584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is my Laser Tube going bad or Power questions???

Hello, I have an extra tube that came with my machine that was never used. I recently started using it and it's only been a month. Last night it suddenly lost most of its power mid-cut. After checking focus I went home then came back in this morning. I was excited to find the laser cutting at full power again but it only lasted about 30 minutes before it lost almost all power and was barely cutting. I checked the lens for damage then checked the focus. I noticed that the laser was firing a circle with an empty middle. I then started to trouble shoot starting at the tube itself. I fired the tube onto a piece of wood and got the same thing, low power and a circle with an empty middle. I tested the power supply next and used the resister that came with the laser. The power was firing at full power so I've determined that the supply was fine. I also learned that there's a lens in the tube itself and I did a visual check looking in the end of the tube and all looked fine. I also did a visual check of the tube which looks fine. That's about as far as I've gotten but at this point I fear it's the tube that's gone or if not I don't know what else to troubleshoot. Any ideas? I've attached a photo of what the laser looks like when it hits the piece. 150W Chinese tube water chilled. The water temp is fine. Same as it's always been. The only thing that puzzles me is that the laser light is purple and everything I read says that a purple light means the tube is good. Also, why would it work after sitting for then night for 30 more minutes? Either it has gas or it doesn't right? I didn't see any slow decline in the power, it just instantly lost power.

Re: Is my Laser Tube going bad or Power questions???

Check if one from clamps / tube holders is not too tight. Someone claim earlier there is a possibility to tube is slightly stretched/compressed along when is mechanically working and this cause such effects.
    Polish @ Éire

Quote Originally Posted by dogeatdog5 View Post
    Hello, I have an extra tube that came with my machine that was never used. I recently started using it and it's only been a month. Last night it suddenly lost most of its power mid-cut. After checking focus I went home then came back in this morning. I was excited to find the laser cutting at full power again but it only lasted about 30 minutes before it lost almost all power and was barely cutting. I checked the lens for damage then checked the focus. I noticed that the laser was firing a circle with an empty middle. I then started to trouble shoot starting at the tube itself. I fired the tube onto a piece of wood and got the same thing, low power and a circle with an empty middle. I tested the power supply next and used the resister that came with the laser. The power was firing at full power so I've determined that the supply was fine. I also learned that there's a lens in the tube itself and I did a visual check looking in the end of the tube and all looked fine. I also did a visual check of the tube which looks fine. That's about as far as I've gotten but at this point I fear it's the tube that's gone or if not I don't know what else to troubleshoot. Any ideas? I've attached a photo of what the laser looks like when it hits the piece. 150W Chinese tube water chilled. The water temp is fine. Same as it's always been. The only thing that puzzles me is that the laser light is purple and everything I read says that a purple light means the tube is good. Also, why would it work after sitting for then night for 30 more minutes? Either it has gas or it doesn't right? I didn't see any slow decline in the power, it just instantly lost power.
    Looks optical to me, check the burn pattern just after the tube and after each mirror. Tubes age at the same rate if they are used or are sitting in a box. Check the coolant flow to the tube is correct, in at the bottom fitting and out at the highest. If it flows the wrong way you can get a air bubble around the inner tube causing localised heating and possibly this strange mode shape.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks, this is the burn pattern coming directly from the tube. It's the same once it passed through all mirror. Like I said, it's only been installed for about 2 months. I checked the coolant flow and it's flowing in the correct direction. Visually the tube looks fine and like I said, the color is purple when firing. Power is only 6MA. My water temp is 13C.

I do see a slight arch at the end before it passes through the end but wouldn't the power be full? I'm gettting a huge power drop.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dogeatdog5 View Post
    I do see a slight arch at the end before it passes through the end but wouldn't the power be full? I'm gettting a huge power drop.

-Chris
    6mA is very low power, if everything is normal you should see 26ish mA. Perhaps something is heating up in the power supply. Did you try the test resistor on it after it lost power to see if it could supply a reasonable current? Does the power change if you fire the test pulse by pressing the red test button on the power supply? ( you will probably need a helper)
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bosscncman View Post
    6mA is very low power, if everything is normal you should see 26ish mA. Perhaps something is heating up in the power supply. Did you try the test resistor on it after it lost power to see if it could supply a reasonable current? Does the power change if you fire the test pulse by pressing the red test button on the power supply? ( you will probably need a helper)
    Cheers

It looks like that there is a problem for the power supply.

Thank you.

Peak Glass Inc.
    [email protected]

Hi friend I think the laser tube have leakage problem.The power drop trend is gradually reduce at first but suddenly drop to no any power. From the spot we can see empty in the middle and it is no power already.I don't know which brand you use? But if you want to replace durable one please contact me.skype: jason1982918 or [email protected]