584,829 active members*
5,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > Oil Grooves on Angle Surface of Dovetails, Mill Saddle

Oil Grooves on Angle Surface of Dovetails, Mill Saddle

Seems to me if one is already in the process of placing oil grooves on the flats (I'm in the process) then it might be a good idea to deliver oil to the angles as well. So, say I have a circuit of HSA-1 metering unit, tubing and fitting for each flat. There are six circuits, 2 flats each per axis. Would it be reasonable to cut oil grooves in each angle and hope the circuit could supply both the flat and the angle? It seems to me that there ought to oil to the gib surface as well the opposing angle of the dovetail, for each axis. What do you think?

I'm not sure how you might do that, maybe a slitting saw?
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenji View Post
    I'm not sure how you might do that, maybe a slitting saw?
    As a matter of fact I have done just that on hopes that the circuit supplying the adjacent flat will also supply the angled face as well. There are drilled passages that connects the grooves in the two adjacent dovetail faces.
    The slitting saw teeth are somewhat square but I think that the oil circuit doesn't care what the shape of the bottom of the oil grooves is. It wasn't worth getting a slitting saw with radius teeth that cuts a circular groove (kinda expensive) for just three cuts.

Re: Oil Grooves on Angle Surface of Dovetails, Mill Saddle

Sorry that the picture is sideways - I don't know how to turn it right side on my phone and save it. My phone does odd things from time to time.
    I plan on grooving the gib as well, with a chamfered through hole in the gib to supply oil to the mating dovetail face.
    At least that's the plan, anyway.
    My mill will get rather mild use, so by the time any of this causes a problem, if at all, I suspect I will be 100 years old and it won't matter. HaHaHa !!
    I realize that it would have been better if the oil grooves were set at an angle, relative to the long axis of the dovetail, but again, by the time it causes me a problem, it ain't gonna matter anyway!
    Thanks for your reply.

I will try to post updates on my one shot oiler system to this thread, in hopes that it will benefit others.