also powers my 5hp 3 phase converter to run my manual mills. I just need to be sure what power this machine needs.

Re: Powering up the machine

Quote Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    Just got my Partner 1 placed in the garage. I believe it to be 220v single phase. But how can I be sure?

I have a 220v outlet in my garage that i run my TIG welder from. It also powers my 5hp 3 phase converter to run my manual mills. I just need to be sure what power this machine needs.
    Can you do a photo of the machine information tag

Why would you have a 5Hp phase converter for you manual mills, a simple VFD is all you need to run them, which is more efficient than any type of phase converter

Some of these mills you can run on single phase, most have a 7.5 Hp spindle motor so you will need at least 60 Amp supply @ 240v if you live in NA what servo motors ? Drives does it have
    Mactec54

Found some unplugged cables. I don't want to guess where they go before powering up. Any tips?

And this guy coming from what I'm guessing is a climate control box? Is it just a 110v power cord?

Pics of the machine tag and where the main power cord meets the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180414_142212.jpg   20180414_142226.jpg  

Found some unplugged cables. I don't want to guess where they go before powering up. Any tips?
    These cables may be for a forth axes board, need some more photos

Does this model have AC servos
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    These cables may be for a forth axes board, need some more photos

Does this model have AC servos
    I wouldn't know how to tell if it has AC servos...?

Pics of the machine tag and where the main power cord meets the machine.
    That has a 3phase supply, so without a electrical Schematic, there is no way of knowing for sure

Someone has put a jumper on L1 and L2 I don't thing that would be a good idea

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't know how to tell if it has AC servos...?
    Take more photos I will soon tell you what you have
    Mactec54

I would wager that the loose plugs are just pre wiring for a 4th axis. Mine was an ultra basic model and was wired to upgrade to a 4th axis.

The loose cord could be for the coolant pump if it's coming out under the giant resistor, that's where my coolant pump plugs in

Its definitely a 3 phase input though. A pic and make/model on the vfd would help the guys that know these machines inside and out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

More pics. Not sure exactly what you need to see...?

Found this plate after removing the big cover off the Z axis.. Says 5 HP 3 Phase. The main reason I questioned it is the original owner told me it was wired for single phase. I will have to contact him to see what he meant about that. He might have done something to the wiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180414_145553.jpg  

I sent the original owner a message. He believes it is currently wired for 220 single phase. But it is originally a 3 phase machine.

Has anyone here wired there similar machine to accept single phase? If so, has it caused any issues? I would actually prefer to run it single phase if it does not affect it in any bad way. If it is a bad idea, how would I make sure to wire it back to its original configuration?

Hook your 30 amp single phase lines to L1 and L3 and the ground wire to the big stud on back of cabinet with the large white and green wire connected . That's how both of my P1's are wired.

You just lose about a 1/3 or more horsepower from spindle motor.

I used to run on my 20 hp phase converter but they work fine on single phase and no more idler making more noise than machines.

Your 5hp phase converter is to small to reliably start the spindle motor.

Wire nut the wires that probably go to the coolant pump so they don't short out.

Ron

The blue and red and black connectors are for a 4th axis card.

Most of them came pre wired for a 4th drive card.

Just make sure they cant short out on bottom of cabinet.

What's your single phase voltage if less that 240 you may be ok without changing the main transformer taps if more than 240 you will have to retap to lower voltage to your DC rectifier 110-130 max output from transformer

I agree that the loose wires are for an optional 4th axis - my machine has them too. This photo also shows the Servo Amps - I see the name Glentek on the label. I'm fairly certain that the Glentek amps are used for brush type DC servos. Mine has the Servo Dynamics Amplifiers and it has the AC servos. Your servo motors are probably round in shape - my AC Servo motors are in square extrusions. Both types use a DC power supply for power to the amps and motors. I am in the process of getting my machine up and running (it hqas drive problems) but I am running it on single phase. It looks like the only thing that was actually connected 3 phase on mine is the VFD for the spindle.

More pics. Not sure exactly what you need to see...?
    I notice that you have a different VFD for the spindle than my machine - you might look up the model on the internet and see what it says about running single phase - some will, some won't - I noticed that you said there was a jumper between two phases of the input - I have seen that recommended in some VFD literature for use on single phase. That jumper tells me the previous owner was running it on single phase (or had at least attempted to to).

Sne 2 The GPD515 VFD is a newer VFD then the one the machine came with. Yes it can be run 1 phase. There are 2 ways to wire a machine for 1 phase.1. (my choice) run the incoming power to L1 and L3, jumper either L1 or L3 to L2.. this leaves the VFD "feeling" a 3rd phase.

2. wire incoming power to L1 and L3 leave L2 empty. at the VFD remove the wire at L2 and jumper L1 to L3.

check your incoming power, there is a 220 to 110 transformer below the disconnect switch. install the H2 wire to the closest voltage terminal,, ( usually) h2 =202, H3 = 220, h4= 260)

sportybob

Here is how it was wired. Thanks to rl49, he sent me an image of his running on Single phase to compare.

I moved the green wire from power cord to the main ground stud. Should be good to go now to atleast turn on.

But I'm still unsure abiut the loose wire coming out of the bottom with the end cut off. It follows the rear corner of the box all the way up and then leads to the distrubution block.

Bow can i be sure these wires are in the correct location and what it is used for. I do have a coolant box with pump. But it dosnt have any wires coming from it. Im assuming they were worn and ripped kff at one point in time...

If they are hooked to terminals F1 And F2 on the terminal block above the disconnect they are the power to the coolant pump.

To power up today just wire nut the ends outside of cabinet so they do not short together.

Page 1 of 2 12